The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default "Agent Orange" sprayed by neighbour on my land-wwyd?

So, on my farmette, I have built my fences about 6 feet inside the common property line to prevent the horses from damaging the neighbour's vegetation. The original property line was well marked with an old paigewire fence, which the neighbours removed as it was unsightly. So then I marked it with an electric wire strand, (not charged) which they also found unsightly because it got removed. The stakes it was attached to were not removed, so I just left some of them up and they remain.

As a result, I've had to stop them dumping lawn clippings on my margins where the horses were reaching through the fence and getting to them, had to stop them from cutting trees on my land, had to ask their grandkids to leave my pastures and to not feed my horses etc. They are not bad people, they are just kind of I don't know,? ignorant? or maybe they pretend well?

This morning, I found someone in an environmental hazard suit spraying my fencelines and margins with 2-4-D. My property. An organic farm FFS.

I ask if its toxic. He says "No". I ask, why the hazmat suit then? and why on my land? He's just doing what the neighbour told him. The property line is still marked with about 5 stakes along 200 feet that we share in common.

WTF!

They have a monoculture lawn, palm trees, monster house, etc. In an area of small farms. CityFolks.

I phoned the spray company responsible, who tried to tell me the 2-4-D was not harmful but I should keep my animals off the land for a couple of days. WTF!! again If its not harmful, why do I need to keep them off it? What about me? I was in the middle of painting the fence-I was going to start the spot where they sprayed TODAY! Apparently, I should wait a couple of days before I do that too, since the spray is all over the vegetation and the fence.

I do not want to be a bad neighbour but...

WWYD?
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

new, tall privacy fence on the property line
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I would put up another fence right on the property line, if that's allowed by your zoning.

Then I would plant non-toxic evergreens between the two fences. Something that would grow tall and thick. Even better if it were prickly.

good suggestions. I planted 24 evergreens along the property line before they removed the old fence. Unfortunately I do not have enough water pressure to water them and most have died in our previous 5 years of drought. About 6 remain. There was a partial natural fence of blackberries, but they killed them with ROUND UP a few years ago- and that's legal since they sprayed the vines on their land and the roots were on mine. Something prickly also would make the fence hard to paint.

Estimate for new fence, solid, privacy is allowed but=more than I can afford right now. The weed guy suggested that orange plastic snow fencing! haha. I am not that mean.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Electric fence...hot. Let them know if they remove it, they are trespassing and you will contact the police/sheriff.

When someone does something potentially dangerous (as they did) it's time to pull off the gloves.

Maybe you should write "oops my sprayer slipped" in big round-up letters on their lawn some night.

"Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Quote Originally Posted by nickers@dawn View Post
    Maybe you should write "oops my sprayer slipped" in big round-up letters on their lawn some night.

are you for hire?

I did not know 2-4-D was "agent orange"

seriously... is it?

cause I thought that stuff was illegal

If they sprayed into your pastures, you can go complain to your state regulatory agency and they will tell you how to proceed from that.

That herbicide is not harmful to you, your pets or your livestock, but that is irrelevant to the fact that it was sprayed on YOUR land without your permission.
    Heads would roll around here for something like that, even for a little drift.
    A neighbor had someone spraying Roundup, it drifted and it suppressed our grass for some 20' all along a mile of common fence.
    You never heard anyone apologize so fast and trying to make amends, so we didn't report it, not that we were going to, being a true mistake.
    The grass recovered by the next year anyway.

Do spend the money to put at least a few steel post and two wires up, or that land past the fence line, not being well demarcated, can be legally claimed by your neighbor eventually as his.

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    are you for hire?
    Hmmmmm......I may be persuaded.

All joking aside, that is beyond rude and dangerous to you and your animals. Maybe a call to the cops is in order. Can they even do anything?
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post

seriously... is it?

That's why it is in quotes...

Seriously, step it up before you lose your 6 feet of buffer zone...

Pick a paint that lasts a few years, then plant the blackberries back they cut back easily enough for a paint job every few years.

