The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default dry lips on horses? lip balm...

groomin away my horse tonight, and noticed her lips were dry, cracked and flaking off! Right around the corners of her mouth. (not bleeding or anything, far from it! but not that smooth horsey muzzle)

has anybody seen this before in their horse?

i've noticed when we ride that she doesnt really salivate, shes a 5yo mare, working in an eggbutt snaffle... my first thought is to change the bit (the eggbutt is quite fat) and maybe a regular snaffle will help her out.

In any case... i put on her 'lip gloss' tonight (vaseline ) and like the princess this mare is, she LOVED it! ears perked and rubbing her mouth onto the vaseline in my hand hahaha must've felt good!

So... i even put a little dab on the sides of her bit, just to be generous i guess. It didn't bother her, so i'll keep it up for now.

Any other thoughts? Is there a sparkley horsey lip gloss? like the pony paints for their feet
    Carol and Princess Dewi

**~Doccer'sDressage~**

I think sparkly is "out" but since she is a mare she might appreciate something with a little tint although for horses that might mean green! kidding aside, no I've never had a horse with chapped lips but it sounds like she enjoyed the lip gloss treatment. Does she have a white muzzle? Could she be flaking from sunburn?

You need Bit Butter. It smells divine!! http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...e-_-NA-_-17742

I use aquaphor for my chapped lips- it's cheap and comes in big containers, no taste or smell. Absorbs better than vaseline.
    -Grace

I used Neosporin Lip Treatment (or something like that, it was a human product) on mysteriously chapped horsey lips before... don't know what caused the chapping though, never happened again either.

My trainer had a mare that got chapped lips when she started consistently working on the bit for upper level eventing. She got bit guards and her own tube of Chapstick. lol
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

lmao @ tinted gloss! what exactly goes with a chestnut paint lol... something a little darker i'd say (like an exotic beauty haha)

bit butter sounds fun!! is it legal in shows (dressage and x-country)??

We've just started being on the bit this year, so maybe its like the horse you know of katie...

thanks for the help y'all
    Carol and Princess Dewi

**~Doccer'sDressage~**

I use carmex but the neosporin lip balm sounds good too.

ETA coconut oil is good also and you can buy a huge container at the grocery store.

a thin rub of Corona would do, and it's likely already in the barn.

My big gelding would get chapped lips, just as you described, in the summer. I rode him in a happy mouth and I think the plastic bit didn't help matters. I would put some vaseline in the corners of his mouth every day and just before bridling, and that helped a lot.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince