The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stall Floor?

How would you complete stall footing over a currently uneven clay base?

I was thinking we need to level the clay, throw down some lime and sand, and then put in mats. Good plan? Bad plan?

We're having some discussion about whether to attempt leveling the clay, but having seen so many stalls with wicked potholes under mats where everything below shifted... the last thing we want to do is to pull mats and re-level in the near future.

Stalls are 12x12. Clay is currently dry and hard as concrete, but that's nothing a water hose can't fix.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it." - Agent K, MIB

We use crusher run gravel under our mats. It is basically crushed limestone that will pack and make a good base that still allows pee to go through it.

leveling packed clay, oh the fun ;D

but yeah, I'd level it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by ngilland View Post
    We use crusher run gravel under our mats. It is basically crushed limestone that will pack and make a good base that still allows pee to go through it.
    This is the recommended base for the mats and will make it the easiest to level everything.

Not OP, but -- can one just "level" the crusher run over the potholes? like fill in around the potholes with crusher run, then pack? That would be the simplest if it would hold.

If the clay is level and I put down about 1"-2" sand, should I expect the sand to shift under the mats and develop crater city (or low-spot city, as it were...)? Or does it more/less stay put?

FWIW, the stalls are a contingency and will not see daily use. Beasties will continue to stay out 24/7 unless there's a specific need to be in.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it." - Agent K, MIB

Level clay= fill in pot holes - wet pack..next limestone - few inches ~ wet pack & tap - add wet pack level .... allow to dry and set up completely before topping with your shavings or wood pellets -- short cut is if you must put a horse in the stall on the "not quite set up limestone" = to protect your work --- place large pieces of plywood like six to nine to cover the entire floor they will over lap + is fine --then add shavings whatever and horse -- horse will level it EVENLY for you because of the plywood ~~~ just will sound funny while this is going on wait a few days perhaps a week for stall base to set up hard~~~ then remove horse & pull shavings off to a side of stall and remove plywood sections rake back shavings insert horse again your stall will be perfect !
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Aug. 26, 2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

fwiw stall skins are more forgiving of SLIGHTLY unlevel base than mats are. I loff my stall skins
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.