The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB advice needed

My friend is looking at this mare and considering buying her. She is 15 h 1, 5 yo, not broken, quite hot temperament in comparison with our WB.

http://www.ss.lv/msg/lv/agriculture/...her/fjlbm.html

When add opens, click on picture to see larger size picture.

Sire: Kahtan
    Dam's sire: Classic Cheer

I have no idea about TBs so would be thankful for your opinions.

PS. She is tiny 50 yo lady and had been with horses her whole life, so her capabilities are OK. But I'm still not sure about this one as a pleasure riding horse prospect. Does she looks OK? She is not usual "of the track" horse as she had never raced. That "not broken"makes me very suspicious as usually we do have all horses at least trained to accept rider, walk and trot under saddle.
    ** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB*** member

Run away. Fast. There are too many horses out there that are MUCH more suitable for your friend, especially if she's just looking for a pleasure horse!
    Whoever said money can't buy happiness never owned a horse.

While I might not say "run away fast" I do agree that your friend can find a more suitable horse. Friends got a 7 yr old Arab mare that hadn't been broken, just used for breeding. While the mare had superb gaits and a beautiful body, they had more trouble than it was worth. I'm not sure they ever managed to show her.

The horse appears quite lovely and there may be many reasons this horse hasn't been ridden but there are so many out there that have been started and are fine, why take the chance.

Whatever your friend does, I wish her luck and 'happy trails'.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The mare is nice looking, isn't she?

If your friend might be interested in sport horse breeding with the TB on the bottom, she's got a quite nice pedigree for sport. I especially like the Nashwan sire line. She's tail female to Ballynash, who is found twice in Laudanum's pedigree close up and was especially liked by Bernard de Courtois. In fact the bottom of the dam's pedigree is one that is highly thought of by the French. Norseman was one of the best sons of Umidwar.

Can't remember if you're in Latvia or Lithuania, but she's got very nice Blood.

Women generally like riding TBs, as they require less work than the classic WB once they are trained, since they tend to be more sensitive. So there would be a retraining period for the rider and trainer, as well as the horse.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Unless your friend has time and money to invest into a very good trainer to start this horse properly, I would probably pass. TBs are wonderful partners, but they do require a sensitive, capable trainer to meet their full potential, and they are perhaps not as forgiving of rider errors as some other breeds.

If she were a fully trained TB with a quiet disposition, I would say it might be a good match. But the lack of training, description as "hot", and your description of your friend lead me to believe that this is probably not a good match.

Thank you, especially vineyridge!

The mare is in Latvia, and we really do not have many TBs here. This one had been imported from UK (or Ireland, no not remember exactly) as a baby and then nobody had been just bothered to train her. (Her story is known very well, one owner all the time). So she is not untrainable or a problem horse.

Hot means that she is just a TB, not our usual Latvian warmblood (they are in general great school horses due to their calm character, and a bit slow, so any TB in comparison looks hot ).

My friend was taking care of her for 2 months while owner was away and fell in love with her. So there is a bond already.

The most informative answer was given by vineyridge - I do not know much about TBs (but I was asked the advice - so I asked here as majority here know TBs very well, at least reading COTH gave me that idea).

Does she looks ok for your eyes (as much as you can judge from a single picture)?
    ** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB*** member

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Judy Wardrope, who is a conformation expert, likes to see the base of support (front legs with a line from the back of the heel up the front legs to where they come out on the spine--at least that's how I remember it) well in front of the withers. She says that makes the horse light in the front. She also makes a big point of the triangle from stifle to point of hip to point of croup, and seems to thing (again I might be misinterpreting) that those angles have great importance in the use of the hind end. I am fuzzy on which kind of triangle is best for which discipline.

Anyone here able to help with that?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire