The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

So I read in the COTH that my former home raised eventing mount has once again won his division of Novice, this time at Waredaca Horse Trials with his current owner DC McBroom. With a dressage score of 23!

http://www.waredaca.com/HorseTrials/...resultsSat.htm

I find it amazing that any horse can score a 23 much less a former horse of mine. This lady must be some kind of super DQ. If not, she ought to be.

Anyway, congrats to DC and Woodbine, they are truly a perfect team and I'm sure she has worked hard to get there. I hope she has a video of that dressage test as it must have been spectacular. I sure wish I had seen it. I'd have been a proud mama. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

So I read in the COTH that my former home raised eventing mount has once again won his division of Novice, this time at Waredaca Horse Trials with his current owner DC McBroom. With a dressage score of 23!

http://www.waredaca.com/HorseTrials/...resultsSat.htm

I find it amazing that any horse can score a 23 much less a former horse of mine. This lady must be some kind of super DQ. If not, she ought to be.

Anyway, congrats to DC and Woodbine, they are truly a perfect team and I'm sure she has worked hard to get there. I hope she has a video of that dressage test as it must have been spectacular. I sure wish I had seen it. I'd have been a proud mama. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

If the horse is up to the jumping part than she needs to move up.
    I scored a 24 at novice on a horse one time and my instructor insisted he move up as she felt it wasn't fair to keep competing at novice by scoring so well in dressage.
    Congrats!!!!

I feel like novice is one of the most difficult divisions to ribbon in since you have "professional" novice riders who probably are really DQ's in the off season

uhh..I scored a 21.5 at training in the spring and I didn't see anyone telling me to move up to prelim because of that? I tied for 1st out of 93 riders in dressage at the AEC and got eliminated on xc..so I wouldn't put much that much merit on how a dressage score translates into jumping abilities...specifically not related to moving up the levels.

Of course fix the jumping problems and a score in the 20s is almost unbeatable..save a rail or two.

And no, DC is no DQ...although she does look smashing http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Friend of mine scored a 14 at her first pre training (your novice level) on a young horse. I saw the score and had to admit I thought the scorer had rubbed out part of the first digit..thought it was supposed to be 44 as everyone else had scores ranging from 28 to 45!!!

No, it was 14 and she did a near perfect test with comments and scores to match!

I used to think it was amazing to see anyone score below a 30. Now I am seeing a lot of scores in the 20's. Does anyone else think that there is score deflation going on here?

Dressage scores have PRECIOUS LITTLE to do with one's ability to move up. I've seen horses do stellar in dressage that are XC weenies or horrible jumpers...this is VERY common at the lowest levels because people are bringing their fancy dressage horses out to give eventing a try. And this is a good, good thing: no doubt lots of these horses improve, but a low score doesn't connote readiness to move up in any way, shape or form.

In DC's horse's case, he has (IIRC) an old pasture injury that keeps him from going higher than Novice. Having seen them go, I'm convinced that is the ONLY thing holding them back--they're a fabulous team. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

Way to go, DC and Woody!
    Click here before you buy.

Score deflation? I don't really think so. 20s in dressage would be 70something in dressage, which is a fairly common winning score (well, maybe not COMMON, but you know what I mean). Eventers are just getting better at dressage, since being last after dressage and going clear jumping doesn't get you in the ribbons like it used to!

JenniferS

Painted Wings - that is a great story - it's so nice to hear about a former horse doing well and happy with its new owner.

As far as the scores - I see a lot of really good dressage in the lower levels - the riders can get away with some less than stellar xc and stadium rounds. But as you move up - dressage becomes just another score - the focus is still (and I hope it remains so) on xc.

That's what separates the men from the boys. Many folks stay at the lower levels because let's face it - how many of us grow up galloping across hayfields anymore? Fewer and fewer of us feel comfortable taking obstacles at speed.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sagebrush:
    If the horse is up to the jumping part than she needs to move up.
    I scored a 24 at novice on a horse one time and my instructor insisted he move up as she felt it wasn't fair to keep competing at novice by scoring so well in dressage.
    Congrats!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think we should ever put pressure on anyone to move up. Even if they win every weekend on a 14. We do what we are comfortable with or in this case, what the horse is capable of. I am sure DC gets enough heat about her winning performances.

Got a 19 this summer at Plantation. But it didn't help on cross country! Hah hah. I was smiling at this thread...
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

You go Woody, you the man!

Not bad for a horse who almost severed a tendon in his hind leg.
    Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance. -- Oscar Wilde
    Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield, today I think you were both -- Jack LeGoff

No I don't think its score deflation..I think its called BETTER dressage being done in the sport. Its also the influence of bringing in better bred "sporthorses" into eventing, not to knock a TB just referring to more dressage/jumper bloodlines.

I better score low 20s considering Manny scores in the 70% range in recognized first level shows. I consider this a barometer for whether the judging id deflation or not. Yes I have bad days, Manny does too in the dressage arena, but to score high 30s even is a bad dream anymore http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

And the judges i see in eventing are also whom I see in recognized dressage, so don't say eventing dressage isn't rewarded correctly.

Sometimes I feel uncomfortable being too far ahead on the leader board, cause I know the others in my division are hoping that fancy dressage horse of mine won't go double clean..its the "curse of dressage" I say.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Sometimes I feel uncomfortable being too far ahead on the leader board, cause I know the others in my division are hoping that fancy dressage horse of mine won't go double clean..its the "curse of dressage" I say. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Puh-leez. Give your fellow competitors SOME credit--there are very, very few bad sports in eventing, IME, who go around wishing someone else will have a bad ride. Sounds more like the "curse of a colossal ego" to me. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

I have given a 20% in a preliminary test and was sure I would have scored the ride about an 80% in First Level at a Dressage show as well. (The short arena has some impact on this)

I think there will be lower scores in the future as more and more warmbloods are being brought into eventing for the modified courses. It is true though that some warmbloods don't think the cross country is as much fun as other breeds http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Sorry Boss Hoss, you walked right into that one and, never one to disappoint, DW didn't disappoint!

When you're consistently finishing on that low 20, maybe you'll have voodoo dolls crafted in your likeness!

Also, the lower levels of eventing have never been dominated by the full TB.

Robby
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

No, you're right..nobody ever wishes that rail will fall or that you will have time penalties or just something, maybe missing a fence. No, that never happens. :roll: of course nobody wishes ill will on anyone else, but sometime the cup holds the rail nomatter what you do and sometimes its loaded with butter and nothing stays up for you.

I think we've all seen instances where someone doing really well in dressage, has problems in XC, for instance. I see it a lot it seems. I've moved up as a result, and been the one falling back too.

Seems there's always one in the top 3 of those really good dressage scores falling back.

We may need dressage/jumper influence from the warmblood programs, but we still need the heart and soul of the TB in the mix. I think we'll see dressage improve more rapidly than xc as the warmblood influence comes in, so don't be surprised to see more lower dressage scores, and more xc troubles to go with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Seems there's always one in the top 3 of those really good dressage scores <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alas, I wouldn't know... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif I just keep praying for "30-something" and to find the button that makes my horse CHILL in the dressage ring. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

This made me laugh. I am the one with a dressage score of the low 20's but then usually have stops x-country b/c of my chicken horse and yes he is a tb!
    This weekend our dressage wasn't so good but he went clean x-country..go figure. He didn't like the mud in the dressage. I learned that he can be very careful about putting his feet down..too careful. He was so slow I felt like I couldn't even get him going.