The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Anyone with experience wtith DEGENERATIVE SUSPENSORY LIGAMENT DESMITIS?

I have a friend in our barn that has a mare diagonosed with Degernative Suspensory Ligament Desmitis...

http://www.equipodiatry.com/dsld.htm

Any success stories or ways to get them pasture sound?

Our Maddie was diagnosed in 2008. Almost exactly a year later, she had deteriorated so badly we had her euthanized.

There is an active Yahoo group on it.

DSLD-EPSA
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Yes, one of my boarders just was diagnosed with it. He is older (24 years) and apparently (according to my vet) horses who only show symptoms at an older age do better than those that show when they are young (like age 8).

Dr. Kellon is doing a study adding an amino acid (AAKG) and an herb to DSLD horses' diets. It is relatively cheap ( around $30/month) so we figured it couldn't hurt (also I asked my vet if he thought it was safe and he said it was). I was a bit sceptical (my vet is not a fan of Dr. Kellon's) but I have to tell you, the stuff worked like magic. It has only been three months or so, and the AAKG has reversed the symptoms we were seeing. Amazing.

Again, worth a try given its safety and price. (We do not give the herb b/c my boarder has to be on maintenance bute for other issues).

If you do research online, as I did, it can freak you out, because there are a lot of "its a death sentence!" things out there. While it can be, it isn't always.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Yes, one of my boarders just was diagnosed with it. He is older (24 years) and apparently (according to my vet) horses who only show symptoms at an older age do better than those that show when they are young (like age 8).

Dr. Kellon is doing a study adding an amino acid (AAKG) and an herb to DSLD horses' diets. It is relatively cheap ( around $30/month) so we figured it couldn't hurt (also I asked my vet if he thought it was safe and he said it was). I was a bit sceptical (my vet is not a fan of Dr. Kellon's) but I have to tell you, the stuff worked like magic. It has only been three months or so, and the AAKG has reversed the symptoms we were seeing. Amazing.

Again, worth a try given its safety and price. (We do not give the herb b/c my boarder has to be on maintenance bute for other issues).

If you do research online, as I did, it can freak you out, because there are a lot of "its a death sentence!" things out there. While it can be, it isn't always.

Is there some place to buy the AAKG?

Yes, if you google it, or "dsld treatment" a lot should come up. I think the website is something like "buyaakg.com" I believe you have to enroll in Dr. Kellon's study before you buy it; but that's free and easy (done online). Definitely join the yahoo group for dsld, Dr. Kellon is on there, as is the woman who sells the AAKG.

Mine was diagnosed a few months ago at age 21...but only with the flexion test. So, as much as I love my vet, I remain some what skeptical considering he doesn't act like the horse at our barn that is a confirmed DSLD case.

I joined the yahoo group and learned a great deal. Bought the supplements....haven't used them yet. It is difficult when you board your horse....dosage has to be fed a certain amount of time after or before you feed and twice a day.

I would join the yahoo group and go from there.

I lost one mare to DSLD at age 19- she was diagnosed at 14, but probably had had it longer - I got her at 14. She was a Peruvian Paso. Her condition was confirmed by Dr. Halper who did an examination of tissue samples taken when my nare was euthed. Tissue samples were sent to her by the attending vet at my request. This mare was registered.

My vet said her son Jacques was probably going have it too. He is out of this mare, and by a very prominant registered stallion.She was in foal with Jacques when I got her. Jacques is gelded and I didn't bother having him registered. I started him on Dr. Kellon's protocol and he is totally pasture sound- hasn't had any symptoms since starting on Dr Kellon's plan -- except that he never does a whole body shake like the other horses here, and he is a bit stiff when he first gets up from lying down.

Though he was trained under saddle, I quit riding him once his dam was diagnosed. He is coon footed on all four legs. He did have one bout of hives, a swollen sheath and unexplained lameness in one front leg that resulved itself- vet coun't find any reason for his limping. This all happened at the same time when he was four. He will be nine Sept 16.

Go to the DSLD support group on yahoo. This is a great group. They helped me get through the ups and downs of five years of caring for a DSLD horse. They also were very supportive whoe the time came for the final act of kindness.

Many DSLD horses seem to be able to live relatively normal lives, especially if the situation is cught early. Good Luck.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

Tell your friend to try Dr. Kellon's study with AAKG and Jiaogulan. My 22 yo QH is going on 3 years with DSLD. The disease is too advanced in him to ride him anymore, but he gets around rather well still. I'm convinced these two additions help him tremendously.

I give him one rounded tbsp. each with his feed in the morning and afternoon. Dr. Kellon suggests giving it to the horse 15 mins. prior to their grain, but my horse does just fine with it sprinkled right on.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    It is difficult when you board your horse....dosage has to be fed a certain amount of time after or before you feed and twice a day.

