The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hard lump on outside hind cannon bone.

After I rode my horse this morning for the first time in many days, I noticed a hard lump (hard like a bone, about the size of a silver dollar) on the outside of his left rear leg on the cannon bone. I'm assuming it's been there a few days at least.

He did great when I rode him, and has not been lame at all (except for an abscess six months ago, not this leg).

The only thing I noticed before this is that when he rests, he usually takes the weight off of this leg. Not always, but usually. This resting this leg thing was before the bump appeared. I checked his leg when I noticed him resting it, so I know the bump wasn't there then.

Today he didn't really do the resting this one leg thing.

I pressed on the bump and he didn't react to it. No heat or swelling either.

Any ideas on what this might be???
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is therefore not an act but a habit."

I have a horse who popped a splint in that location last year. It's quite big and noticeable and very high up. I figured he must have knocked it against something in his stall or against the fence outside.

So what does this mean I need to do? What does it mean long term?

clivers, how is your horse now?

He's fine. He never had pain associated with it, and he's eventing soundly. With splints if they are hot or painful to the touch I usually rest the horse and apply cold therapy such as cold hosing or poulticing...but keep turning them out. Usually it's only a few weeks until it becomes "cold" or inactive, and then they just resume their previous work.

With the area you described, the only concern I would have if if it ends up being massive and rubbing against the suspensory. Again, you will get warnings in the form of heat and swelling, even if your horse remains sound.

Best of luck

more than likely sounds like a splint
    if its hard its to no avail so carry on riding him

Thanks ya'll!

Update. Decided to have vet look at it. He x-rayed it and said the splint bone had a fracture in it, but it's a cold splint, not a hot one and he should be fine.

I knew nothing about the splint bone before this. Educational. I didn't know a horse could have a fracture in a bone in their leg and have that be ok. I guess the splint bone isn't "necessary" or something like that.