The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need some tips

I am working with a greenie who's becoming more and more balanced every day. Nice trot, improved 100%. Good transitions. Feels like a much older schooled horse now. But one problem. Horse's neck is super stiff. I do stretches with horse in the ground and in the saddle. Tried horsie in halter and have even worse problems. Stiffness to bend not in body but in neck is a slight problem in turning, but masked by the fact.
    At this stage horse is on the bit with light contact, no tension. No problems with transitions, etc. I don't see a need for side reins or anything. Very balanced.
    First horse i've met with a neck like cardboard. And first one to suck at carrot stretches, and bending the neck. I do see some reluctance to bend on lungeline. I would love to see what horse would do in roundpen but I don't have access to one even for a day.
    FYI this is an appendix 4yr old. One side of bend is worse than the other. The good side and good way pretty much we have the leg yields and good circles, going that way and decent bend. Horse is also willing to stretch more on that side.

Chiropractor? That would be my first go-to with those S/S (signs/symptoms) when it is happening both on the ground and u/s if the horse is otherwise relaxed. Body worker or reputable chiro/MT of some sorts.

Otherwise/then work your way up the dressage scale as you seem to already be doing, with a focus on stretching out that one (hollow) side!

Have a vet out. He seems young to have arthritis or something, but you never know, maybe he had an injury as a baby. Vet can tell you if it's tight muscles that just need massage and stretching, or if it's in the joints or elsewhere and what to do. We have a horse, although much older than yours, that has such severe arthritis in the joints in his neck that he's had to have them injected and he has very limited range of motion compared to a normal horse. I had another horse start refusing the bend (quite dramatically) and the vet found he was all locked up right behind the poll, like when you wake up with a stiff neck, and ended up needing those muscles injected, then some bute and 2 weeks of robaxin! You just never know until you have a vet look.
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

If you rule out the physical possibilities, it's also very likely this is just a sign of the breed. My quarter horses were all very stiff, and could learn to stretch and improve a LOT, but were never bendy in the neck. Now that I own a horse I call Gumby Neck, it's a very different experience!

If it's not a physical problem, I think you're on the right track going as you are.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightride View Post
    I am working with a greenie who's becoming more and more balanced every day. Nice trot, improved 100%. Good transitions. Feels like a much older schooled horse now. But one problem. Horse's neck is super stiff. I do stretches with horse in the ground and in the saddle. Tried horsie in halter and have even worse problems. Stiffness to bend not in body but in neck is a slight problem in turning, but masked by the fact.
    At this stage horse is on the bit with light contact, no tension. No problems with transitions, etc. I don't see a need for side reins or anything. Very balanced.
    First horse i've met with a neck like cardboard. And first one to suck at carrot stretches, and bending the neck. I do see some reluctance to bend on lungeline. I would love to see what horse would do in roundpen but I don't have access to one even for a day.
    FYI this is an appendix 4yr old. One side of bend is worse than the other. The good side and good way pretty much we have the leg yields and good circles, going that way and decent bend. Horse is also willing to stretch more on that side.
    common problem, the horse is four, and you think hes balanced when hes not
    plus look at your self when people rde horses they are so quick to blame the horse when in truth its them

if you ride as you write then the horse is going to adavde and be stiff on one side, why becuase one is stronger on the side they write on ie bet its the right hand side and hes stiff on the left hand side as most people are right handed

so give as in you give on your strongest side- then it will even the horse up

1- also lok at you again are you sitting central to the horse if one is strong on the right then more often than not its your legs as well as your hands and if you were to give you saddle to a sadlder as in mastercraftmen they would be able to tell just by looking at your saddle from underneath and on top,

this would then paly apart in the horses advassion to one side, as hes not balanced due to him being young so is compensating for that extra weight on that side , so off or stiff

so go to a saddle get your saddle checked and make sure it fits the horse and you
    #2nd check your stirrups are the correct lenght as this will effect your position and the horse way of going
    look here page one on how to

