The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who else is a heat wimp?

I am! It was 101 today, supposed to be 103 tomorrow. Heat index around 110. The "cool" day of the recent past was Sunday, which it was only 93. I just cannot ride in this heat. I can't do much for that matter. Even if I go out in the evening it's so humid I can't last more than about 15 minutes in the saddle. If we ride outside, we bake in the sun (not to mention that the jumps are a pain to set up & take down), the indoor has a lot less air moving in it. We can't win for losing!

Those of you who are still riding faithfully in this sauna, how do you do it?
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Raise hand - heat wimp here too.

I have a cool medics vest that helps quite a bit. Also dunk my helmet in water before I put it on and sometimes mist myself with the hose. Lots of water as well.

I take lots of walk breaks and when I turn beet red stop riding as I have passed out in the heat years ago and don't want to take chances.

My trainer understands and she works my horse a bit more on the days when I don't ride much so he stays fit.

I'm MELTING !!! Staying in the covered ring, lots of water in the fridge, horse on electrolytes and quite frankly not letting her get too sweaty at this point.. no point getting her sick

i live in las vegas, so we ride EARLY.. lessons start at 5am and are done by 9am. no covered rings. we simply survive the summer months here, i don't feel like i'm "living" so much as just surviving lol granted we dont have the extreme humidity. but we've had a "cold front" and are sitting in the high 90s vs. 110+. i'll be more than ready when fall arrives!!

Yucky yucky yucky....

We've been hacking out a lot lately Especially through the forest where it's nice and shady!! (buggy though)

Can't get away with that this week since I'm showing... sigh.

ME! It is next to impossible to get a decent ride out of me in weather like this. I feel like one of the minions from Despicable Me trying to ride a horse, comparable to a sack of potatoes. Ugh.

As far as I am concerned upper 70's is as hot as it ever needs to get. And I absolutely HATE humidity. Unfortunately I live where we sometimes get triple digits during the day..... BUT it cools off in the evening and it is not humid. When it is really hot here, we can go to the beach where it may be 20-30 degrees cooler. So I guess I can't complain too much.

Ugh! ready for the fall- I hate the heat! :P I live in southern TN so we have heat and humidity (double the fun ) plus I get itchy if I get too hot which is definitely not fun! I usually try to ride early morning (around 7:30 or 8) and then get off and hose us both down. I hose her and then leave the fan on her while I sit for a second in the tack room w/ the a/c on. Then I go back out, hose her again and put her in her stall w/ her fan. On the way home, I usually stop for a cold drink (so much better than my hot gatorade ). When I get home, I either jump in the pool or take a cold shower.

I am. Big time. Hose-off breaks galore and only ride around 7PM, if at all.

The problem with riding early AM or late night is that when it comes time to horse show, most classes run during the HOT part of the day. I go out to the barn at 930 and stay until about 3, riding several horses. You get acclimated to it after a while. I mean it's miserable, but it's tolerable.

I just finished up 3 weeks of A shows in 100 degree temps with heat index 110+, gotta love the south. I survived by wearing my new AYR8 helmet, untack and bathing the horse between every class, and drinking water and gatorade constantly.

ME TOO!! I am a heat wimp, completely. Anything above about 85 and I am toast, and we have had some 100+ weather here. I try to ride at 8am, trainer schedule permitting. In the morning half of our ring is still in shade, so that helps.

Lots of water breaks, and shorter lessons. I've never showed above 88-90 degrees, and I don't think I will...that was almost too much with the hunt coat, even with my husband bringing water all the time.
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Hack in the fields along the edge of the woods where it's shady, or in the woods when the bugs aren't horrendous. Then hose (which cools me too, because my horse's trade-off for standing quietly for the hose is that he gets to occasionally grab it and turn it on me).

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    Those of you who are still riding faithfully in this sauna, how do you do it?
    iwouldnt call it being a wimp, i'd call it being smart no riding when it's 104* and humid. that'll kill ya both!
    I get up early and ride in the early morning while it's in the 70-80 range. by 10 am it's too hot generally
    we are in a cold front (haha) so i'm headed to the barn now instead of 1.5 hrs earlier
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Nah, I'm a cold weather wimp. Good luck getting me to ride below 40*F. If the actual temps are supposed to be above 100 then I'll try to ride in the morning, but I'll ride regardless. Usually won't work as hard, but will definitely walk a lot more. If my planned ride is pushing me to the point where I don't feel like I can keep going then I cut things short because odds are horse is feeling the same way. And like someone else said, riding in the heat can be good for acclimating to summer showing.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

I'd much rather be cold than hot.HATE,HATE,HATE,the heat....makes me sick.

My barn in MN is owned & run by a vet and he wouldn't let the trainer (his daughter) give lessons if it was over 90.
    Personally, if the horses are just standing & sweating, it's too hot to ride. In some instances that happens at 85, and in Chicago we've had something like 40 days with highs above 80 so I haven't done a lot of riding lately. I did ride early one morning when it was 75 & 250% humidity, and I sweated through my entire ensemble; breeches, shirt, & everything. It was GROSS.

Not to blame the horses, though, I'm an admitted heat wimp.

But cold wimp, no way. Unless it's REALLY cold (below 10), I rode. When it got really cold, like snot freezing to the inside of your nose, it's hard on the horses' (and my!) lungs. But when you hit a certain point (for me it's about 15), it all feels the same if there's no wind.

Heat wimp here! - although i'm still working mornings and evenings; and still spending the afternoon under the trees lightly riding.

It's been really ugly here in Ocala for well over a week! Very miserable! Heat index over 105 everyday.

Supposed to go to QH Novice Show last weekend - my horse is happy we stayed home! She stayed glued (a few inches) from her fan! - - (she almost lost a shoe too - - probably her way of saying NO WAY!)

Mom's corgi took stuck his head out the hotel door Sat. and immediately turned around - - it's not even fit for dogs; lol!

Thank goodness for a rain storm in the afternoon/evening - - but then, it's just too humid! ick!

Just hope it gets better soon!

Today's high was 106. It's almost 7 pm and is still 103. It's supposed to cool off to a chilly 83 tonight. I'm so ready for this darned heat to go away!!! We usually lesson on Tuesday nights, and there was NO way we were going out tonight. Maybe Thursday if it really cools off to a high of 89.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I think the high was about 3 degrees cooler over in KC! Tues is my lesson night too and I didn't go. HATE the heat! Much worse than the cold.

Neither my horse nor I do well in the heat. I took the day off work and went on a trail ride this morning at 11 am, when it was about 90 (it is in the 100s all week here). Usually, on the trails, it takes only a little squeeze for her to trot or canter on ... not so in to it today.

I do lots of trail riding or bareback riding when it gets this hot. It's a nice break for both of us. There's lots of stuff to learn on the trail, too - we do leg yielding, turns on the forehand - and I think we gain a lot of confidence in each other that carries over to our jumping lessons.