The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cowboy mounted shooting

I just saw some videos of cowboy mounted shooting and it looks like so much fun. I would love to try it, although I think my big WB dressage horse might object to such antics.

Has anyone done it or gone to see it live? From what I was able to see there are a couple of clubs within 2 hrs of me.

I've seen it at http://www.doubleeranch.com/mounted_...g_clinics.html It looks like a lot of fun. They taught it and had plenty of trained horses you could have a go on.

There is a big shoot near my farm coming up in September.

We have been to watch and it looks like fun.

http://www.tcandsc.org/tcscCowboyMat...onStampede.htm

My vet does this- he has a blast and is really good at it....

Not "cowboy," but:

http://picasaweb.google.com/wkambic/...08768350678114

Me on my mare doing the Mounted Pistol Course at the Eastern Regional Cavalry Competition in 2008.

We've done a couple of local shoots and learned a great deal in a clinic put on by Kenda Lenseigne, a nationally rated mounted shooter. In fact this is in the top three of clinics I've ever attended. Not only is she an accompised rider and shooter she's also an accomplished teacher. These skills are not always found in the same person.

The WB has some of its roots in the heavy cavalry horse of Europe in the 18th and 19th Centuries. The heavy cavalry was a "shock arm" used to charge infantry forces that had, hopefully, been weakened by an artillery barrage. So they had to be pretty well "gun broke." In this sense maybe your horse will take the gaff and maybe it won't. It will likely not be real competitive as this is a timed event and the top performing horses frequently come out of the barrel racing world.

Some organizations like CMSA are competitively oriented. The SASS group is more "fun" oriented. There are some other organizations out there but I don't know much about them.

It's a hoot as an activity and most of the folks, even in the very competititve CMSA, are pretty nice.

If you're really interested, find a local club and contact them. Go and see a couple of shoots. Then start looking for somebody to help you gunbreak your horse. Then go burn some power and slay lots of baloons!!!!!!!!!!!!

G.

I feel the same way about this that I do about roping, which I deem unsafe for my horse or any cow, through no fault of their own. While I'm confident my horse would learn to tolerate shooting, I'm afraid he would end up with holes in his ears (or worse).
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I really enjoyed it but my horse hated it. Great family sport. The times I rode a trained horse was just a blast!

I always have enjoyed dressing up though...the little girl in me still...teehee
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

I know several people who do CMS (and some who do it sidesaddle ). We've had a group come to our Bluebonnet Horse Expo to do demos two different years, and they're always amazing.

Unfortunately, my eyesight prevents me from getting involve in CMS. It looks like loads of fun..
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    I feel the same way about this that I do about roping, which I deem unsafe for my horse or any cow, through no fault of their own. While I'm confident my horse would learn to tolerate shooting, I'm afraid he would end up with holes in his ears (or worse).
    You don't use bullets, only black powder, so no danger of shooting holes in your horses ears.

It is absolutely hysterical, or at least it was the first time I watched it, in combination with skijoring.

I watched the skijoring first, and thought, wow, that looks like so much fun. then the shooters came and I almost fell over laughing. Talk about a bunch of yahoos.
    I didn't feel any horses were harmed or hurt, and it looks like fun. The guns are not 'loaded' and are not going to put a hole in anyone's ears.

I hope our winter weather is good, so we can do the skijoring. I don't intend to do the shooting, I don't have an appropriate horse for that.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I have a kind of funny story about CMS -- I had adopted/bought a nice little QH mare from (gasp!) CBER a few years ago and there was some horse affair going on that they were participating in and asked if I'd bring Thistle down to show off.

So Saturday night there was a parade of all participants in the main arena. Tons of horse activity going on and there was a CMS demonstration. Since CBER was the next group to parade around, we were all milling around the holding area with other horse participants including a local natural horse trainer who shall remain nameless, we'll call him "Frank." Frank had his horse there who was his demonstration model and was very well trained in the ways of NHT (or so he thought). Well the shooting started and my horse jumped once and then stood calmly the rest of the demo. Frank's horse had a total melt down And this was after he said some really insulting remarks about my horse. Frank was trying desperately to make his horse concentrate on work instead of shooting but he wasn't having any of it. Meanwhile, Thistle and I stood at the rail and watched all of the goings on and I swear she looked like she wanted to join in the fun.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I didn't realize how many people on this board have participated or seen it. I think I will call and see if I can go see some action live. It would be hilarious to see my 17h dressage horse doing it. I was thinking we would have to dress up in cavalry outfit to participate :P

Usually the clubs accommodate new people pretty well. Go and watch it first. You can bring your horse to watch and see how they react to the shooting as well.

I found a site once that did a good job of explaining the levels and requirements. Can't find it right now.

If I remember you use revolvers loaded with blanks. Balloons are tied on poles in different patterns and you shoot one color on the way out then gallop back shooting the second round.

I think there was a point deduction for missed balloons and it is a timed event. There are a bunch of videos out there as you must have already discovered.

I definitely want to try it some day. I think my mare is perfect to shoot off of.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Not "cowboy," but:

http://picasaweb.google.com/wkambic/...08768350678114

Me on my mare doing the Mounted Pistol Course at the Eastern Regional Cavalry Competition in 2008.
    Awesome pictures, and your mare is just lovely.

I want to try mounted shooting some day. The CMS club near us does beginners clinics where they provide the guns. Looks like a blast! (pun intended, haha)

Several years ago there was a competition at the fairgrounds near me. Fun to watch...all the contestants dressed in period costumes. The contestants had to run timed patterns shooting balloons on poles and cones. It was exciting to watch and looked like a ton of fun. I was amazed at how well those horses took that loud noise so close to their ears but none of them reacted at all. If I had tried that on my horse they would have been picking me out of the rafters in that covered arena
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."