The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Ruled Road Rage. Your Random Rants Go HERE

In honor of some spectacularly off-track trainwrecks going on right now, I'm opening THE THREAD FOR THAT.

To make this interesting and fun, however, there are rules.

1) You may rant about random and non-sequitur topics. Wherever you start, however, you must have made a logical progression to whatever the ending rant is.

2) You must begin with the topic of the last rant. Can't go back six posts to find your favorite. You must wait until the topic you wanted to post about comes back around. Or you can check this designated trainwreck thread 75 times a day (as trainwreckers do) in order to make sure you have a chance to spew your particular venom when you want to. Sissies and noobs will say "Yeah, I agree with the last poster" add no new twists and then change topics. That's easy and no fun; it adds nothing to the bitterness. Try to do better.

3) You may complain that the last rant was unjustified. But you have to explain why, implying that the last ranter was an idiot. You may NOT rant about a ranter or her/his momma in a below the belt way. I don't care how stupid, wrong, illogical, mean, stupid or stupid the ranter is.

Crystal clear? I'll start you out:

The people ragging on the $4,700 Pat Pirelli saddle because it's yet another instance of Pat cashing in on an existing trend in equine marketing bums me out. That's because many COTHers (maybe even the haters of this obviously fugly, cheesy saddle) don't object to equally expensive, "custom," repped by eager-beaver sales people, "on brand" saddles. I wouldn't be surprised if both kinds of saddles had similar life expectancies and abilities to fit many horses (or not).

Which brings me to the modern marketing trend toward making breeches-- unflattering to most 3-D people anyway-- in all manner of color and thin material. In particular, I'm bummed that the TOTD Ariat breeches in my size are available only in that scary blue.

Your turn.
    Last edited by mvp; Aug. 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Ranter can't count
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Why are so many unable to go shopping without asking the whole world first what they ought to buy, where they ought to go and how much they ought to pay.

From pants to boots to horse rugs.

Are horse owners incapable of making a decision and doing a simple task.

How comes they became so stupid and inadequate?

My turn, really?

I don't like the new training techniques where people keep doing the same thing, not getting the results they want and won't change what they are doing, kept at it, hoping the horse eventually "will smarten up" AND they think that is how we should train horses, or elephants, or kids, anything.

That is the way some sargents treat new soldiers in boot camp, but do we want to make soldiers out of our horses?
    Maybe we do?

I guess that our old way of asking a horse one way and adjusting to the response is not valid any more.

Oh, Thomas, you ignorant twit! Don't you know how very important it is to make certain that you buy exactly what is the hottest thing and is being worn by the elite in the horse world? I mean, what fools we'd all be to just buy our individual likes and walk around in the WRONG THING - or even worse, have our HORSES wearing the WRONG THING!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Sonesta, you have a point. Fads fads fads. Frankly, I don't have the money to keep up. Thank goodness beige breeches have never gone out of style, but what kind of horrors will occur when the Next Hot Dressage Superstar shows up in BROWN tack? All those lovely black saddles will be tossed into the closet and the mad dash for the perfect shade of brown will begin.

And fads aren't exclusive to apparel (both human and equine). What about the supplement craze??????????? Cripes, one has to wonder how the equine species ever survived before we domesticated them and started pumping every manner of powder and weed into them. Keep it simple, people! Please! When something goes wrong, it is so much easier to narrow the list of suspects down if your horse isn't getting 28 different supplements for everything from coat to colon...

(please note: I followed the rules. Pick up the last rant and segue into a new one.)
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Hey, I tried to follow the last rant, but Bluey posted while I was typing. And that leads to another rant....

Why in the devil is it that EVERY time I try to reply to a post someone else is rude enough to beat me to it?
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Hey, I tried to follow the last rant, but Bluey posted while I was typing. And that leads to another rant....

Why in the devil is it that EVERY time I try to reply to a post someone else is rude enough to beat me to it?
    I WAS responding to the OP, but someone typed faster than I did and stole that second spot.

I think that the rule that we need to respond to the previous post will be very, very hard to follow.

In most cases supplements are for sissies, followers and those unable to think for themselves. Get your hay supply tested...feed enough of it and add whatever else is actually needed from that point of referrence. Thee, your feeding problems solved.

Why the heck is it whenever anyone brings up a thread or post about a horse who's definitely drastically overmounted in terms of the weight of the rider the next 2 billion posts will be variations of:
    Thin people can suck at riding too
    or
    I know a hugely fat experienced person who rides softer than a really skinny bitch I know with hard hands who bounces in the saddle.

Where's the fruitbat? What do those comments have to do about one particular horse having to cart around 30-35% of it's own body weight looking like a water bed during an earthquake? That is not healthy for any horse.

ETA...was replying to last rant by Hitch...
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I WAS responding to the OP, but someone typed faster than I did and stole that second spot.

I think that the rule that we need to respond to the previous post will be very, very hard to follow.
    Yeah, rules suck. Quick ranters suck. In fact, the speed of their rants is usually the source of the problem.

Which leads me to the fight between the pair that took the "trainer used horse without permission and hurt it" thread into the pit of the Paul Valliere fiasco, and who sucks how much/deserves what because they associated with him. The two posters eventually forgot which points they were trying to make, so intent were they on just delivering an a$$-kicking. So here's my point: There is already a ready-made Paul Valliere hatred thread that is years old. Why not just use that one for the Summer 2010 round?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

N of 1, N of 1, I am with MB.

I am sick to death of the stupid stories. If your posts starts, "Well, MY..." or "I once knew a guy who knew a ..." or "In my experience ... " stuff a sock in it.

Seriously, who cares.

Not I.

Pfft.

How about those Mets? They freaking stink.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Yeah, rules suck. Quick ranters suck. In fact, the speed of their rants is usually the source of the problem.

Which leads me to the fight between the pair that took the "trainer used horse without permission and hurt it" thread into the pit of the Paul Valliere fiasco, and who sucks how much/deserves what because they associated with him. The two posters eventually forgot which points they were trying to make, so intent were they on just delivering an a$$-kicking. So here's my point: There is already a ready-made Paul Valliere hatred thread that is years old. Why not just use that one for the Summer 2010 round?

My rant has a basis on recent real life events, that I thought I had put behind me.
    I was upset at that time by the absurdity of the situation.
    Someone the other day unloaded a horse after a ten hour haul, the horse nicely backed out of the trailer, kept going for a dozen feet and stood there, tired and weary from the trip, looking around.
    The handler evidently didn't like for the horse to stop for a second to get it's breath and started swinging that rope back and forth violently to get the horse to keep backing and backing.
    By the time the handler started that, the horse had just planted it's feet on firm ground, so it took it a little to realize what all that was about, was throwing it's head around trying to avoid the swinging rope and could not figure what was going on or he had to do.
    Finally he took a few steps back and the rope quit attacking him in the face.

It all happen so fast, we bystanders were left there wondering what bit that handler and feeling sorry for the horse being treated like that so unnecessarily.
    Why had that handler not just asked the horse politely, after letting it get it's land feet under him a few seconds, with a slight tug of the lead, to back some more, if it was imperative that he do so right then, right now?

When the rope swinging was not working, why not DO something else after the first swing or two, seeing that he was not getting it, was throwing it's head around, not moving it's feet, why keep at it, confusing the tired horse?

That is what prompted my rant and this seemed a good place for it.

I hate when a perfectly good horse is turned headshy because of some Pepperoni dipsh!t swinging a rope in its face. We have a new crop of them at our barn now - poor horses!

Well, I hate it how every single Pepperoni thread turns into someone coming in and saying "You only trash talk the mustaschioed one because YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND" or "You just saw a bad example!" Really? None of us have any sort of experience and might know what we're looking at? We just don't grasp the deep suble nature of batting a horse in the face with a rhubarb stick until he gets on the trailer out of sheer desire to get away from the weirdo hitting him? We r all stoopid and just don't understand his horsenality!

I hate when a parelliite shows up at a hunt meet, backs their rope haltered horse off the trailer, and then proceeds to play the freaking games with their horse while everyone else is drinking and being proper. Uhh, It's not training time. It's hunt time, and the I hope the hounds crap in your trailer.

I hate that people don't understand the fact we aren't fond of Pepperoni & Crew here, and keep trying to convert us!!!!

