The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question WEG Parking Questions

A friend and I have tix for the 4 eventing days. We are staying at a VERY GENEROUS friend's farm in Versailles.

My plan had been to park at that "Center" where they were going to run shuttles from, but that was cancelled less than 24 hours after I bought the tickets. GEEZ!

So, I'm in a quandary as to other options. Can anyone help clarify some things, please? Maybe a Lexingtonian?

How big would the firedrill be to take the bus from downtown? Coming from Versailles to downtown to KHP? Does anyone know how often they are going to run? Will the parking downtown be a fiasco as well?

Obviously, I'm not staying at one of the group hotels, but can I still buy shuttle passes from them? Particularly, if we have other friends staying at one -- could I have my friends there buy tickets for us as well?

What does anyone know about the farm next door to the KHP where they are now parking for $20/day? Are they running shuttles from there to the KHP? Or, how big a hike is that going to be?

I'm leaning towards the $20 parking next door, coming from "the other side" of Iron Works, instead of from I-75.

I have been to Rolex many times, and knowing what XC day is like then, I shudder to think...... I really wish I had $400 to blow -- I'd just buy the $100/day parking and "be done with it".

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

From their website, it appears the farm next door will only have shuttles for handicapped patrons. Be prepared to walk 1/4 to 1/2 mile. I really wonder what will happen if it rains...it is a field.

Good luck, I'm staying far, far away.

From speaking to some people in Midway they are trying to get a shuttle organized leaving from the gas station off the highway in Midway. Not sure if it will go through or not.
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I'd forget the shuttle passes. They aren't worth what you pay, even if you can get them without staying at a WEG hotel. The price has increased from $5 to $10, and all you get is one roundtrip to and from your hotel. (There are specific shuttle routes, and your pass is only for that one route, apparently.) I'd also forget trying to park unless you can fork out the $100 per day for premium parking, plus $50 per day in handling fees to Ticketmaster.

Seems to me that your best and cheapest bet, since you're coming from Versailles, would be the Lex Trans shuttle at $2.00 per round trip.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Default On yer bike!

From the latest PR release on transportation:

Option 4: Lextran Shuttle from downtown Lexington ($2 roundtrip).

Option 5: Trying to be green? Want to get in some exercise? Take the scenic nine-mile Legacy Trail starting in downtown Lexington and ending at the Kentucky Horse Park. Complete with bicycle parking, it is one of the cheapest ways to get to the Park!

Keep in mind that Lextran are planning on 1000 passengers per day using their service. Secondly I have seen no mention anywhere about bicycle storage at the Kentucky Horse Park let alone the cost!

I am watching this unfolding extravaganza from a safe distance, being interested in the management complexities of such affairs.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

Default Green? Yeah, right!

If I rode a bike 9 miles, I'D BE GREEN for sure!

On one of the site pages, it said there would be more specifics for LexTran on July 6th...then that was changed to "later". Par for the course. Is it too much to ask for a schedule?

I've looked at Herald-Leader articles, but nothing noteworthy there. It would be nice to know things like if there will be "express lanes" for busses and shuttles to the park entrance.

On the other hand, I'm considering driving a route to avoid all the town traffic of New Circle, Newton....from Versailles, maybe come in "from the other side" via Midway Rd to I-64 etc. and just park the $20 deal. But, I'm not familiar with Midway Rd -- is it a pretty good thoroughfare?
    -- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ezmissg View Post
    If I rode a bike 9 miles, I'D BE GREEN for sure!

On one of the site pages, it said there would be more specifics for LexTran on July 6th...then that was changed to "later". Par for the course. Is it too much to ask for a schedule?

I've looked at Herald-Leader articles, but nothing noteworthy there. It would be nice to know things like if there will be "express lanes" for busses and shuttles to the park entrance.

On the other hand, I'm considering driving a route to avoid all the town traffic of New Circle, Newton....from Versailles, maybe come in "from the other side" via Midway Rd to I-64 etc. and just park the $20 deal. But, I'm not familiar with Midway Rd -- is it a pretty good thoroughfare?

Midway road isn't bad. You could take Midway Road go over I-64 and follow the road (you'll past Saddles & Sheets, Wintergreen Stallion Station) then pass a neighborhood the road will T. Take a Right at the T and follow that road (it's a back road so its hilly) to where it intersects with a divided highway. Go straight through the divided Highway and keep driving, follow that street to the end and then bear right at the end. That is Georgetown road, at the next light take a left and you are on Iron Works.

