The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pseudo-Friday Funny Story

Just had to share this story.

I talked to the girl I sold my up-and-coming event mare to about two weeks ago, and things are going great.

I mentioned that she IS registered with USEF/USEA/USDF for the remainder of the membership year, just as an FYI.

She tells me she's planning to take the mare to a recognized dressage show at the area's biggest venue in November and is going to show SECOND LEVEL.

While the mare is pretty and willing, she's solid at Training (w/t/c, basically) on a good day and can school baby steps of leg yeild, SI/HI at the walk. She's only five, and it was my intention not to rush/push her too quickly (started her myself at just under 4). Judges and trainers all confirmed that she needed TIME and MILES working on the basics and learning how to carry herself correctly before being asked for more challenging work.

I was further entertained when she made the comment that she could 'ride her for three days and take her out at First Level and win, easy', but said that she'd rather take her out at 2nd so she can compete against all the people she used to show against.

It takes all kinds, I tell you. At least she loves the mare!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Oh OH. Tears before bedtime.

You are a far better person than I... I would have been unable to restrain myself from making a snarky/annoyed comment. But then again at 8-1/2 months pregnant I *MIGHT* have been able to get away with it
    Vancouver Equine
    www.vaneq.com

Well when she scores in the 40's just hope she doesn't come crying to you that you misrepresented the horse (which you DID NOT, of course)! LOL!!

Any chance she meant Training Test 2?

Or the second level, as in Intro is the first level?

I'm hoping....
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Well, this is not likely to damage the mare.

Wish her well and then move along.

Not a chance, Anselcat!

I just thought it was a bit comical, especially the way she said it. It was sort of like no big deal... I'll just take her out at 2nd in a few months.

Anyone can pay the money and try to ride the test. Not everyone can do it WELL!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson