The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vasomotor Rhinitis and the Barn

I've pretty much always had non-allergic vasomotor rhinitis (basically all the allergy symptoms without an actual allergic reaction). I've been able to manage it with Flonase and Singulair, but this year it is just killing me.

My triggers (in the barn at least) are hay, dust and bedding. I always wear a dust mask when I'm moving hay or bedding, and I spray down with water before I sweep.

For some reason, none of this is working anymore. No matter what I do, I get the whole cascade of runny nose, swollen nasal passages, post-nasal drip, sore throat. I have horses at home, so avoidance isn't really an option. Are there other things I'm not thinking of that may help?

Does anyone else share my pain?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Netti Pot, best thing ever

Neti pot, definitely - use it faithfully after you've been to the barn.

I have the same problem as you, but mine has escalated to pneumonia on two occasions, so I am cautious about dust now...

From my perspective, one tip I can give you is - don't be afraid to look like a dork! Wear your dust mask while you're grooming - you wouldn't believe how much dust you breathe in while grooming.

Ditto for aisle sweeping, stall picking - and depending on the dustiness of your arena - riding as well.

If you have time and opportunity, make sure your arena is watered before riding. This, for you...AND your horse's well being.

Bood luck!!

The more affordable edge of Eventing Heaven, VA

I broke down and started using a Nedi-pot, too. Best thing ever, it has really helped with my allergies this year, and they have been BAD. Between hay and dust, the barn is killer. I've had allergies cause bronchitis at least once nearly every year since I moved to VA, and I have not had a problem so far, and I'm pretty well into my personal allergy season.
    Leap, and the net will appear - A Salty Piece of Land, Jimmy Buffett

Hmm, I've never used the Neti pot. I am VERY faithful about the mask whenever I handle anything that might become airborne (vacuuming, sweeping, dumping bedding, etc). I also try to take a shower as soon as I'm done in the barn (it's amazing the amount of crap that winds up in your hair!!)

Did a Google search and found that Astelin is also labeled for VMR. Anyone used it?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Just wanted to add that while lots of people have tremendous success with the neti pot, some don't. I'm one. Every time I try to use one, I get a severe sinus infection.

Please don't let my lack of success keep you from trying, though--many people DO use them and get relief! I'm just saying be aware that you might be like me.

OK, shutting up now.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Coming back to update this thread--I got a script for Astelin from my doctor, and this stuff works great!

The bad news is that it is horribly bitter. If you get the slightest amount in your mouth, you will taste it for hours. So I've learned to adapt: I only do about a half squirt in each nostril while holding a dampened tissue under my nose. Do NOT inhale through your nose!!

If you can avoid the bitter taste, Astelin absolutely rocks the house. I feel like a million bucks today, even after sweeping out the barn, dragging the ring and mowing the lawn.

That's great! I had a really mediocre response to astelin, but I do well with either rhinocort or flonase. I've also invested in a good shop vac (by Fein) with a hepa filter bag and I either brush outside or vacuum only. (No more grooming indoors) This has helped me a lot.

Any chance you have a deviated septum? Symptoms can be similar. For years we thought my son just had bad allergies. Nope, he doesn't. He's having surgery to correct it this week.
    It's 2016. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Sing Mia Song, is the Astelin continuing to work for you? I used it some time ago and have just recently gone back on it to help with my poor sinuses this year!

It's actually the indoor air quality at my work that irritates my sinuses, but doing chores in the barn after work makes it worse! I think the Astelin does help the sinus headaches/congestion and may be able to tell more once I've used it for longer. Hope it's still working for you!

Some people like Atrovent/ipratropium spray for vasomotor rhinitis.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Any chance you have a deviated septum? Symptoms can be similar. For years we thought my son just had bad allergies. Nope, he doesn't. He's having surgery to correct it this week.
    I did--already fixed. Twice. A hoof to the face took care of the first fixing.

Astelin is still working, but it's only been a few weeks. I sure hope it continues to work. Boy, it sure is bitter, though.

I'm still continuing to use the breathing mask when I sweep/mow/work with hay. No point in tempting the fates.

SMS- I have the same thing, and am maintained on basically the same meds minus the Singluair . One thing I noticed on myself is that the generic Flonase did not work for me nearly as well as the pioneer did. So, I asked to switch to Veramyst, which has helped a lot.

Just checking that you have Astelin and not Astepro, right? They are the same API but Astepro is a much higher concentration and tastes awful! Just thought I would mention that in case you could try the lower concentration.

Another thing that helps me, especially if I'm in an indoor a lot or somewhere with lots of dust, is using a fine mist saline solution and blowing my nose after spraying that. The ones that are really fine (the ones that come in pressurized cans) are much easier for me to tolerate, and I just blow my nose afterwards and it really helps remove the gunk from my nasal passages.

I've heard GREAT things about Astepro. Never used it myself, but the people I know who do swear by it. (They do say that it tastes bad, but that it's worth it.)