That might be a quicker way to avoid any backups on the highway. :-) Can you tell I used to live in Midway & that is the route I took many times to the HP? :-)
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by SmplySweet1021 View Post
    Midway road isn't bad. You could take Midway Road go over I-64 and follow the road (you'll past Saddles & Sheets, Wintergreen Stallion Station) then pass a neighborhood the road will T. Take a Right at the T and follow that road (it's a back road so its hilly) to where it intersects with a divided highway. Go straight through the divided Highway and keep driving, follow that street to the end and then bear right at the end. That is Georgetown road, at the next light take a left and you are on Iron Works.

That might be a quicker way to avoid any backups on the highway. :-) Can you tell I used to live in Midway & that is the route I took many times to the HP? :-)
    You are certainly on my wavelength. I've been studying maps and was looking at that, or getting on I-64 to Paynes Depot to Iron Works. Just not familiar enough with the roads to know what the traffic flow might be. Do you think this Midway route would be better than dealing with the customary roads through town? I would guess so, but just don't know....

THANKS SO MUCH!
    -- Winston Churchill

HOW? can they expect to sell tickets if there are no firm plans in place for being able to get TO THE PARK?? and add !!

The 'changes' and the 'laters' are not sufficient. They said at the beginning that they were going to provide large off-site parking with shuttles!! We need a 'pissed' icon!

And, these fancy people with all the money to be able to afford multi-day tickets are not getting any kind of shuttle from the fields?? What about older folks, me included - it's a huge day of walking. And if I was a vendor I'd be multi-pissed b/c no one is going to want to carry all that way either.

I am not going to buy one day tickets for cross country and marathon - drive 3 hrs in the wee hours to get there; and add the time to be able to park, shuttle, and get in on time for the starts if there is no firm plan for allowing us to even dream of doing this. It just all sounds like too much effort and the probability of getting there, getting stuck, and then missing the whole show that day. Hardly worth the costs and the energy, not to speak of the disappointment, to even bother to try.
    Last edited by pony grandma; Aug. 15, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
    Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

pony grandma, you don't know how much I agree with you. I wish Lexington and Kentucky had used some of their stimulus money to build a trolley line to the Park as part of the infra-structure upgrades.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Viney!! a 9 mile bike path is not enough answer for me, and it is a great start. And they KNOW that they have a problem -- every year at Rolex it can take 1-2 hrs to park and walk in on Sat. No way do I use the I-75 approach! And I'm not telling my secret.

But Yes I agree they need a system in place for the KHP!!

Come on think about it! The hike in from the field parking and I am supposing that they are not talking about the field south of the campgrounds - then the hike all the way down to the new indoor arena for those days!! Maybe carry in A water bottle!! and be held captive for the concessions for food.

Are they talking about the soccer fields across the road? or the other neighboring farms? And $20?

AND I've seen promotions for "take the family to WEG!" Now that's doable? Hike those little whiners in all that way, or pack them in on your back, and see how much fun you'll be having all day! and you can't even threathen them with taking them "back to the car"
    Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Quote Originally Posted by ezmissg View Post
    You are certainly on my wavelength. I've been studying maps and was looking at that, or getting on I-64 to Paynes Depot to Iron Works. Just not familiar enough with the roads to know what the traffic flow might be. Do you think this Midway route would be better than dealing with the customary roads through town? I would guess so, but just don't know....

THANKS SO MUCH!
    When I used to drive it last summer there were hardly any cars on the road except the occasional local traffic. When you head back and follow the same route you can easily miss the left turn to get onto Midway Road though. It is on a hill and then all of a sudden there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    Maybe carry in A water bottle!!
    Hate to be a wet blanket, but I'm thinking that you might not be able to bring in any water. It's my guess they are treating this like the Olympics and the security will be pretty tight.

Edited to add: Per this thread by Vineyridge http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...=1#post5036302 , "beverages in plastic bottles will be allowed." Phew!

For those thinking of taking the shuttle from downtown Lexington... there may be parking problems downtown. If the parking garages are even open, i would think they would be gouging people to park in them.

Nothing looks especially appealing at the moment.

Did you hear about the local who was planning to open his land for "luxury motorhome" parking? He got shut down by the city, though I have to wonder if it wasn't because he would be competing with University of Kentucky-owned Spindletop Hall for RV parking.

