The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default still famous

Just a little brag. I was told the other day that my arab was still pictured on the Stuart horse trial website as the cross country example. Look under what is eventing and she is the cross country example.

Mia is now 22 and retired but.............she ended her career sound and winning the Burghley Horse trials prelim event as he last one.

haha she is so young there, only 16 A pure arab known as the little engine that could. Go Mia Go
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

If you're talking about the lovely bay Arab in the 3rd picture down, she certainly is lovely.

Do you remember what year was that taken? Because I worked 15 of the first 16 yrs at SHT and did the X-C warm-up for 14 of them.

http://www.stuarthorsetrials.org/eventing-handbook
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Default Wow!

That's something to brag about!! Any pictures from Burghley? Would love to see those.

Congratulations to you both on such a full life!

Awwww...Mia. Someday I will get down there and meet the famous old gal in person!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

That is really cool! Is that you riding her? I love arabs.

Thanks for allowing me that brag. Mia was born for eventing. She never had a refusal or a time penalty, that girl ran like an eggbeater. There wasnt a jump she wasnt going over for the love of it.

I do have pics from Burghley but they are in real form LOL. I know SportPix has many of Mia Catoure' taken all over the east coast. There are many from the western coast of BC as well but Lord, we are aging ourselves here.

I do believe the Stuart pic was taken in 2006 or maybe 2005. She is being ridden there by Allie Feldman. I could not ride Mia to her potential, I am a stay on the ground person, horses dont fly. So, Allie was without a horse or a lot of upper level experience at the time but huge potential and so, she rode Mia till her retirement. Allie got a horse of her own after that, sadly an accident had him retire the following year. He came here this summer a sound trail horse and we placed him carefully. So, Allie's family came here for a visist the other day to tell me, there will never be another Mia and see her. They told me she was still up on the Stuart site, they always look. Mia was one heck of a cross country horse, phenominally so. Just sit down and hang on for the ride is all I can say. You best never change your mind, cause she sure wasnt going to. NO was not an option. Now dressage, yuk she hated that stuff.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Thanks for posting about Mia. I don't know many upper level PB Arabs, but love to know Mia did so well. I just have a lower level Arab eventer, and don't see many of them in the HT.

One look at Mia and you knew she was pure arab as well. Oh ya, we took a lot of ribbing until they saw her go. As Nick Holmes-Smith said, that is a one in a million horse but, inspite of prejudice, he encouraged us to keep going because she would win with her heart. And so we did. Lets face it, I dont care how pretty she is, she never made a dressage test look as lovely as a long legged TB or Warmblood did. It took until the upper levels before judges recognized that she executed her movements equally as well, just in smaller steps. I never saw another pure arab on the event circuit. I saw a few 3/4 at very low levels but................thats it. But I have also heard it said, if you have an arab that jumps, it will jump anything. And Mia did.

Owning Mia has been a wonderful experience.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

She's beautiful!

Eventing is one discipline that really levels the Breed Playing Field.
    DH's TWH was a cross-country machine.
    We never did much "officially", but schooled fences to Training Level at home and he was awesome.
    If Tom did not get him there totally straight, he might run out, but Buddy did not posess a Stop. Ever.

They are in my profile pic doing our only rated event so you can see his dressage wasn't half bad either.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009