The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default do you give your elderly retired horse a supplement?

just curious after talking to my vet about my old guy's routine. he is fine, handling the heat fairly well and still a piglet at feeding time. my vet feels that at his age, supplements are ineffective because success with supplements is incumbent upon the body's ability to regenerate and at 26, he is in decline. he was getting a joint supplement.
    i feel guilty not giving him anything. what supplement(s)do you feed your older horse?

Nope. Archie is almost 35 and gets 20 -25 lbs of Nutrena Senior a day, and nothing else. He's got grass and I give him a flake of hay to play with because he loves it, but he just leaves wet wads everywhere. He basically has no back teeth anymore.

But he's picky, and he needs every bit of that feed to keep weight on, so he gets it plain. He looks pretty good for an old fart

I give my old guy (he's 21) Platinum Performance. It's expensive, so I took him off of it for awhile and I really saw a difference. When he's on it he has better muscle, a better topline, a lovely coat. When he's off of it, he looks like an old man. I think a lot of supplements tend to be a waste of money, but I think PP has really made a difference in every horse I've tried it on.
    www.heartofgoldfarm.com

RIP "Rio" (BW-Clarion) 2000-2009. Bright Spirit, Brave Heart, Loving Soul. I'll love and miss you forever.

I give my older guy One AC and electrolytes. I took him off of other supplements because he was eating around it and missing some of his grain also.

Omega Horseshine...awesome stuff. Dumplin' was a near 30 toothless wonder and within 3 months his hooves were looking amazing, he stopped being itchy and his coat softened and gleamed.

When I started feeding Ultium to Troops I weaned him off the HS thinking he wouldn't need it. I noticed a change in his hooves and the in the way he moves. He is a crunchy boy at times and the HS with MSM make a big difference. He is back on it and I see changes already.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

MSM, flaxseed oil and his Pergolide. We're carrying the Pergolide in the oil after he stopped eating his spiked apples, otherwise I'd be contemplating the Horseshine a little more seriously.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

My vet recommended a senior product and rice bran with a cheap veggie oil in it, twice a day, for my mare, age 29.

We have a product in our area called Integrity and I really like it.

Our 22 year old retired TB is on Recovery EQ + HA and Source Focus Hoof. The Recovery EQ makes the difference of him looking like a lame old man who should be put down or a happy pasture pet who runs up and down our hills, and the Focus Hoof lets him go barefoot behind, with only front shoes.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

saje, your guy looks terrific!
    thanks for the replies. "crunchy" is how i would describe my old man as well. i just want him to be comfortable but also am trying to be fiscally conservative.

I second the Platinum Performance. My 24 year old is just dandy, but I just want to make sure he's getting all he needs. I also give him bimonthly adequan injections, just for a little bit of help. And psyllium, as he lives in a sandy area.