The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

NeedToBreath Guest

Default Overcoming "issues" and riding

I was wondering if there were other riders out there that may struggle with "issues," and I will leave that quite general for now. I'd like to know how you overcome them, what part riding plays in your treatment, etc.

I created this name in order to keep some privacy about this, so please don't feel as if you need to post openly if you aren't comfortable. I will check my PMs for messages if you would rather go that route.

As for myself, I was recently (5 months ago) diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. I've always struggled with something, and now I have a name and a reason. When it came to riding I've always struggled to maintain my drive and commitment. I'll ride everyday for a while then won't ride for weeks. I'll plan out a show schedule and never actually go. I schedule lessons, only to cancel them. I feel like I never improve because I don't remain consistent. Some days I head to the barn and I have so much unfocused energy that I end up cleaning the entire barn, and instead of just doing a normal pre-ride groom I'm clipping and pulling manes. By the time I'm threw it's late time to feed and get home for dinner at the house and I never did ride. Other days the cleaning of stalls, filling of buckets, throwing of hay, and bringing in horses is so daunting I barely get through my time at the barn before I'm exhausted and just want a shower and to sleep.

Come on over to the riders with disabilities forum - there have been a few threads directly related to this, and a number of people who have faced (and overcome) similar difficulties.

The most important thing: you are not alone.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I think that riding could be a fantastic part of your treatment plan. You should talk to your therapist about it. Good luck.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi