The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alternative diagnosis. :)

My poor pony. She has an itchy behind and has been rubbing her tail (like many other horses here this summer). Last night I was, once again, fretting over her poor tail and asking the BO if we should call the vet to look at the 'swelling' on her behind. The BO looked at me, looked at the pony, and looked back at me. "You can call the vet if you want, but she's just FAT. " Lol. Thank goodness for no-nonsense BOs!
    Last edited by Come Shine; Aug. 18, 2010 at 02:55 PM.

Well, yeah...but an itchy tail is a sign of something needing attention (though not necessarily the vet, always)... needing worming, or allergic reaction to flies, or for geldings sometimes a sign of a sheath needing cleaning...

Clean the udder and all around the rear end. Worm the horse. Then see if you've still got a problem.

If you're lucky, you will have a fat horse with a pretty tail

Pony is wormed, udder is cleaned. The part of her butt that I was worried about being swollen, isn't. It's just a regular part of being a fat pony. I'm putting topical creams on her dock and using zinc oxide on her behind (because I feel like I should be doing something).

Rubbing tail raw? I owned a mare for 29 years that was sensitive to those nasty little east coast gnats/no see ums. Every summer, rubbed tail and main and belly. I can tell you a zillion different things (including the zinc oxide) that were applied topically or internally.

Bottom line for her was, just itchy all summer, sometimes to the point of blood. I did what I could and mostly rationalized that she might be uncomfortable but it wasn't affecting her eating habits, so how bad could it really be? Sounds like yours could be in the same boat.