The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Anyone Looking FORWARD to Going to WEG? - Possible Carpool?

I'm sorry if this has already been done, but I only seem to find the threads that are negative about the WEG. Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that they are soaking the horsey public for all their worth with this event, but I'm still looking forward to going.

I had posted a while ago that my travel partner had backed out and I was wondering what to do with the tickets, but I decided to go by myself and sell the two tickets that were for her. They are one ticket each to Friday's dressage freestyle and Saturday's cross country.

Anyway, I noticed everyone was complaining about the exhorbitant cost of hotels and I wanted to let you know how I got around that. If you don't mind driving, I am flying into the Cincinnati airport and have gotten a room at the Wingate by Wyndham hotel in Erlanger, KY. Round-trip air, (non-stop!) four nights hotel (9/30 to 10/3) and car was $750. I didn't think that was too bad. And it's just about an hour drive from the hotel to the Horse Park. I figure I drive an hour each way to go to the Equine Affaire every fall here in MA, so big deal! That was a package through Travelocity.

I also wanted to see if there was any interest in a car pool since there were so many complaints about the shuttles from the hotels. This way we could split the parking fee. I'm only renting a compact car, so not a TON of room, but enough for four people. It seems there are an awful lot of us going to the Friday Freestyle and Saturday cross country, so that may work out.

Let me know!
    Last edited by Fessy's Mom; Aug. 17, 2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Change Title
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

My carpooling w/friends is all set, otherwise I'd be coordinating with you! I found reasonable deals too- through Expedia, and my group is in a hotel 30 minutes from the Horse Park.

Compared to sporting events in general, theater, etc, I didn't think the ticket prices were all that outrageous, my unhappiness (which I solved on my own) was the way the official web site had housing set up- you could book a hotel room where available OR wait list for something closer, but not both. That struck me as ridiculous. There also isn't good interface on the web site providing the ability to call someone to get help or clarification (well, there might be by now, I haven't checked, but there sure wasn't last spring when I was nailing things down, and of course I wasn't going to buy any tickets unless I was assured of a hotel room somewhere!).

As for the negativity in general on other WEG threads, well, hey, we are horse people, we seem to like to complain! Pay 4-5 figures for a horse, 4 figures for a saddle, 3 to 4 figures for monthly board, then complain about the cost of shoeing and vet care!

I'm VERY excited for WEG. I finally had it on another thread and said something about the people that are complaining about volunteering.

I for one am excited for WEG and excited to volunteer!
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

This Months Garden & Guns did an article about Lexington!

http://gardenandgun.com/article/layers-lexington
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

I'm looking forward to it! We also have a hotel just a little over an hour norh from the park, I just couldn't see paying the prices for the hotels in Lexington. I'm a little worried about parking/getting to the park though, I will admit. I know it will all work out though!!!

Just leave a plenty of extra time to get there. No one knows what the traffic will be like. You can call 511 on your phone, or go to http://511.ky.gov/main.jsf to get updated traffic information. I'd also get a good, detailed map of the area in case you have to detour.

Enjoy. (I'll be one of those staying far, far away.)

If I had unlimited funds I'd be thrilled to go and before our school system changed it's schedule back my DD and I could have gone, but I already know from past experience with Disney properties and the Fair that I will not be able to handle walking for a mile to get to the park, "doing" the park all day and then walking for a mile back. I'm perfectly healthy looking and can hike long distances but for some reason this type of venue sets off ghastly migraines, bad enough that we pay the extra for Disney properties on the monorail.

I could easily park at my work and take the bus on the corner- if they had one stopping there - which I just.don't.think they will. It seems silly to ride back to downtown and transfer, although it could be done if they have schedules posted, they do have a pretty good long shuttle route for Keeneland races, if the Horse Park shuttle stops in the same way, up and down Newtown, it'll be da bomb, but I'll bet I end up having to take a $20 taxi ride back to my work parking lot because my connection will have stopped running for the day. BTW Lex does have a lot of cabs, Wildcat, Bluegrass and a couple of others, roughly $25 from the airport to Paris Pike/New Circle intersection, just watch out becasue a lot of the drivers smoke and seen to think rolling the windows down is good enough . I've seen a cab in Georgetown also, called, appropriately enough, Georgetown cab.

I75 southbound is two and three lanes wide, limit 70 average 75, and I have seen it at a dead stop on summer Friday afternoons when the Ohians are fleeing town for the country, around mm 133, which is the last grade the trucks have to pull before Lex, but from my CA eyes it's smooth sailing and really nice. Does have some alligatoring in the center lanes with a depression that will grab your tire but you can see it easily. The southbound exit 120 (Horse Park) has been reconfigured with nice long off ramp and a set of stop lights so making the left and getting on to Ironworks should be easy peasy. It's just a taste creepy without the light as people come zipping over the freeway bridge fast, there's a truck stop there and tractor trailers and horse trailers can't move fast enough to get out of the way.

My issue is I completely don't want to have to figure out how to get there and park with all the changes- that sort of thing isn't my strong suit or DH's - or the long walk - now my MIL seems to have an internal homing device for yard sales and such and never has a problem but she NEEDS the handicap parking and bus, it's obvious and no one ever challenges her. But as I said I am ordinarily quite healthy, it's just something about theme parks and crowds and I am down for the count. Horseshows used to knock me out when I was younger, nowadays the trainer does the 14 hour days and we show up and can leave.

Now, I drive southbound I75 to get to work in the afternoon (shift worker) and have never even noticed Rolex or Breyerfest or Pony Finals as a blip in the radar traffic wise, except that some fool in a dually is doing 65 right before exit 120 coming back to the park from lunch in G'town and I have to duck behind him or cut in front of him to get off.

I don't think it will be that bad. October is a 50/50 for Fall weather or still hot so bring that water bottle and good shoes.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Default volunteering

I finally had it on another thread and said something about the people that are complaining about volunteering.

I for one am excited for WEG and excited to volunteer!
    Well, I might get excited about volunteering once I get my work schedule. As it is, every few days I have to go into my "account" and mark yet another day that I'm not available. Tough to tell folks at work that I can't do a program that day because I "might" be volunteering at WEG.
    Last edited by Holly Jeanne; Aug. 20, 2010 at 08:30 AM.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    Well, I might get excited about volunteering once I get my work schedule. As it is, every few days I have to do into my "account" and mark yet another day that I'm not available. Tough to tell folks at work that I can't do a program that day because I "might" be volunteering at WEG.
    I've lucked out as my Masters Thesis is due right before WEG. No job so far so I am wide open for WEG. Though I just got an e-mail that I might have some service at the Quarantine Facility in Cincy from the 16th on. We shall see!