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=178116

then learn how to use the half halt stride which is also explained on page one if you have a trianer ask her to show you and explain what that does if she cannot do that then change your trianer as they are worth it spending all that money when they dont know one off the baisc foundations of movement
    whilse your at page one link2 read about hands and how that effect your horses way of going

and lasty remebr one thing this horse is green as a pea and is learning by you the rider before that he knew nothing so any problems good or bad are comming from the uman that teaching him/her and the horse is only doing what your asking

so often like i said its a common problem and like i said people are so quick to judeg the horse and think tis them, this horse is jsut starting out so of course hes not balanced , but hes having a darn good try but he wont bend unless you start giving with your hands and leg

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    common problem, the horse is four, and you think hes balanced when hes not
    plus look at your self when people rde horses they are so quick to blame the horse when in truth its them

if you ride as you write then the horse is going to adavde and be stiff on one side, why becuase one is stronger on the side they write on ie bet its the right hand side and hes stiff on the left hand side as most people are right handed

so give as in you give on your strongest side- then it will even the horse up

1- also lok at you again are you sitting central to the horse if one is strong on the right then more often than not its your legs as well as your hands and if you were to give you saddle to a sadlder as in mastercraftmen they would be able to tell just by looking at your saddle from underneath and on top,

this would then paly apart in the horses advassion to one side, as hes not balanced due to him being young so is compensating for that extra weight on that side , so off or stiff

so go to a saddle get your saddle checked and make sure it fits the horse and you
    #2nd check your stirrups are the correct lenght as this will effect your position and the horse way of going
    look here page one on how to

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=178116

then learn how to use the half halt stride which is also explained on page one if you have a trianer ask her to show you and explain what that does if she cannot do that then change your trianer as they are worth it spending all that money when they dont know one off the baisc foundations of movement
    whilse your at page one link2 read about hands and how that effect your horses way of going

and lasty remebr one thing this horse is green as a pea and is learning by you the rider before that he knew nothing so any problems good or bad are comming from the uman that teaching him/her and the horse is only doing what your asking

so often like i said its a common problem and like i said people are so quick to judeg the horse and think tis them, this horse is jsut starting out so of course hes not balanced , but hes having a darn good try but he wont bend unless you start giving with your hands and leg
    This horse bend very well throughout the body, just not the neck. Problem is horse will not bend the neck past a certain point on one side. Other side is much better but not as ideal bendy as I would want it to be.
    Horse is not green as a pea, this is why this is a concern. Horse is at solid training but a hard ride because of this
    Would appreciate more imput if you've had a similar problem. Agree with getting chiro out.

P.S. Tried everything in halter, sidepull, bareback, etc. Horse does have one very very bad side(clockwise).
    Not a rider issue because horse has a problem stretching neck to the right on the ground.

Sounds like a physical isssue right? Have you had something similar that turned out to be physical or just unflexible horse?

Let us know how the chiro goes, I am eager to hear if that is it? Or of course if you find some other reason!

The only times I have had a horse with those S/S (esp as you describe further in-depth) was when it was a chiro issue; my own neck does the same thing when I need to visit the chiro. The only 'similar' issue was with my main guy being heavier on the left rein, on the left side - turns out it was all me though and being uncentered, possibly because of my own need at the time for a chiro! He was otherwise pretty flexible to either side though. Obviously horses will always be a little stiffer to one side than the other, however yours sounds like a little more than the horse simply being a little hollow on one side.

I forgot to mention one thing. This horse has had an injury 6 months ago. His left hind. It's totally healed up according the several vet checks.
    The bad way is going clockwise. Could the old injury be a cause of the problem undersaddle or on the lunge? Perhaps loss of use of some muscles and possibly just stiffness on the joint too?
    After reading an article, I was thinking maybe there's some weakness here makes it harder to go this way.

P.S. Still considering neck bend as a different issue but this possibly combined with the old injury is probably making the bad way issue worse right?
    Will have a different vet's opinion on old injury. Can't believe the regular vet hasn't caught anything going on.