The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wanted to share :)

We found some definate tension with my horse through transitions (trot to canter especially).

So this week after a long haitus from various things we switched to my jumping saddle and just hacked around to get things away from my habit of micro managing, and since he is fresh out of pasture it would just let him get back into work.

First few days, we get these AMAZING canter transitions, from walk, halt, and trot. He just canters off without any tension or stress.

After a week of this yesterday we work on some within the gait transitions, so I ask for a shoulder in on the long side and once we straighten I use a little bit of outside leg and my horse offers me a few steps of passage!

Both sides so I know it wasn't a fluke. Of course we didn't push it since he's not fit yet, but a couple of steps and his first time EVER offering it up, I was beside myself

So we learned that my very sensative pony needs me to really just lighten my seat and let him do his job

Not to mention that he obviously knows the next step if I just keep to the pyramid and work on relaxation before the movements.

That is great! The best moments are the ones the horse just offers.

Could it also be saddle fit is the culprit though?

We are investigating that But we have a feeling its more my seat and how Im probably grinding my seat bones thinking Ill get some UBER nice transition

In the jumping saddle Im not in a two point or anything but Im definately lighter and I think Im just thinking forward more than collected *shrugs*

Its so simple but so horrible to think of ALL of the lessons and of course my poor horses back from yucky position.

Coming from the same place horse forcing me to completely rethink the canter transition. Congratulations on the step forward.