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Default Zombies from the Parellisphere

Equally I hate it when the Parellitics do show up here posters try and shake them of their devotion to being fleeced by the mustaschioed one. Their commitment is emotional not rational so is not going to be changed by logic.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

And I, equally, hate when all posters on COTH assume that all people who have ever studied, or done parelli are the same. Just because someone is wiggling a rope doesn't mean that they actually paid any attention to the program or have a clue as to what they are doing. All I'm sayin' is that I use Parelli when it's needed. A girl on the dressage team I am on was working with this little shit of a pony, and was getting NO WHERE. He was still running over her, not paying attention and trying to take chunks out of her when she wasn't looking. I intervened and showed her some different techniques of Parelli-esque origin, and guess what? Little shit stopped running over her, biting..ect, and they were able to get back to what the original point was, which was stretchy walk from the ground.

i hate the parelli the bellies purely becuase people and horses get hurt with there dipstick notions and ways - art for a pita horse is it no its not it just the pareillie the beillies doing what they do best ruin horses

and i hate the way they shove it down your thoart not happy doing there own they try to do yours to, bu"££er off i say, have been doing horses near on all my life and mind arent crazy nasty or ill manered proof is in the pudding so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by CR Gorge Girl View Post
    And I, equally, hate when all posters on COTH assume that all people who have ever studied, or done parelli are the same. Just because someone is wiggling a rope doesn't mean that they actually paid any attention to the program or have a clue as to what they are doing. All I'm sayin' is that I use Parelli when it's needed. A girl on the dressage team I am on was working with this little shit of a pony, and was getting NO WHERE. He was still running over her, not paying attention and trying to take chunks out of her when she wasn't looking. I intervened and showed her some different techniques of Parelli-esque origin, and guess what? Little shit stopped running over her, biting..ect, and they were able to get back to what the original point was, which was stretchy walk from the ground.
    That is your version of that story.
    What if the girl that was working with that pony came here and asked, as some posters do, "what would you do, I was handling this pony that was having a bad moment and here comes this gal, that took him from my hands, proceeded to rough him up Parelli style and then handed him back to me, self satistfied, telling me that he would mind his manners now"?

Many, many years ago, when I was helping the local 4H group horsemanship program, we went to several of their little shows and there seem to be that dreaded disease going around, called "my horse won't back up!"

I had to teach several of them, horses and kids, before the adults caught on and they could teach their own kids.

I taught them that the problem started long before the horse was parked and not backing up, that to teach a horse to back up it was best if it was first moving already and that once the horse understood we wanted it to move, then backing was teaching them to move in one more direction, backwards.
    So, we got the horses walking, then turning, lightly, off little leash tugs and then, when they were good at following and keeping moving, backing was one more direction.
    Once mounted, the same applied.
    In no time, the horses, now thiking moving and moving in all directions as asked, didn't plant their feet any more and would back promptly, even if you first stood them there.
    The horses and handlers/riders had learned to communicate in a way it made sense to both and it took about ten minutes for them to catch on.
    Not only that, the human could then go ask any horse the same way and get the right response right off, unlike the swinging rope trick, that you have to teach every horse that means backing up, see the Barney story.

If I had started swinging ropes and hitting horses on their heads and all that rough stuff, horses running around from it and getting stirred up, that would not have gone over too well, I don't think.
    Not only that, how would you have translated that to riding and then backing a horse, ask them by swinging the reins at their heads?

Some training techniques make sense, others just don't, not if you have better ones on hand.

From the last few posts:

I hate it when people post gratuitous "Hey-- guess what some local Parelli acolytes did now!" so that everyone can rush in and agree ad nauseum about just how lame they are. Yeah, I get it. Most COTHers are on the same side with respect to PP. But what locals do isn't the offensive part, IMO. The selling "horse training by numbers and neologisms" marketing machine is.

Which leads me to helmet marketing. They all must meet the same safety standards. Some are 10x the cost of others. Some have completely abandoned the velvet hunt cap thing, causing all kinds of expensive fashion trends.

Which leads me to the "cheap spaceship" styling of so many pricey helmets.

Which leads me to the "cheap spaceship" styling of so many late-model truck interiors. Big flat, boxy surfaces with chrome to fall off.

See how a good rant works? You can drag just about anything into your storm.

I suppose cheap spaceship trucks leads me back to cheap spaceship helmets. So you can start wherever.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat