The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The USAEQ is requesting members to send an e-mail the task force that is compiling a report for the July meeting in Lexington.

Zone 2 needs a ton of help! Send emails to
    taskforce@usef.org with your thoughts, ideas, and opinions.

The USAEQ is requesting members to send an e-mail the task force that is compiling a report for the July meeting in Lexington.

Zone 2 needs a ton of help! Send emails to
    taskforce@usef.org with your thoughts, ideas, and opinions.

Thanks Silver Bells! I will be sending my email. Three cheers for eliminating the mileage rule! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Every great man has his disciples, and it is always Judas who writes the biography.
    --Oscar Wilde
    The government is best which governs least.
    -Henry David Thoreau

It's Article 214 of the USEF rules. Good luck understanding it though. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

USEF Rule 2

P.S. Don't ask me why the mileage rule is in the rule/chapter on Membership rather than the one on Conduct of Competitions; we on the Rules Reorganization Committee still haven't figured that one out. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/sigh.gif We are, however, hoping to rearrange those kind of things during the second round of rule book reorganization.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Thanks Portia...silly me thought it applied to how many miles a horse could be shipped to a show http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Changes could definitely give others a chance to put on some nice horse shows. There are plenty of managers/facilities out there that have been supressed under current rules.

Before you jump on the "Abolish the Mileage Rule" bandwagon, take a look at some of our other sports and how they are governed. You surely don't see two NFL football games next door to each other and at the same time. Baseball is another example where the games are scheculed by the governing body. All of them, tennis, soccer,swimming, badminton, car racing, etc are all scheduled so as not to conflict with each other. Why? Because they're all looking for that ever elusive "sponsor dollar" to help pay the way. Equestrian sport is still in its infancy in promoting sponsorships. Take those sponsorships away by leaving the field wide open and you can say good-bye to all those little extras that you enjoy so much at a horse show.
    Granted, the mileage rule may need overhauling but for heaven's sake don't abolish it.

i would have to disagree with you doubleeez. all of this is sort of like free-trade (for you econ people). it seems scary for us to get rid of restrictions, but really it is beneficial for everyone. it allows the big companies to grow to attract the "fancy" crowds and then there will be a place for smaller shows to attract the people that don't want to pay for (or for whatever reason) the big show. prices may even fall for competitiors. horse show management will have to start doing more to swoon the competitiors. it will weed out the good from the bad management because no one is going to want to attend a poor quality show if there is a good quality one nearby. i think all of my econ psycho-babble is coming from the econ class i am required to take this semester, so just ignore me.

main point is....it sounds like a big bad scary wolf, but it really isn't. our industry will only improve by competition. isn't that how we as riders evaluate ourselves and improve (for the most part)?

Doubleez, how many competitions out there actually HAVE sponsors and "little extras"? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif It seems that the constant cry around here is that sponsorship hardly exists.

And to the contrary, you often DO see professional sports games next door to each other. Here in the DC area, for example, we have the Redskins and the Ravens, who might be playing games just 30 miles or so away from each other on any given Sunday.

Now, whether or not a city can HAVE a team is decided by the NFL, NHL, MLB, etc. But NYC has three football teams in the general area, and two baseball teams. Chicago has two baseball teams. That's because MLB and the NFL decided the audience was big enough to support two teams. Here in the DC area, the Orioles management is fighting a DC or NOVA baseball team because they fear it will cut into their ticket sales. MLB gets to decide if the audience here is big enough to support two teams.

I don't really think that kind of plan would work with horse shows though. I think of it more like opening up a new restaurant... obviously, if you're opening up a pizza place across the street from another pizza place, if your pizza is considerably better, the other place will suffer. If your pizza is worse, the other place won't lose business to you. If your pizza is equal and there's enough business to sustain two pizza joints, both will survive... if not, one will close. Natural selection at work. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I just don't see sponsorships really factoring into this, since the exhibitors bear most of the costs of showing at this point anyway.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Here's a copy of the email that I got concerning this if anyone wants more info.

Competition Date Approval Task Force
    The Federation's President, David J. O‚Connor, has announced that he has appointed an ad hoc committee, the Competition Date Approval Task Force, to study and recommend possible revisions to the rules and procedures whereby the Federation issues recognition and date approvals to Recognized Competitions. The rules dealing with approval of competition dates and mileage between competitions have been debated for years. Some have said that the current rules protect the quality of competition and the sport has grown under them, while others have said the rules have constrained the growth of equestrian sport. The objective of the Task Force is to evaluate the current rules and to make recommendations to the Board at the July 6th meeting in Lexington, Kentucky. For the Task Force to be fully effective, it must hear from every constituency of equestrian sport--from every Affiliate and discipline, from every level of exhibitor, from event organizers and from participants all across the country. USEF members wishing to express a written opinion are invited to do so by mailing to John Long, CEO, United States Equestrian Federation, 4047 Iron Works Parkway, Lexington, KY, 40511 or by e-mailing to taskforce@usef.org. Please include complete contact information with all correspondence. Anonymous submissions will not be accepted. Additionally, the Task Force will schedule several meetings across the country in the spring to seek further input. The Task Force views its assignment as an opportunity to re-shape equestrian sport and looks forward to hearing from you. The task force is composed of the following members: Robert Ridland, Howard Pike, Robert Higgins, Bill Moroney and John Long.
    The Evil Chem Prof

riverswest Guest

I think there needs to be a mileage rule, but it does need to be revised to include actual miles not radius miles. When a location is 83 radial miles away...but it actually 132 driving miles, something is wrong.

Erin -
    You write about two national teams playing less than 30 miles apart on the same day in the DC area. BUT - one is a footbsll team and the other is a baseball team - two different sports. And franbkly I think the attendance at each would be better if they were not so close together and on the same day although they may attract different spectators.
    And about your pizza analogy. I would have to have my head examined if I chose to open a pizza parlor right across the street from another one, whether it was good or bad. Even if it was bad, it would still drain off some revenue from me, either because of price, loyalty or whatever. Nope, I would choose a place several blocks away where there were no pizza parlors to be able to draw all the pizza eaters in that area.

I've seen a Starbuck's across from a Starbuck's. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif and there are shows that keep people for weeks even though they could go somewhere else. Let us ride where we want to ride.

Be careful what you ask for.
    I'm from Long Island. The mileage rule already notes that Long Island has special circumstances. In my area the number of shows declined a bit last year and it looks like the same thing will happen this year. There is a limited 'population' of horses available to show. There are around 10 multi day 'A' shows, the rest are one day shows. The 3'6' divisions do not fill at the one day shows, they do fill(barely) at the 'A' shows. If the mileage rule was eliminated there could be several shows on the same weekend competing for the same number of exhibitors. One outcome might be that both competing shows would not get enough entries to make a profit and both shows would fold. Another outcome could be that only the multi day 'A' shows survive and the one day shows fold. Once that happens the smaller exhibitor gets hurt. A third outcome is less shows but better quality. That might be better for the exhibitors but what about the Pros who make a living off showing?
    Silver Bells, I'm thinking you are in NJ. Is that correct?
    So yes, the mileage rules need to be revised but local circumstances need to be evaluated and all possible outcomes looked at before a blanket decision gets made.
    Sponsership was mentioned. We do have 2-3 shows that have significant sponsership.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Doubleeez,

However, in your analogy you get the choice in where you locate your pizza place, based on your best professional judgement of the economic outcomes. Right now that is not the situation with the mileage rule in place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doubleeez:
    Erin -
    You write about two national teams playing less than 30 miles apart on the same day in the DC area. BUT - one is a footbsll team and the other is a baseball team - two different <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the Ravens and the Redskins are both Football teams

--- For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

Thanks for the info - I wrote my letter today in support of eliminating the mileage rule.

I agree with Erin and others. Let us show where we want to. The only thing the mileage rule accomplishes is to protect the sub-standard (ie:CRAPPY) A rated shows. We should not have to choose between going to a poorly run show or staying home. Let the show managers compete for my business! Maybe then we would see a little appreciation for our patronage.

Every great man has his disciples, and it is always Judas who writes the biography.
    --Oscar Wilde
    The government is best which governs least.
    -Henry David Thoreau