The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Things I have learned because I own a horse...

1) A good BO is worth your horse's weight in gold, (this also goes for fellow boarders who look out for your horse when you're not around!)

2) If I ever become a BO I'm going to keep the best stalls/paddocks/pastures for myself and not give them to the boarders just to take them back again. Oh and I'm going to thank my boarders when then do things that make my life easier. Basically I'll learn from my experiences as a boarder to become a good BO.

3) Patience is very hard to have with some people, especially the kind that think they know it all.

4) Don't whine about your BO on COTH because people will just tell you to move your horse, but don't compromise your horses' safety because you are too lazy to find a new barn.

5) I will never own a horse unless I can afford to care for it, and all of the trouble it may cause.

6) When I own my own property I will pay extra to put up good fencing because it will save me heartache and money in the long run.

7) The best way to end a rough day at work is to snuggle with your pony and then go home a drink a glass/bottle of your favorite adult beverage...

Anything else you would like to add?

oh yeah and

8) Don't put on lip glass and then go groom a shedding horse, YECK!

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyBay View Post
    oh yeah and

8) Don't put on lip glass and then go groom a shedding horse, YECK!
    or chew gum...
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

1) A good BO is worth your horse's weight in gold, (this also goes for fellow boarders who look out for your horse when you're not around!)
    Oh oh am I a good BO (well barn manager, and no I am not puting I am a BM! ) since I have been checking on and staying up with my boarder's 2yr (3 nights without sleep!) since last Friday? And giving him his IV meds and keeping in touch with the vet?

So things I have learned:

1. The sounder the horse the lamer the rider and vice versa

2. Regular massages and chiro for my horses in work is a must have. Though I just heard they have those for people too?!

3. You can go way more hours without sleep then the doctor tells you to. Though it is time to sleep when you see barn cats running down the aisle.......and you don't have a cat!

4.The day after you turn down a 6 figure sum for your horse he will become injured

5.Turns out they have a smell.... I still don't think so but some of the guys I have dated (before DH) thought so

6.No amount of cleaning will get the horse manure and betadine out of my Gucci shoes

7.When looking to purchase always +/- a hand from the horse's advertised price

8.Romen Noodles can be yummy

9. OTTB stands for I NEED IT!

10.Horse people have their special sort of insanity

And many many more I actually have a list like this! lol

But the largest is No. 12

12. If you find a guy who puts up with your smell, your horses, the intersting things you own, MARRY HIM! I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    Oh oh am I a good BO (well barn manager, and no I am not puting I am a BM! ) since I have been checking on and staying up with my boarder's 2yr (3 nights without sleep!) since last Friday? And giving him his IV meds and keeping in touch with the vet?

12. If you find a guy who puts up with your smell, your horses, the intersting things you own, MARRY HIM! I did!
    You sound amazing and I wish you were my BO!

And I totally agree with #12, I have to most amazing SO, even though we aren't married yet. He will drop what he is doing to help me with a "barn crisis"

I learned to turn around three times before laying down for a nap.
    Ooops, that was something I learned from my dog, not my horse.
    Another try, I learned that if you are a horse, you can eat watermelon making slurping noises and everyone will just smile at you and think you are cute.
    If you are a person, you better not make any noises eating.

I learned that just because you like horses, not everyone else is interested in horse topics.
    That doesn't leave me much else to talk about, oh, yes, dog topics.

I learned that horse people are indeed most of them good, honest and helpful people, even if some can be very opinionated and a force of nature.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

That the horse world is a totally different culture...

That in that horse culture are separate subcultures based on disciplines and breed preferances.

That horse people can be the nicest most helpful people ever, or.. the most batshit crazy and evil people ever..

That you might as well buy the nicer expensive tack because you will just spend the same amt of $$ replacing the cheap stuff, but you can find way that nicer doesn't always have to cost $$ if you shop correctly.

A good vet, farrier and BO/BM are worth their weight in gold!!

And most importantly any agreement you have GET IT IN WRITING!!!
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

There is no situation so bad that you cannot make it worse by letting your [horse] know you're worried about it.

I've found one can substitute the words "client" or "boss" or "SO" into the above sentence and it still reads just as true.

How to be humble, and on the other hand, how to be confident.

Wisdom does not necessarily follow age or experience.

The horse world is a very small place.

Expect to live like a college student while the horse lives like a king.

If you wear a clean white shirt to the barn, your horse will invariably mark it with green slime in a inappropriate spot.

1)
    2) If I ever become a BO I'm going to keep the best stalls/paddocks/pastures for myself and not give them to the boarders just to take them back again. Oh and I'm going to thank my boarders when then do things that make my life easier. Basically I'll learn from my experiences as a boarder to become a good BO.
    Revise this: The quality of care should be the same for ALL horses; my horses share the same pastures and use the same stalls as the boarded horses. I once boarded somewhere for a large sum of $$$ and the owner's horses got separate grain and hay because the crap they were feeding the boarded horses was not up to their personal standards...I didn't stay there long but it made a lasting impression on me. Just MHO
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by spotmenow View Post
    Revise this: The quality of care should be the same for ALL horses; my horses share the same pastures and use the same stalls as the boarded horses. I once boarded somewhere for a large sum of $$$ and the owner's horses got separate grain and hay because the crap they were feeding the boarded horses was not up to their personal standards...I didn't stay there long but it made a lasting impression on me. Just MHO
    I hope you also made a lasting impression on that BO.

I second that we learn from horses to be humble, every day.

I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Couture TB

I didn't, he also had a serious drinking problem.

1. Patience.
    2. Know your weaknesses and strengths. Act accordingly.
    3. Take moments to just. be. still.
    4. Breathe.
    5. What one wants is not always what one needs.
    6. Selflessness.
    9. Every animal and person you meet has something to share.
    10. Things and people are rarely what they appear.
    11. People can be much stronger than they initially believe.
    12. "Light off the leg, soft in the hand, ride the horse and not the plan" does not just apply to the equine world.

Probably oddest are all the things riding has taught me that apply to dance, most notably: Just because you THINK you are asking for something, doesn't mean that's what you're doing. If I think I want a right lead canter and I keep getting a left every single time...it might not be him.

Pay attention to your surroundings, no matter how complex the physical task is.

You are always progressing faster than you think. Even if it's not as fast as you want.

Just because you THINK you will be good at a particular discipline doesn't mean that's how it'll turn out. (In dance: I would have said I'd suck at Latin, be good at Standard. Total opposite. In riding: I bought the horse planning to hunt, but he's showing a surprising interest in/aptitude for...gymkhana gaming.)

Overall: Horsie Zen Master says "Learn to go with the flow. (And give me peppermints.")

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Run first
    Ask questions later
    (applies to anything that spooks you)
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

One minute you're on top of the world....5 mins later, you're ass is in the dirt!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Turns out they have a smell.... I still don't think so but some of the guys I have dated (before DH) thought so
    I once was away from horses long enough to realize they do smell.... it was a very sad day when I realized that

OH ya that after you haven't ridden in awhile and go taste testing at the Jelly Belly factory and try the grass and dirt jelly bellys at the same time the taste is just like when your horse jumps you at a cross country jump! Kinda made me cry since I missed that taste

OH ya that after you haven't ridden in awhile and go taste testing at the Jelly Belly factory and try the grass and dirt jelly bellys at the same time the taste is just like when your horse jumps you at a cross country jump! Kinda made me cry since I missed that taste
    I just learned they make grass and dirt flavored jelly bellys....now the question I need answered is why?