But I suggest the hotwire as well, with warning signs, of course..I mean, wtf? Just removing your fence because they don't like the look?! (and were would you get snow fence in the land of palm trees? )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post

seriously... is it?

What happened is that, first, those chemicals were way overused and so, like with anything else, you can do harm with overuse, even drinking too much water can kill you.

Second, the chemicals they used in Agent Orange were not only those, but contaminated with others that were considerably more apt to do damage than the basic 24D or the one we used on mesquite trees, 245T.

Any chemical is harmful when not formulated or used properly.

We don't know how they were spraying it in the OP's land, if alone or combined with others and hopefully they know what they were doing.

Dance naked along the area where they sprayed like chanting gobbledegook very very loudly. Perhaps with a loudspeaker.

When questioned, tell them since you're an organic farm, you must use natural, spiritual means of banishing the negative energy the chemicals they sprayed have caused. Invite over some fat hairy friends to join in said naked banishment dance.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

[QUOTE][QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post

This morning, I found someone in an environmental hazard suit spraying my fencelines and margins with 2-4-D.
    I ask if its toxic. He says "No". I ask, why the hazmat suit then? and why on my land? He's just doing what the neighbour told him. The property line is still marked with about 5 stakes along 200 feet that we share in common.
    normally common held fences are discussed and these things agreed on in advance many years ago on another farm we sought permission to remove scrub nasties and briars from a common held fenceline
    "oh no" says she "I like to look at the trees"
    but we need to fix the fence for the horses
    "too bad" says she
    shrug
    ok then...
    that corner of land was sold to put in an electric substation
    she moved

I phoned the spray company responsible, who tried to tell me the 2-4-D was not harmful but I should keep my animals off the land for a couple of days. WTF!! again If its not harmful, why do I need to keep them off it? What about me? I was in the middle of painting the fence-I was going to start the spot where they sprayed TODAY! Apparently, I should wait a couple of days before I do that too, since the spray is all over the vegetation and the fence.
    in the great scheme of things, 24D falls in the pretty harmless section of sprays...it's not even something that I would understand why they would use it...it only kills broadleaf,is utterly ineffective against shrubs and briers and such

they will tell you to not come in contact with it as they don't want you to sue them...the same reason we have to keep the VOLUMES of records for this farm...so when someone has a poison ivy outbreak they can't scream "chemical poisoning" and sue us for damages

they would wear the applicator suit as they are in contact with the undiluted premixes and they might spray all day so for someone around it 8 hours the suit is only sensible

the real crime for me, is not the spraying, but that they commissioned a trespass on your property to do it

I say take down the perimeter fence and buy some goats

Tamara in TN
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Aug. 19, 2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Dance naked along the area where they sprayed like chanting gobbledegook very very loudly. Perhaps with a loudspeaker.

When questioned, tell them since you're an organic farm, you must use natural, spiritual means of banishing the negative energy the chemicals they sprayed have caused. Invite over some fat hairy friends to join in said naked banishment dance.
    Can I be your neigbor? We would totally get along!

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    Can I be your neigbor? We would totally get along!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Here's a bizarre concept:

Talk to your neighbors.

Wait until things start to die off from the spray, then ask them if they could walk the property line with you just to be sure you are all clear on whose land is whose. While you are doing that, kind of subtly point out the dangers of tainted grass etc etc and ask them what they think the best solution might be, and what they might suggest all of you do to prevent this from happening again.

You could say something like, "Your property looks so tidy. I hope my FARM isn't spoiling your view, but we simply can't poison the horse's food supply."

Seriously. Talk to the neighbors. Heck, they may even offer to help pay for a privacy fence!
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

I'd be putting back up a secondary fence where the property line is. It doesn't take too many years before the line moves and they can claim your land because you put the fence somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by nickers@dawn View Post

or throw a few handfuls of clover seeds onto their "lawn". I have been thinking about doing that to my in laws for years.

ps: my husband says to sue them.
    "they had no business on that property and had no business sending the company there either"

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.