The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A more simple way to do Horse Show Entries

I am a trainer, new to having to enter client's horses at shows. I am looking for recommendations for simplifying the process. As my show string grows, I find the task extremely time consuming. I am not very strong on the computer. I am not very familiar with excel or pdf formats, but I am willing to learn!
    Most shows have a way to print entry forms online. How do I transfer these forms into a program that allows me to type, or cut and paste, information into the form? Is that even possible?
    I do not have the best handwriting, and would love to be able to type my entries and print them out.
    I also want to make things as easy for the show manager as possible. What do your "show books" look like? How do you do your entries for your large show string?
    I really appreciate any help!
    I don't know if it matters, but the shows we are attending are USEF class A Saddlebred Competitions.
    Thanks!
    Cydney Rae Cutchall
    Cyd-Rae Center
    Salisbury, NC
    www.cydraecenter.com (under construction still!)

Easiest thing to do is make stickers for each horse and client with all the relevant information. Just match the label size and type from the package to the correct listing in your computer word program, enter the information, and print a few sheets of stickers for each one. It doesn't take a lot of computer skill, just a few minutes of finding the correct place to go in the program you use. Keep those in your book and then all you have to do is apply them to the entry blanks, list your classes, and sign the blanks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Cboylen,
    Wow, thanks!
    Do show managers not mind if horse's info isn't exactly on the line specified?
    I had not thought of putting the info. on labels.
    Thanks!

Anyone else have anything to add?

Cydney Rae Cutchall
    Cyd-Rae Center
    Salisbury, NC
    www.cydraecenter.com (under construction still!)

Put a book together using those plastic sleeves and a 3 ring binder. Each horse has a page with their USEF/USHJA information, owner info and rider info (if you go to www.eqverification. org I think, you can print this all on 1 page) on the front, and their Coggins on the back side of the sleeve. Make a page listing every horse and their number and their rider/owner and thier number so it's all on 1 page and keep it in the front of your book.

The sticker plan is the way to go and keep the stickers in your book. My stickers have the person's name, address, phone number, DOB and USEF number. I think using the stickers is a lot easier and faster than trying to type all the info on the online forms. Plus, you have a hard copy to keep with you in case there's a problem when you get to the secratary's stand.

If you get yourself a nice zipped attache with 3 rings you will have all of your show information at your fingertips and the show secretaries will love you.

Thanks for the info. I will do all these things.
    Does anyone know how to type into the forms you can print off online? I've known a woman who did her entries that way, but I can not ask her how (ex-boss, doesn't want to help me )

Cydney Rae Cutchall
    Cyd-Rae Center
    Salisbury, NC

I do what CBoylen suggested above. The show entry forms for the shows we attend all want the same info, so I have a sticker for each animal that has all the info needed on it. I just have to fill in the class numbers and sign the entry form.

I have a Ptouch label printer. I heart it.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I do labels for the barn I ride with. All the horses have their own, all the owners/riders have theirs, Mr. Trainer has his. I use the Avery 8160 lables, they provide about 4 lines. I include, name, address, phone, email USEF/USHJA numbers.

On the horses, name, color, sex, height, Age, USEF/USHJA number, on the ponies Large, Medium or Small, on the Green horses 1st or 2nd year, and Large or Small for horses that show in those divisions.

All anyone has to do is sign entries, put in SS# or Fed ID# and kids DOB, along with the classes and amounts.

We also all have the USHJA and USEF verification page printed out, with horse, rider and owner cards for each horse/rider combination.

Show secretaries have told Mrs. Trainer they love our entries. The labels make them easy to read as well as easy to fill out the forms.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CydRae View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will do all these things.
    Does anyone know how to type into the forms you can print off online? I've known a woman who did her entries that way, but I can not ask her how (ex-boss, doesn't want to help me )

Cydney Rae Cutchall
    Cyd-Rae Center
    Salisbury, NC
    Are you talking about PDF format that you can fill in and print? Not all PDF forms are created equal. If it was created allowing information to be typed in then you can type in the info, if it was not I don't know that you can.

If the show has forms you can fill in online, then download the blank forms off the net by doing a "save as" then you fill in that form each time you make an entry, and print/email it to show management. You probably need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) too.http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I agree with CBoylen & the others & using labels. It's a great time saver. You could also fill out your info on one entry form & xerox that for multiple entries.
    "Socrates was a very wise man who went around giving good advice. They poisoned him." Anonymous...