Yes, they say to feed it 20 min. prior to a meal, which is very difficult for me too. I asked about that, and the theory is that it is best fed on an empty stomach, so they are assuming the horse is stalled and not fed for a while. All mine are out on pasture 24/7, so their stomachs are never empty. The advice I got was just to put it on his feed, so I do, and as I say, it seems to have made a tremendous difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Yes, they say to feed it 20 min. prior to a meal, which is very difficult for me too. I asked about that, and the theory is that it is best fed on an empty stomach, so they are assuming the horse is stalled and not fed for a while. All mine are out on pasture 24/7, so their stomachs are never empty. The advice I got was just to put it on his feed, so I do, and as I say, it seems to have made a tremendous difference.
    That is good info for me. I'm going to start giving it again tomorrow then.

There is also a message board on yahoo for DSLD. Lots of folks to talk to abt it.

My horse was diagnosed at 19/almost 20, and was humanely euthanized 4 months after diagnosis. It started out with a suspensory injury to the left front. She was recovering really well from that and then ruptured the deep flexor on the left front. Suspensories and deep flexors on all four palpated with mushy spots and lesions.

Joining the Yahoo DSLD/EPSA board was very helpful. The folks there are super nice and helpful. I used the jiagulon/AAKG protocol and it did give her tremendous relief for a while but it was short lived.

It's a nasty disease.

P.S. - just read about the 20 minutes advice. I too gave it on a little soaked beet pulp and it seemed to work fine. They advised me to give a little extra if giving it with food already in the stomach.

Can anyone reccommend a good source for Jiaogulan? I see bottles for people, but where can I buy 'horse" sized bottles.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    Can anyone reccommend a good source for Jiaogulan? I see bottles for people, but where can I buy 'horse" sized bottles.
    You can order it from Dr. Kellon. It's not bad, about 35.00 with shipping.

Go here and fill out the form to be part of the study, then they'll send you info on how to pay for the supplements.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/curlygait/DSLD.html

I have had several horses retire at my farm with advanced DSLD/ESPA. Connect with the Eleanor Kellon Yahoo DSLD group to get the latest and to really understand ESPA, because it's a whole body condition that is thought to affect all connective tissue. You just see it first in the hind suspensories for some reason.

None of the horses I have experience with ever became anything more than pasture sound (as sound as you can be with dropped fetlocks behind), but had very good quality of life and lived for years with the disease as long as they were carefully managed (firm footing, minimal mud, housed with gentle horses who didn't chase them). The two that have passed on both died, I suspect, of causes related to the disease (which does a number on all connective tissue in the body ---- one became severely wasted in her hind end and the other died of a ruptured blood vessel in the lung.

The third horse is still retired with me, is in her mid-20s, and is doing great retired in pasture with a gentle companion.

Thanks for all the info everyone! She is going to order Dr. Kellon's supplement and see how she does..

My gelding was put down last summer from it. One piece of advice that I can give is to please keep an eye on the horse. Like many things, sometimes he would have days where he looked fine and then there were days where he looked like he was really in a lot of pain. It only took a couple of times to see him hurt like that for me to make the decision. From what I understand it is very painful and my boy was only 8. It's a heartbreaking disease.

Best of luck to your friend.

I have a 15 yr. old Cleveland Bay eventer (very successful locally, regionally and nationally at training level) who was diagnosed with DSLD in June 2009. We got an MRI that looked suspicious, checked with Dr. Kent Allen, who suggested it might be DSLD and got a confirming diagnosis with a nuchal ligament biopsy at LSU vet school. We stopped ridding her immediately and to this date she is completely happy being retired and just being a horse. It broke my heart but she does not seem to be in any distress and is completely happy hanging out with her pasture buddy. This is a really crappy (excuse my "french") deal for all concerned but hopefully thing will work out for you.

My horse has it. He had the symptoms from a young age, when at age 6, he was diagnosed with a lax suspensory in a hind leg. My vet said it would not be a problem for 10 years, and last year -- a decade later -- he was hopping lame after a ride. The vet diagnosed it as desmitis.

He has the dropped fetlock on that leg and a fat windpuff, on that site. Often, DSLD affects the branches of the suspensory, and that's the primary site for him.

I have him enrolled in Dr. K's study and give him the 2 Chinese herbs mentioned -- AAKG and Jiaogulan (sp?!). I think they have made a difference.

He can't receive the herbs at a time separate from meal time, so I increase the dose by 1/2 (if get 1tablespoon, I give him 1.5tablespoons...). I put mine in ground flaxseed and just stir them up and put them in baggies for the barn staff to feed.

I get my J from American Herbs -- they're on line.

The woman, Bunny, who is a super-helpful and generous woman, will help you with ordering (she handles the AAKG) and told me about A. Herb.

This horse is now 16 yrs old, and in light work. I do give him bute on the days I ride him (2x/week) -- no herbs are given in the following meal (if I ride him in the a'noon, he gets a bute at that time and no herbs in the PM feed). They apparently counter-act each other.

1 year from Diagnosis our pony was euthenized. His whole apparattus was non working. Very, very sad