The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    You are the one who brought up the response of showing up with a gun and threatening people (I believe anyway it was you). Glad to hear you won't actually do that (and I am not too worried about police not responding to a complaint that involved threatening someone with a gun on their own property).
    I said:

mess with my property and I will call the police on you for whatever I can get them to charge you with....plus some

and that other farmers I know would just show up with a gun in your face...

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyTwo View Post
    All I can say is I'm glad I don't live in TN. Where I'm from we're all much more neighbourly.
    Wow, I just can't see that at all from your posts!

I would much rather be next to Tamara, have our contracts with stuff spelled out CLEARLY. I think of contracts like fences, a good one (fence or contract) makes for good neighbors because things are not vague, keeps the boundries clearly defined so both of us are happy.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that my husband DID tell him we didn't want (but I bet he said he would sell it to him
    " I bet" ..."I bet.."
    So you don't know what he said, obviously. It's not that complicated.

Ok. Last time. I'll go nice and slow.

Initially, before I started to really wonder just WTF... I asked my husband, "did you tell him we did not want the hay?" Husband said, "No." Later, and I think I mentioned this, husband said, "Helper came and asked me if we wanted to sell second cut, I told him that we needed x amount of bales." NOW, if I was wrong in assuming my husband told them, "we need x amount of bales and we'll sell the rest", forgive me. Farmer said, "your husband told me you did not want the hay." WAIT... why am I explaining myself, AGAIN, to you?

What it ends up being is a big misunderstanding and plays on words from both sides. What matters is, it's worked out and all is well. No one took any equipment hostage, there were no guns, swearing, bad mouthing, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Perhaps I elaborated more than I should have... jeez. So shoot me. I don't understand why you're harping on me. I no longer care. You think what you want Egontoast. Good day.
    Shadow Dancer 2/17/91-12/23/10 - "My Horse, My Heart <3"

Again, you cannot deny someone access to their property (esp if it was left on your property during work done according to a contract (verbal or otherwise)) by removing a key or anything else that makes the owner unable to remove property.

Yes, it's YOUR property. But the property left there was left with permission during the time that work was done.

Think of it this way, if it might help. You and farmer have civil agreement to bale hay off your field, you pay $X/bale. YOU don't pay for hay baled, and the farmer fences off your field and padlocks it until you pay up. You are now being denied access to YOUR property.

Oh, and also a civil matter until a law is broken. Such as theft.

Laws in every state are very similar, though certain nuances will be different. And municipal/county laws might be more stringent than state laws (but never more lenient). I'm in Washington state, so your mileage may vary...but not by much.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Just so every one is clear....

It was not ME that was planning on denying anyone access to anything, or keeping equipment, etc. Sure, it's a pain and it's kinda in my way... so I may MOVE it, but it will still be accessible to him to retrieve. If he doesn't leave a check when he takes his equipment, I'll pursue other avenues. But, it would not be by not allowing him to take his equipment back. What I DID suggest is that next year, I may decide, if I felt like it (which I know me, and I won't do), to deny him access to the field adjacent to mine because my property is the only way he can get on it. But I don't really roll that way, so most likely just won't do business with him anymore, and will let him go about his business, so long as he's not damaging me or my field.

So, just so we're clear... I don't play that game.

Oh, and before anyone jumps all over me... I said I thought of taking it and hiding it in my first post (again, heat of the moment, OMG where's my hay, PO'd kinda thing), but that I realized that I could never do it! (Or, something along those lines, that's not an exact quote). I know it's illegal, and well, it just "ain't" me

Quote Originally Posted by Liscar View Post
    (which I know me, and I won't do), to deny him access to the field adjacent to mine because my property is the only way he can get on it.
    Well, if that really is the only way that he can get to it, then I imagine he has a deeded right-of-way to get to it, across your property, and to deny him access would be illegal. Just saying.

And I don't think all of us responding RE: dismantling his equipment in some way were responding to you, but rather the other poster who was quite sure that it wasn't illegal. Or at least I was.

Actually, the field is owned by the person I bought my land from. And as farmer and I, farmer and the other guy don't have a formal agreement. So, no deeds, etc.

And I know you guys weren't answering to me re: the dismantling, etc., I was just making it very clear that I was not contemplating that in light of other events in this thread.

Carry on.

Lotsa drama over nothing.