The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

RF, and all others who are now officially nauseous (if not already actually vomiting) -- I promise that I am finished, done, finito posting pictures. Unless, of course, there is a really good picture of George from the KHP shows this month. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

Please, others -- go to it. Nicole! I just looked back and saw your post. Welcome to COTH. PT or email me. I want to catch up. How's your mom?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Oh yeah, I'll bet you're fat and can't ride!" --- Erin, Chief Cathearder. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    "Dyslexics Untie!"

God, Pam, I LOFF (and I never use that word) these pix! That one of Valor from the Garden is my fave, although I remember you posting one before where you weren't in formal attire?

My horse partner and I (that would be HorseyNurse) finally have a really spectacular hunter, but you know what? I prefer the doddering Stanley, who just came off the track, looks like hell, and who can hardly be bothered to walk to the cross ties!

Both horses make their debuts next month in the baby basic pleasure classes, but we should have some good shots of Strapless--um, Stella by year's end!

A building contrator is defined as someone who wants to build a house in the woods. An environmentalist is one who already owns a house in the woods.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Pam, I'm still willing to take Warren off your hands. As long as his "mystery lamenesses" match up with my "mystery ailments" we'll live happily ever after.
    All of your pics are awesome even if they make me feel inadequate.

Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
    Last one of Valor -- the Madison Square Garden picture

"Oh yeah, I'll bet you're fat and can't ride!" --- Erin, Chief Cathearder. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is totally the coolest picture i have ever seen.

can you post more? (haha i am a picture junky) Please make a webshots!!

"You've been hoodwinked. You've been had.
    You've been took. You've been led astray, led amok.
    You've been Bamboozled."

-- Malcolm X

Wow Pam. I think after I had a picture like the one of Valor at Madison Square Garden I'd just up and retire...cuz it doens't get better than that.... WOWSIEEEE!!!!!

You should be sooooo proud of your riding and your wonderful horses. Such great accomplishemnts.. such great horses.

What a wonderful thread.. thanks for sharing.

I'm so inspired I'm going to go out and ride...

: )

http://community.webshots.com/user/stewartjudi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by horsaholic:
    LH/Pam, you look wonderful! What a gorgeous rider you are! Those photos are beautiful and you should be so proud! That picture is amazing of you as a child http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif 6yrs old! Wow!
    Thanks for sharing these, I hope you post some more!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, LordHelpus I can't seem to get enought of this stuff! It's great! Thanks!

kriskohnke
    What's the scoop?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieB:
    suzss, no you weren't the only one with a madras coat. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

And before the rest of you youngsters start laughing, remember, this picture was taken in 1968. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely fabulous!
    Thanks for sharing.

kriskohnke
    What's the scoop?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merry:
    I feel deprived. I never had any tack-- noseband or otherwise-- with my initials stitched into the leather. However, it does sound like a trend that needs to be resurrected!

Count me in the group that once wore a powder blue huntcoat and the madras plaid.

Wow seems like a lot of you all are nostalgic for that baby blue hunt coat. Darn, I found one on E-bay in my size a couple of weeks ago, the seller was located in Great Britain. It had the hunting horse buttons and gorgeous velvet collar. I was considering buying it to keep as sort of a closet museum piece! I wish I had bid on it now...

The photos are all lovely! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kriskohnke
    What's the scoop?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
    One last picture, if I may. This is the gray horse from page one, that many of you commented on. His barn name was Moolah and he was a really nice horse. He was Appendix registered and his small feet and short pasterns were not made to support his 16.3 hand body, so he got navicular at age 7. However, he had a lovely life at my mother's farm for many years, baby sitting the yearling TB's racehorses-to-be.

About 10 years after the Florida picture was taken I was living in California practicing law when I came back to visit my mother at her farm. I went out to ride Moolah, and I saw that he had gotten worse that I had realized. So, that visit I mainly groomed him and gave him treats. But my last day there, in the late afternoon, I decided that I did not want to leave without having a ride on my old friend. So I got a piece of baling twine, tied it around his neck and climbed on. We wandered around the farm and had a lovely quiet time together in the late afternoon winter sun. Before I got off, I asked the farm manager to take this picture.

This was the last time I saw Moolah-man and I am very glad I had a chance to say good bye.

PS: All of you safety do-gooders, please do not bother to post about my outfit. It gets old, and sometimes a girl and her old friend just need to take a toodle around the farm together.

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

"Oh yeah, I'll bet you're fat and can't ride!" --- Erin, Chief Cathearder. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kriskohnke
    What's the scoop?

Ok, I feel stupid about this, but what is a GPA?

LH - thank you for posting the fabulous pictures. An absolute study in hunter fashion through the last few decades.

I so love the picture from Madison Square Gardens of you and Valour. Breathtaking.

