The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help with fitting a saddle!

I have a hard horse to fit and apparently I am too! I had a Prestige and my horse came up with a very sore back so that got ditched. I am 5'7" with a very long femur. My horse is very wide with large shoulders and not much topline (he has been out of real work for awhile)--Andalusian. I am trying a variety of saddles: Revere which gave me horrible pubic bone bruises but could have just been a wrong twist, Schleese wave which doesn't seem to put my legs in the right position, Albion Platinum which has ginormous knee rolls that I fight everytime I post and an old-school Barnsby Luxus that is okay, but seems like a lot of leather between me and the horse.

I want something that feels more close contact with some knee roll that will fit correctly with my long femur. Any suggestions??

you should contact the people at trumbull mtn, a nice black country monoflap sounds like it might interest you, the flaps tend to be long, the blocks moderate but ergonomic, and very close contact. They come with optional serge panels which as I understand are great for a growing back, softer than leather and the flocking can be moved around easier than leather panels (at least this is my understanding, its the conventional wisdom in sidesaddle land, so I'm extending it here, I may be wrong).

you seem to be liking saddles that iirc have wider twists so you should find black country to be comfortable from that aspect as well.
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

if your horses back is flat the black country vinici or eloquence would be good. If he has more scoop to his back then the Black country eden might be good. But make sure you consider his back shape while moving. my old mare has a very scoopy back (think swayback) while standing, but uses a fairly flat tree as she lifts her back quite a bit while going. If I put a scoopy tree on her it would rock once she was on the bit. So make sure you check fit both static and moving.

Default I second BC

Esp for riders with long legs -- I have a long femur and the 18M BC eden works well for me. PS it's for sale (new horse)...

Stacey
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog

I'm in the market for a new (or used) saddle as well and the BCs are on the top of my list. I'm 5'7 with a long femur. No one in this area have ever heard of them. So obviously no one sells them here either. I've been told by many to go to Trumbull and their customer service is tops

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Choice View Post
    I've been told by many to go to Trumbull and their customer service is tops

The Trumbull gals are terrific (which is why I feel like a heel for thinking of getting a completely different saddle and not one from them - so yes, buy from them to assuage my guilt)
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Need to know why the Prestige (supposedly) didn't fit, and whether it was the/the sole cause of the sore back. It wouldn't be fair to ditch Prestige altogether if you simply has a size (or 2) too small. That's different than if the P was just not the right shape for his back

Trumbull Mnt is a nice place. I ordered couple saddles from them to try as well and it was a pleasant experience.

I had similar problems and looks like Thornhill, Duett, and Black Country worked the best for my girls. I ended up with Thornhill.

I had a Prestige Top Dressage For a horse with a very wide flat back and it fit him fine. I'm 5'6" with a 32" inseam so I have always been more comfortable in saddles more traditionally made for male riders. The only reason I sold it was that I wanted a saddle that got me closer to the horse. So I would not completely dismiss Prestige because of horses size.
    Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
    -Auntie Mame

For sure - mine goes in a 39cm Prestige Top Dressage and I'm SO glad I was able to find it well-used!