The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Round bale storage if no barn large enough?

I know this has probably been answered, but I can't get the search feature to work for some reason.

I would like to try feeding some round bales to the horses this year. I have a hay barn, but it only has people sized doors, so I can't fit them in there. I have 2 run in sheds that I could shove them into, but then the horses couldn't use the sheds. Is there any feasible way to store round bales without an actual structure? I only have 3 horses and will feed square bales with meals, but would like to have something out to keep them occupied otherwise, so I'm not talking about a large quantity of round bales, like maybe 4-5 at the most since this is really just a test to see how it goes. I plan to put the hay out for them in a run in shed so it is out of the weather, or maybe even not putting the whole thing out at once. I haven't really thought that part through yet.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Line up a row of pallets, place round bales on pallets, cover with a tarp, weight all edges of the tarp down so it won't blow up and around. Not very attractive, but it keeps the hay off the ground and covers it to keep the precip off. You can find some tarps that are brown, so they aren't as ugly to look at. Make sure that the location you choose to store them has good footing as the tractor going to the row can make a mess. Almost inevitable that it will be a pouring down rainy day when the horses need a fresh roll.

If you lay them down on the strings or netting, you don't need to cover them; just make sure a flat end is not facing the prevailing winds. If the get rained on, you wont lose much, round bales are designed to shed water so loss is minimised to just a couple of inches on the outside wrap. Putting them on pallets will keep them from sitting in mud/water when it rains though. Tarps are a LOT of work, and if you live where it is windy a lot, tarps are three times the work and will eventually pull out the grommets or even just blow away.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I have the seller store mine for me until needed, then I go pick one or two up at a time. They stay nice and dry in their hay shed!!

We have ours on pallets and tarp covered along a fenceline. I'd much rather buy good tarps than have wasted hay.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Thanks! I think I am going to give it a try. I would rather cover with tarps as well. Winter is VERY rainy in Texas and I have covered bale hay with tarps before and it wasn't a huge issue.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

You can get the hay deliverd and place on pallets in a row, then pound in t posts on either side of the row and bend cattle panels over the top of the tposts, you can fasten with heavy duty plastic ties then cover the cattle panels with tarps and fasten with the plastic ties.Bending the cattle panels takes 2 people. You can remove the thing when you don't need it anymore.

One of those "garage in a box" shelters?

OH, I like the cattle panel idea and the previous owner left me a ton of them in the rafters of one of the barns. I might give that a try.

I have a garage in a box type thingie and it's not very sturdy at all, so I would have to think about it. I have a closed off area at the end of my arena that I can use, I just have to cover the bales. It was used to hold calves for calf roping in a previous life and has a very large swinging gate.

Tks for all of the ideas!
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

With some forethought and jury rigging with extra tie downs and sturdier posts the gararge in a box should work. There are different brands and levels. Ours, as a tractor garage has withstood several New England winters with blizzard conditions and high winds. Granted,, it's not out in the open, but it's worked well for us. Extra anchor posts and tie downs over the fabric cover has made it pretty sturdy, although,, it's due for a new cover this winter. Before we got it, it wa a temporary home ( for a year and a half) for a horse- with half as a stall, and half as shavings/tack storage. Good luck.

HHHmm.. I will have to take a look at mine then. It is currently in pieces in storage because the wind twisted it up and blew it down. I had been storing 2 boats in it when this happened; no boats were injured though. I wonder if the issue is that it may be too large? It's sort of like a big white tent you would have a wedding reception in, if you put the side flaps down.

If I used it though, I could use panels to block off the extra round bales and just slide out one at a time for them to eat and it would all be covered. It's something to think about.

We don't really have bad winters even though we did have snow a few times last year, but we do have very bad storms with heavy rain and, until after October, hurricanes can be a concern.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

Might work . Ours is a 12( I think) X24' model. Check out;www.farmtek.com for sizes and types and accessories.

I don't have room in my barn either and have been feeding round bales the last two winters. My hay guy brings them over on a wagon and parks the wagon and leaves it and then we cover them with tarps. If I wasn't lucky to keep the wagon for the winter, i'd just sit them on the ground and cover them with tarps. They are wrapped really well, so it's a matter of covering the ends as best as possible.