The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

i sure would make sure that the equipment that he left at your house is not able to be removed before you straighten things out. i don't know what kind of equipment we're talking about here, but just as an example, if it's a tractor, take the key out of the ignition, remove the battery, whatever. (i'm not mechanically inclined, so i'm just making things up, but you get my point.) if this was not a huge misunderstanding, and he plans on keeping your hay, tell him you plan on keeping his equipment. otherwise you might come home and discover he picked up his stuff, and you may never hear from him again.

maybe this is not doable depending on exactly what equipment he left there, and maybe it's not even legal to do, but it's the very first thing that popped into my head when you said he left his stuff there. hold his stuff for ransom, if you will.

if it is just a mistake, you could easily hook things back up before he gets back to you with your hay.

I'm curious.
    You can't get ahold of him and his equpment is still at your place - is he OK? Are his workers OK? Did somebody get baled up and in the confusion your hay got loaded and removed? By him or some lowlife? I'd be asking the neighbors what they saw and calling the hay guy repeatedly!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

You're worried about your hay and you waited 4 days to even try to call him? The hay's going to be long eaten before you get an answer at that rate. Why do you have to work out what you're going to say to him. Just ask him, "Where's my d@mn hay?"
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by pennysaver View Post
    i don't know what kind of equipment we're talking about here, but just as an example, if it's a tractor, take the key out of the ignition, remove the battery, whatever. (i'm not mechanically inclined, so i'm just making things up, but you get my point.) if this was not a huge misunderstanding, and he plans on keeping your hay, tell him you plan on keeping his equipment. otherwise you might come home and discover he picked up his stuff, and you may never hear from him again.

maybe this is not doable depending on exactly what equipment he left there, and maybe it's not even legal to do,
    it's not,it's called vandalism and I would have you arrested in the blink of an eye

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Well, your hay is resold and gone by now. You should have called him that very moment and if no answer driven over to his place and waited for him if he wasn't there.

Why in the world would you be concerned about burning bridges? Asking where your hay is isn't burning bridges. Plus, if he took it, you are going to have to pursue legal recourses, and who in their right mind would let that creep back on their property? There is no bridge to burn. He burned HIS bridges with YOU when he took your hay.

Honestly, you've just stood around for 4 days waiting for him to return your phone call? If he took it, what makes you think he's going to call you back? You're hay is gone, mostly through your own inaction.

Odd response, for sure.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post

it's not,it's called vandalism and I would have you arrested in the blink of an eye

Tamara in TN
    Seriously, Tamara in TN? It’s vandalism to take out a battery or key on a vehicle that was abandoned on your property? I don’t think so. For all you know, the key/battery could have been removed in order to protect your machinery from theft in your absence. Really, the police don't want to get involved in petty pissing contests.

OP, did you look in the local resources to see if your hay was being sold? Call up a suspicious advertisment and ask about where it was baled?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Cool

Wow. FWIW, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, right or wrong. I don't know where his house is, so I can't drive over there and wait for him. I have tried to get a hold of him, he's ALWAYS been hard to get a hold of, this is nothing new. I inherited him, so to speak, when I bought my farm. He always farmed the hay, so I just continued on with him. He left rakes and a tedder at my house. Yeah, I considered hooking it up and moving it to an undisclosed location, but then realized I can't really do that, and "keep it from him" until I get my hay or the $$$. I don't need the hay... I didn't want the hay... however, I DO want the $$, which is why I had it sold. My husband just tells me I worry too much, that he'll be along with the money and if he's not... there's always next year to get even. And for the folks who want to make me out to be the one who isn't proactive enough, I'm doing what I can with what information/contact info. is available to me. Also, btw, my daughter was home when they were baling... no one got baled up! LOL
    Shadow Dancer 2/17/91-12/23/10 - "My Horse, My Heart <3"

Liscar...glad you have clarified a few things, and are letting us know this is a bit more of a 'I don't need the hay ' and 'this guy and myself have an understanding' and 'I'll hear from him eventually' kinda thing.

Really, though (!) if you go back and read your first post based on the title of this thread, and pretend you (like any of us) don't know the particulars...Of course (!!) you can see why folks are going, 'Whaaaa?!!??' Because, clearly...if your hay was baled and taken by someone who should have left it, its a bit weird to a lot of us that you didn't call immediately, or track him down immediately, or paste notes all over his equipment, yada, yada, yada.

So your understanding is quite lax, and you don't need the hay. Ok.... then, no emergency! But, I do wonder...you 'said' you already 'sold' it? I'm again expecting that, too, is just 'an understanding? and you haven't really gotten any cash ahead of time?

Yikes! hope so!

Best of luck. Hope you'll let us know what happened!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

[QUOTE=Tamara in TN;5054768]

Tamara in TN

haha, i never said DESTROY his stuff! simply have that key in your house, so when he knocks on the door to say, "where's my key?" the op can say, "where's my hay?" i was hardly suggesting that op should break down his tractor and sell it for parts, just out of spite.

when someone doesn't pay their mortgage, the bank puts a lien on their house. when someone doesn't pay parking tickets, cops put a boot on their car.

Tamara, I know you would never be so unprofessional as to take off with somebody else's hay, so don't put out the apb for me just yet!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyTwo View Post
    Seriously, Tamara in TN? It’s vandalism to take out a battery or key on a vehicle that was abandoned on your property? I don’t think so. For all you know, the key/battery could have been removed in order to protect your machinery from theft in your absence. Really, the police don't want to get involved in petty pissing contests.
    make no damned doubt,if you lay a finger on my equipment w/o proper registered lien or notice of repossession I WILL go after you for whatever the law allows,be it vandalism,attempted theft,or remove it and it is theft...
    and there is nothing petty about 5 or 6 figure pieces of equipment

I would come after you like a nests of hornets and so would any other farmer I have ever met.Many more I know, would just put a gun in your face.Perhaps,you would offer less reckless advice next time??

Tamara in TN
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

[QUOTE]

when someone doesn't pay their mortgage, the bank puts a lien on their house. when someone doesn't pay parking tickets, cops put a boot on their car.
    and the difference is those are official papers backed up by formal demands and notices and rules of order...my lease is my rule of order and my leases say specifically that I can park anywhere not blocking emergency access to the properties

what does the OP lease say "I, the landowner,can screw with your stuff if you're dumb enough to leave it"???

sounds like the OP said one thing to the farmer,OP's husband said another to the farmer and hence a misunderstanding arose.

what is suggested is just like saying "you are five days late on your horses board so we'll hide him til you pay up,thanks"

Tamara in TN

Quote Originally Posted by Liscar View Post
    I have not yet gotten a hold of him. I'm not panicking though. His equipment (or some of it) is still at my place. My husband thinks that there was miscommunication because he did talk to my husband about buying our second cutting, but there was never any firm plans for that. He is assuming (I know, bad thing to do), that he'll bring a check when he comes for his equipment (and why the equipment is still there). Not sure why folks in these parts are so dang hard to get a hold of. Takes days for me to get in touch with my farrier, too! It's frustrating.

SO, that's where we're at right now. I will update as soon as I find out just what the heck is going on!
    I think I may show up at his door. Surely he has a phone and voicemail? Or a wife? Or mailbox? If you wait too long it will be easy for him to skate away. At the very least, maybe leave a note in a ziplock bag attached to his equipment telling him that perhaps there was a mistake but you need the hay or 'x' number of dollars so that you can replace it in time for winter. And make the 'x' the amount it truly would cost you to replace nice, second cutting hay. Let him digest your note and have a moment to decide whether he should return the hay or pay up. I'll bet you get your hay back.

good lord, how did we get from hanging onto a tractor key to putting a gun in someone's face?

hell, man, have a beer or something. 'twas a hypothetical suggestion that the op didn't even consider for more than a second.

backing away from this before someone blows my head off.

OP, good luck finding your hay or your $$.

good lord, how did we get from hanging onto a tractor key to putting a gun in someone's face?
    hell, man, have a beer or something. 'twas a hypothetical suggestion that the op didn't even consider for more than a second.backing away from this before someone blows my head off.
    OP, good luck finding your hay or your $$.

I think theft over $5,000 is a felony no ? I am trying to express to you that the suggestion of messing with a farmers property to "make " him do something is a dangerous, dangerous idea.

Those boys don't play girly "hide the battery" games and that equipment is how they make their mortgage payments.

I wish you could have seen my husbands eyes when I read this thread to him. And he is about the hardest person to make mad on this planet.
    But it was there,even hypothetically,it was there.He said you have no idea what you have suggested.

Tamara in TN

I think theft over $5,000 is a felony no ? I am trying to express to you that the suggestion of messing with a farmers property to "make " him do something is a dangerous, dangerous idea.

Those boys don't play girly "hide the battery" games and that equipment is how they make their mortgage payments.

I wish you could have seen my husbands eyes when I read this thread to him. And he is about the hardest person to make mad on this planet.
    But it was there,even hypothetically,it was there.He said you have no idea what you have suggested.

Tamara in TN

-Jessica

Hey guys! Ok... I talked to him! Yahoo! He had been out of town... which explains why he didn't get his voicemail (he very obviously has an answering machine)... and why he hasn't picked up his equipment. We live in the sticks and he's quite the "old school" farmer... I don't think he even has a cell phone. Don't live in the most modernized of towns!

Let it be known that my first post was my knee jerk reaction/thoughts after I came home to find no hay. Also, no, I had not yet gotten the cash from the person the hay was "sold" to... that's a cash on delivery kinda deal.

Anyway. We were both quite calm. He said to me... "Your husband said you didn't want the second cut"... I said, "Well, if that's what he told you, that's fine, but I did have it sold, so I need the money!" Then he asked me if I wanted him to bring the hay back. I told him not to bother as the person who wanted to buy it had already purchased from somewhere else, to just please bring a check when he picks up the equipment. Saves me the trouble of now having to make room in my barn and finding another buyer (it was going to go from my field to someone else's house). He was more than obliged. So, an innocent misunderstanding between one too many people.

You wanna know the truth? I'd bet dollars to donuts that my husband DID tell him we didn't want (but I bet he said he would sell it to him) the second cut but won't fess up, which is another problem in and of itself. My mares can't eat second cut, it's too rich, which explains why my husband would tell him that, etc.

Anyway, alls well that ends well. I still get my $$$, and the hay guy still has some integrity.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Liscar; Aug. 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Removed the phrase, "I"ll be the one dealing with him from now on".
    Shadow Dancer 2/17/91-12/23/10 - "My Horse, My Heart <3"

make no damned doubt,if you lay a finger on my equipment w/o proper registered lien or notice of repossession I WILL go after you for whatever the law allows,be it vandalism,attempted theft,or remove it and it is theft...
    and there is nothing petty about 5 or 6 figure pieces of equipment

I would come after you like a nests of hornets and so would any other farmer I have ever met.Many more I know, would just put a gun in your face.Perhaps,you would offer less reckless advice next time??

Tamara in TN
    I didn’t offer the advice, merely commented to your reaction to same.

I guess you do things differently in Tennessee than we do up here. There would be no guns in faces (thanks to our civilized gun control laws ) and no calling of police – especially between parties who know and have agreements with each other.

I stand by my statement that the police have more important things to attend to than petty civil complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyTwo View Post
    especially between parties who know and have agreements with each other.

I stand by my statement that the police have more important things to attend to than petty civil complaints.

again how is preventing access to one's property a "petty"matter...???

if I take the battery out of a Lexus, in ransom for some imagined payment, is that "petty" ???

or do you think it's "petty" because it's just "farm equipment"? I am really interested in that logic

Tamara in TN

Wink

Liscar! Were I you, in the future, I would at least find out where the farmer lives!! I would have one person do the "deal making" and I know that in rural area written contracts aren't the norm but they are useful.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.