I have a couple to add from the days when 3'6" was the only choice. The year 1980 and yes they are grey breeches:
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/hcurtin/Han...80_dwyer_2.jpg

Oh yes, remember rolltop coops when they were full size, from 1976:
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/hcurtin/Jessica.jpg

To demonstrate my lack of knowledge about "dress codes," I'm struck by the Garden picture showing a hunter wearing a shadbelly and top hat, reminiscent of dressage. When was this the norm? I know Grand Prix jumpers wear this sometimes. Would love an explanation, thanks!
    Goodbye Sister Disco. Take me where the music fits my soul.

mbdobbs, for hunter classics (now a days) jrs and adults where shadbelly's. Adults can also wear top hats if they so desire, but jrs cannot as it's "not approved" head gear.

*Worthwhile*
    *Believe In Me*
    *Bolero*
    *Look No Further*
    *Worthwhile*
    http://community.webshots.com/album/159338172AjdUVn
    *Believe In Me*
    *Bolero*
    *Look No Further*

Drooling, as usual, during the viewing, Pam. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

"B***h in training"
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Thanks HorseyGurl. I do remember going to watch the amateur hunters at the Washington International in the fall. I do remember one woman wearing this, but not all, so I assume it's optional? What IS the accepted / unaccepted / norm for the ring. I'll have to get with it if I ever get my nerve up to show again. Thanks!!

Melissa

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HorseyGurl182:
    mbdobbs, for hunter classics (now a days) jrs and adults where shadbelly's. Adults can also wear top hats if they so desire, but jrs cannot as it's "not approved" head gear.

*Worthwhile*
    *Believe In Me*
    *Bolero*
    *Look No Further*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reaglebeagle,

You look familiar. Whre is that horse show in the indoor picture? I sure miss mudknots. They really showed off a horse's hind end. And, for a horse with a less than stellar tail, I think that they looked better than a fake tail.

Yesterday at KHP, I saw many absolutely gorgeous, jaw dropping, 12 moving, knee snapping, back cracking, to die for horses with tails that were obviously bought at the custom tail store. They were just too think and swung funny and the bottoms were unnatural. In a fake tail, less is more. But too many people think that more is more.

But, I digress. I miss the old mud knots. Pure and simple. And I also like your horse and your eq. A lovely picture.

mbdobbs: I cannot recall ever seeing a shadbelly in grand prix jumping! And certainly not a top hat in the grand prix ring. I believe you are mistaken -- even if you are thinking back through the decades. The image of a jumper rider going around in a shadbelly and top hat just plain makes me smile.

Shadbellies are indigenous to the hunt field, which is why they appear in the hunter ring. In the old days it was appropriate to show in a hunt coat and derby for regular classes and a shadbelly and top hat in appointments or corinthian classes (or later, in what they called "formal attire" classes). In the Madison Square Garden picture, I am riding in a formal attire class. I can tell because, not only am I wearing a shadbelly and top hat, but I have all the "extras" like the boot straps (that had to be worn through the second and third buttons on the breeches legs -- a real trick in the days of velcro. I sat in my NYC hotel room and cut all those little buttons off my show shirts that were half way down the openings in the sleeves and sewed them onto each leg of my canary breeches below the knee seam so I would have buttons to put the boot strap between.)

The difference between a formal attire class and a corinthian class is that in the former the rider had to dress in the old, traditional way, but the horse was not required to wear flat tack and sewn in bridle, no saddle pad or stirrup pad, etc.
    "Oh yeah, I'll bet you're fat and can't ride!" --- Erin, Chief Cathearder. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    "Dyslexics Untie!"

Thanks LH for that great story! I can picture you having to stay up late to jimmy together buttons on breeches in the days of velcro! At least they stayed on, right? And thanks also for putting up with what probably seem like silly questions. I've been out of the horse world for 20 years and am just finding my way back. My final question is, is the shadbelly and top hat optional for most hunter classes? I still think of the hunter ring as one where you can't go wrong wearing a dark colored navy wool jacket, light ratcatcher, beige or white breeches and field boots, as long as everything's spic and span.

So glad a friend told me about these forums.

Melissa

LH - Love the picture of you and Valor at the Garden!
    What is George's show name and what division is he in? I'll look for him at KHP next week when I'm there.

BB

Let me chime in on formal attire vs appointments vs corinthian. Formal attire meant only the rider had to be thus dressed. Appointments classes meant that the rider and horse both had to adhere to a lengthy list of specific details in tack and attire: sewn in, flat bridle, sandwich case, flat, folded, non-elastic girth, no saddle pad, no pads in stirrups, carry a whip, string gloves under flap of saddle, and on and on. Corinthian classes were the same with the added caveat that the rider must be a member of a recognized hunt. Those classes were a pain for the riders, but I LOVED getting ready for them. It really allowed the anal types like me to let their attention to detail shine!

Pam, was that picture of Val at the Garden the year I had him, or after you went to Champ and Linda?

Laurie
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

What a gorgeous collection of horses, Lordhelpus. I think I need to have you find my horses for me from now on.
    When I saw the bit on the little pinto pony, I just KNEW what he rode like, I know many people that were trained by a naughty pinto pony with an iron mouth that could jump the moon if you could learn to ride well enough to get him there.