The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need "stall rest" ideas...

I fell off my mare on Sun & she stepped on my foot, leaving 3 fractures behind. I am on stall rest for the next month, at least.

Anyone got any ideas on books to read, etc? I like thrillers and nonfiction, especially.

I've got needlework to do, and movies to watch, but it's already getting old!

Whicker...I promise, NOW I'll have time to call you & chat!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Ouch! Stall rest is no fun.

Can someone wheel you out to audit a clinic or something? Or is that a no-no?

Hope your recovery is fast and uneventful.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

learn a foreign language

organize the digital pictures on your computer

address your Christmas cards

http://www.cpm24.tv/index.php?lang=en

http://www.feitv.org/page/LiveSchedule
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Talking just my idears!

I don't know when your cubbing seasons starts out thar but.....there's always car following the hunt. Get permissions, pack food/drink, bring friends and have fun! Will make you feel less left out! And keep you in contact w/everybody! Maybe they'll let you follow on an atv even.

Take up swimming to keep/get in shape. Work on your tan. Go shopping and use those carts - dang that's fun! Walmart has great ones! Use a cane (I mean "walking stick" or hiking stick!) to take some weight off the boo boo leg. Catch up on some sewing. Become a COTH forums monster! Start some trainwrecks!

Yep, the Festus walk is the sign of a true horsewoman!!
    Oh yeah and why is it that Whicker gets a call!? Why not the rest of us!!?
    Last edited by wateryglen; Aug. 31, 2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: I forgot!

WOW ~ you have gotten great ideas ~ I second the posters that mentionned the Christmas cards - select photos and develop some fancy cards and get them addressed with personal notes. That "Cubbing" in the car sounds wonderful also ~ that is a brilliant idea that offers you some quality OUT time ! Sorry you are injured ~ sending healing Jingles ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    Yep, the Festus walk is the sign of a true horsewoman!!
    Oh yeah and why is it that Whicker gets a call!? Why not the rest of us!!?
    'cause i don't have all y'alls' ph#s, just hers!

I've been laid up for a month so far after shoulder surgery.... I feel your pain (just in the shoulder, not the foot!) Sorry. Bad joke.

If you like the TV show "Bones", check out Kathy Reichs books. She is the person that Dr. Brennan on the show was based on. Great author - I have read 8 of her books in the past month.

Her books are located in the "Mystery" section at Barnes & Noble stores. Plus, they're paperback; most are $7.99.

Hope you heal quickly!
    Last edited by tarynls; Aug. 31, 2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: type

Yeah I've been out since the end of April when I took a bad fall and had to have AC reconstruction surgery in my left shoulder. I get to have round two tomorrow when they take the cable out that held everything together as it healed. The doctor won't let me ride until at LEAST December...

The first month that I was on "stall rest", I painted, read books, brushed the horses in the barn, etc. I then got a job for the summer (I'm a college student) and went back to school in the fall.

All of that doesn't really help you though. The best thing that I had to learn was to find activities to do that aren't too strenuous for your injury, but are still fun for you. Don't think of the activities that you can't do and are missing out on, but of all the things that you could try to do instead. Sure it stinks that you can't ride, but you can't spend the next month moping and being depressed about it. (Not speaking to you per say.. just explaining what I did wrong..)
    "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good"
    Official Marestare Addict!

I am on week 4 of stall rest after surgery to put my collarbone back together. 2 more weeks to go, and I'm really bored. The Christmas card idea and also the suggestion of learning a language are great! I've been watching a lot of movies and reading several books, but it does get old. Just finished "Cutting for Stone" which was very good.

Dick Francis books helped me pass the time when I was on crutches for 6 months!

Also watching TV, finding new series to watch. I have come to enjoy most of the series on the USA Networks and have found ways to watch old episodes online. I also bought a Playstation 2 before my 2005 surgery and a horse racing game which I played a lot on those 6 months off :-) I was a champion trainer
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

Thumbs up

thanks for all the suggestions as i can't just keep ordering things from amazon to kill the time!

i don't much mind the not riding, it's usually still hotter than the hinges of hades at this time of year. of course, right now,it isn't. typical!

i've ordered a bunch of jilly cooper books, and a few others. have netflix.

the real hangups are that 1, i can't drive and 2, i have to spend most of the day with my foot elevated above my heart

i haven't tried to cross-stitch this way but i might tomorrow.

i like the idea of learning a new language. i really need to progress beyond toddler level in asl, so perhaps i'll work on that!

yesterday i got a walker and a shower chair from a friend. i now have quite a collection of stuff to make life easier. i also have a knee scooter and the obligatory crutches. my ds and i had a scooter race on sunday in the driveway; it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    thanks for all the suggestions as i can't just keep ordering things from amazon to kill the time!

i don't much mind the not riding, it's usually still hotter than the hinges of hades at this time of year. of course, right now,it isn't. typical!

i've ordered a bunch of jilly cooper books, and a few others. have netflix.

the real hangups are that 1, i can't drive and 2, i have to spend most of the day with my foot elevated above my heart

i haven't tried to cross-stitch this way but i might tomorrow.

i like the idea of learning a new language. i really need to progress beyond toddler level in asl, so perhaps i'll work on that!

yesterday i got a walker and a shower chair from a friend. i now have quite a collection of stuff to make life easier. i also have a knee scooter and the obligatory crutches. my ds and i had a scooter race on sunday in the driveway; it was fun.
    I had friends drive me to IHSA shows too I bought a little collapsable table and used that with a pillow to prop my leg up high when sitting at the show.

Also you can go online to your local library and order books. Then they will get them ready for you and you can have someone pick them up. That way you dont spend all this money. Or go to a second hand book shop.
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

Red face Rivenoak, Please

I'm sorry that I haven't been checking my pages, Rivenoak!

I have been at the Paul Striberry foxhunting clinic learning to jump again. Check Leena's thread for a "quick" pick- me- up!

Now you have time to read the book I wrote, Intermediate Riding Skills, which is very cheap on Amazon. Maybe you are close enough to their warehouse that you can scooter over and not pay shipping charges.

Expect an email from me, too.

How hot is it there? We have been hitting around 100 with humidity. Can't wait for this hurricane to blow through and get some cool-ish air. We start cub hunting Sat. I'm packing my parachute, for the first time out with my greenie, Wren. I'll have lots to tell you after that expedition!

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    Check Leena's thread for a "quick" pick- me- up!

Now you have time to read the book I wrote, Intermediate Riding Skills, ...

We start cub hunting Sat. I'm packing my parachute, for the first time out with my greenie, Wren. I'll have lots to tell you after that expedition!
    thank you for the reminder to get a reality check!

i DO have your book. it's on my nightstand.

can't wait to hear about cubbing.

what i can't stand is this being dependent on others to be driven around and not having immediate freedom to do as i please. i have a lot to learn!