The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My COTH Giveaway horse

In July of 09 I had the honor or recieving a horse off the giveaways section here. It has been a long, but fun year for us!! In April we moved to a new barn, and I swear I have a new horse!! We only have 2 issues right now.. keeping weight on and loading on the trailer to go home( but only to go home, he loads beautifully at home) Both are being worked on, and will be until they are where we need them to be.
    Anyway.... We have recently started showing a bit.... In our first show we placed 2nd and 4th in flat classes.. our next show we only went to school and our show on Saturday, I rode him in 3 w/t classes and 3 w/t/c classes. We got
    2/2nd's, 2/3rds a 4th and 5th. Then my 11 year old took him in Jr. Beg. Eq and got reserve champion! He was such a good boy and takes such good care of her. I could not ask for a better horse!
    I just had to post an update, with out this forum, I would not have my horse... thanks COTH giveaways!!
    And of course pictures:
    Here he is the week I got him:
    http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t=100_3127.jpg

And here he is with my dd on Saturday:
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../821100331.jpg

I swear they are BOTH smiling in the second picture...I'm glad you are enjoying him so much!

Good for you both!!!!
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Congrats to the three of you. Love the smile on your daughter's face.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

Default Woot, woot

Congratulations for a job well done!

Default COTH giveaway horse

What a happy story and pics. In the first pic the horse looked scared and depressed. He couldn't be any prouder in the second as you and your daughter seem to be. What a great change! I'm sure whoever gave him to you is ecstatic!

I missed the back story on your horse. How old is he, why was he available, what's his training, etc. Please bring me up to date. Thanks!

i hope who ever gave him to you appreciated the update. as the giver of a horse, i would love to know how she is....and really love to see some recent pictures.
    he looks so happy in the second photo. what a cute pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty M View Post
    In the first pic the horse looked scared and depressed.
    WTF? I don't see a scared and depressed horse. I seethe same horse in both photos. One photo just happens to have a little girl on him. Why make it seem there was something negative about the situation he came from? That must make the OP feel nice to have found a nice home for a nice horse and have you come on here and comment about how unhappy and depressed he looked in her care. Geesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty M View Post
    What a happy story and pics. In the first pic the horse looked scared and depressed. He couldn't be any prouder in the second as you and your daughter seem to be. What a great change! I'm sure whoever gave him to you is ecstatic!

I missed the back story on your horse. How old is he, why was he available, what's his training, etc. Please bring me up to date. Thanks!
    I'm not sure if he was scared or depressed, but he was not fed properly,had been living out( that situation did not work for him at all) and not worked much.( He LOVES to have a job!) Maybe that is what you are seeing?

He is an 8 yr old OTTB, bowed on the track, breeder rehabed him him, then he was given to someone who did trail riding with him. Sadly she lost her job, so the breeder took him back. Then he was offered on here and I took him in. The breeder put good training into him, because he knows more than I thought he would! But it took about 9 months before my daughter could really ride him well. So that is just huge to me. He does love kids though, he knows when she is up on his back, vs when I am up there.
    Really, I just wanted to share a positive giveaway story, so that if anyone was ever on the fence about maybe taking in a give away horse, there was something positive out there to help, ummm, enable them, LOL!
    Thank you all for the compliments!

He looks a lot like my fella. Nice story, great to have a happy one shared

Heartwarming! What an adorable pair they make.

Thanks for sharing! I love to read updates like this.

Default COTH Giveaway horse

Mamy- thanks for the back story on your horse. He was lucky to have such a thoughtful breeder going the extra mile to find him a good owner- you. It's really nice to know your daughter cared enough to school him for eight months and ended up winning that ribbon on him. Kudos to them both.

Sketcher- In my experience running a training barn with horses coming in and going out, I think moving does upset some horses, depending on how sensitive they are. Maybe I was reading too much in his expression to say he was sad and scared a week after coming to them, but as Mamy said, he hadn't been well fed or well housed so it would be normal for him to be uneasy until he settled in. In my opinion, anyway.

As for the second pic, I see a ton of difference in his condition and demeanor, well-fed, shiny coat, bright eyes, alert, and eager looking. I guess it all depends on your point of view. Thanks for your comments.

I love happy endings!! As someone who takes in and rehabs OTTBs, this was heartwarming. Great job!!!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I think maybe he's just blinking in the first picture, combined with a lower head, and that makes him look "depressed".

But he does look quite lovely and content in the second picture. I'm so pleased you have a happy ending!

Great story!
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

I've rehabbed many horses, and the best way I've found to put on weight is this:

Get beet pulp; soak it and then rinse it to get the dirt and sugar off of it. Then add powdered, stabilized rice bran, mix it up and stand back! I've never seen a horse refuse it. Mine like it so much that I can squirt their dewormer in their buckets and they eat it right up.

Start out with about 2 cups of dry pulp, then add 1 cup of rice bran. Gradually increase this over a few weeks until you are up to about a quart of so of rice bran, and 2 quarts of beet pulp.

This gives them tons of calories that are low-sugar and low starch. It puts a tremendous gloss on their coats, and in the rain the water almost beads up and runs off!

This has worked on every breed of horse I've had. It's also good for older horses that have dental issues, since you can add water to the mixture to make it more like a "mash."

Good luck! He looks great!
    Barbara www.customstockties.com
    Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten

I see difference in the second photo too. He needs his feet trimming

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    He needs his feet trimming
    Is that even English?

Uh-oh- it is past five o'clock in the bog, again!

In any event- good for you, OP! The horse is darling, and so is your daughter.

I hope you are able to get that weight on him- it will complete the picture!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Aw, what a good boy. Glad it worked out so well for all concerned.