Spindletop Hall:
    http://www.kentucky.com/2010/05/31/1...st-luxury.html

Private owner:
    http://www.kentucky.com/2010/07/31/1...rk-during.html
    Last edited by hitchinmygetalong; Aug. 16, 2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    pony grandma, you don't know how much I agree with you. I wish Lexington and Kentucky had used some of their stimulus money to build a trolley line to the Park as part of the infra-structure upgrades.
    Hear hear!

As I recall they were going to lease the entire fleet of school busses in my county to provide the shuttle service from Citation, and yes, we were going to get two weeks off so there was a big pool of potential volunteers, but the sales just didn't justify it and now they have no plan at all, or some strange and confusing one that I can't figure out.

There just isn't a tradition of public transit here, it's a very rural state, so even though there is rail passing within a mile of the KHP it's a freight line and nobody here probably ever thought of negotiating a deal with the railroad. Mind you the local prison escapees use the rail to get away all the time!

And for some reason the infrastructure upgrades got completed in some odd order/not really well thought out. The first upgrade I recallwas a widening and an addition to the southbound lanes of I75 leading into Lexington. They finally put the name of the road on the freeway sign, hallelujah! Used to be all they had was 922. My MIL used to get lost all the time because I'd forget to say 922.
    Unfortunately this is still an uncontrolled intersection when it hits Newtown so your guess is as good as mine how far the traffic will back up onto the freeway.
    Payne's Depot Road was widened to four nice lanes but gets very little traffic, while Georgetown Rd (25) stalled out over an argument between moving parts of the cemetary or the historical stone wall on the other side, and so far has seen zero improvement - two lanes, no shoulders, no turn lanes and plenty of head on accidents with fatalities. When Newtown Pike north of I75/64 was improved it remained two lanes, although it got straightened some and now has shoulders. Gee.

And downtown is a mess, lots of the locals blame WEG and see nothing good coming from it.

I just hope it all works out. This is a lovely place and I hope all the visitors enjoy their stay and have a safe visit.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I have a feeling this is going to be a total cluster.

We have the shuttle passes for friday and saturday, that's a bummer that it's only good for one roundtrip. We'll have to pay for parking on sunday because we need to drive back that day.

We're driving up thursday afternoon from Raleigh and going to stop on the way overnight. Anyone know of a town that has hotels that's about an hour away that's outside the range of price gouging? We'd be coming 64 West.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshach View Post
    I have a feeling this is going to be a total cluster.

We have the shuttle passes for friday and saturday, that's a bummer that it's only good for one roundtrip. We'll have to pay for parking on sunday because we need to drive back that day.

We're driving up thursday afternoon from Raleigh and going to stop on the way overnight. Anyone know of a town that has hotels that's about an hour away that's outside the range of price gouging? We'd be coming 64 West.
    Maybe Morehead or Mount Sterling. You might be able to check Winchester though it is closer to Lexington so I'm not sure if they jacked their prices up or not.

thanks, SmplySweet1021! I will check that out.

Default cross post from eventing thread

I did find out where the 'nearby farm field' parking will be. At Spy Coast Farm on the corner of Ironworks and Newtown Rd. Now before you despair about the hike from Newtown Rd (the only shuttle service is strictly for handicapped) they do have a back gate entrance to the far east end of the park that I am supposing will be the walk-in access. It's where the old polo fields are located, past the campground.

I am 'guessing' that they won't be using their private gate on Newtown Rd, that the parking will be coming in off of the Ironworks gate. That entrance is a one lane road so it will creep to get in and out.

The outside parking/shuttle service for those not staying at area hotels is confusing b/c there will also be limited spaces downtown to park and ride. Who wants to drive in for hours and not know exactly what is possible! What happened to the initial plan for the off-site public shuttles?

. . . What happened to the initial plan for the off-site public shuttles?
    Dropped about two or three months ago when ticket sales were assessed. The plan had been to lease a fleet of school busses from a nearby county that traditionally has an October vaca week (and would have extended that this year).

This has not been the most transparent of situations, the public media do not do regular updates, or perhaps they aren't available in the first place.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I did find out where the 'nearby farm field' parking will be. At Spy Coast Farm on the corner of Ironworks and Newtown Rd.
    Spy Coast Farm property, but not "on the corner of Ironworks and Newtown"

see the other thread...