The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Add oil to diet?

When you folks say you add oil to the horse's feed to boost calories, what kind of oil are you talking about and the name and brand?

Also, searched and can't come up with anything, did I hear a whisper on the wind something about soy oil or soy products some horses have trouble with and if so what kind of trouble and what's the deal with that - allergy or something? K'thx.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I buy it in 5-gallon jugs at the feed store. It's soybean oil, but my horses have never had any trouble with it. $31 for 5 gallons is a LOT cheaper than buying it at the grocery store where it's almost $2 for 48 ounces.

Really? Vegetable oil at walmart for a gallon (I believe) is some where around $5.98 a gallon.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

I haven't priced it in a while, and I know it's gone up, but back when I was using oil, $14 for 4 gallons at Sam's was the deal. I'm SURE it's more than that now, but I'd still bet it's cheaper than Walmart or grocery stores.

As to what kind - unless you're REALLY concerned about Omega 6 (which most people just don't need to be), then whatever fits your wallet and your horse's taste is just fine. It's all roughly 2000 calories per cup. Veggie (which is often soybean) oil is usually the cheapest and that's what Sam's has.

You DO need to make sure it's the oil without anti-foaming agents. Sam's has both kinds, with the kinds with the a-f agents being used for fryers most often.

Issues with feeding soy are usually allergic reactions to protiens. Oil is all fats and so the "soy issues" should not be a problem. Most oil labeled "vegetable oil" is soy oil. I fed it for years. I use Canola now because it does not gel in the winter at my local temperatures, whereas soy and corn oil will gel when it gets cold.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

What are the problems which crop up with soy when they do crop up? So I can buy any kind of oil and its all good to go? Cool.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    What are the problems which crop up with soy when they do crop up?
    If a problem is going to crop up, it tends to do so pretty quickly IME - a few days if the reaction is going to be to get "hot", to a few weeks if the reaction is going to be just developing fat pads around the shoulders, tailhead, etc.

So I can buy any kind of oil and its all good to go? Cool.
    Yep

As far as I'm aware Canola oil is preferable to sunflower oil, because of the omega 3/omega 6 balance. I'm not sure how it compares to soy oil, but soy oil is high in saturated fat which I'd guess is as bad for horses as it is for humans.

I feed just under 2 cups of canola oil per day, and it has had a huge effect on my boy's general condition.

Horses do not have cholesterol issues. You cannot extrapolate between humans and horses.

according to this
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/fatsoils.htm
    soy oil is 14% saturated fat, compared to 7% canola and 10% sunflower.

But it doesn't matter in terms of horses.

I always bought whatever was cheapest, veg oil or corn oil usually.

I'm glad to not be feeding oil anymore, it was messy and expensive. Ad lib forage was all my mare needed, and now she's a chub.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

As to what kind - unless you're REALLY concerned about Omega 6 (which most people just don't need to be), then whatever fits your wallet and your horse's taste is just fine.
    I'm surprised with this statement as it goes counter to what I was hearing at a conference earlier this year. It seemed that the leading equine nutrition researchers in the room were concerned about the omega fatty acid balance in equine diets and were at the least no longer recommending the use of corn oil in formulated feeds as a fat source.

Clair
    www.summit-equine.com

If there is some new(er) information showing that it's indeed harmful to add extra O6 to the diet, I would truly love to see it I haven't seen anything other than "they don't need it, but since there no proof of it causing harm, other than anecdotal evidence of oil making *some* arthritic horses worse, it's not a "don't do" type of deal".

Do you recall more of what they were saying? I'm ALL ears!

The comments I heard really were just comments during a brief discussion after a presentation. There is research pointing to the fact that feeding too much O6 may not be beneficial. Some of the research is briefly mentioned here

http://www.ker.com/library/PopularPr...s-08-03-31.pdf

Corn oil appears to be impacting the level of EPA in red blood cells which could have potentially negative effects especially for bleeders. The other way of looking at it are studies that have shown the benefit of increasing O3.

Knowing what I know now about the fatty acid profile of fresh forage versus that of hay, grain and oils in combination with some of the newer research looking at the effects of omega-6 and 3 fatty acids in certain situations I can no longer recommend corn oil. I'm also cautious about supplementing a lot of high O6 fats without the addition of an O3 source. Especially to competition horses.

Clair
    www.summit-equine.com

Thank you Clair, that was awesome reading, and gives me pause now in how I have understood the O6 issue in horses. This article isn't "new", being 2.5 years old, but it is the newest I have read on this subject, so thanks!

You are welcome

There maybe something newer out there but I could easily put my hands on that article.

I agree 2.5 years isn't new but given how slowly research moves, and how long it takes info to percolate out into the world at large beyond those intimately involved in research it's pretty "new". It takes even longer for the "new" ideas to get established. Just look at how long it's taken us all to get up to speed with diagnosing and dealing with IR and cushings!

Clair

JB:
    OK I stand corrected on the saturated fat issue. According to this article: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...267.x/abstract

"...no apparent adverse effects of feeding a diet supplemented with either an unsaturated or saturated vegetable oil for 6 months at ˜20% DE after 10 months at ˜12% DE were identified and there were no apparent disadvantages of feeding a saturated vegetable oil supplemented diet compared with an unsaturated one."
    (DE = Digestible Energy)

As to what you say about the O3:O6 balance - even if it were the case that the ratio didn't matter, I'd rather err on the side of caution. And canola oil makes my pony look luffly
    That paper seems to indicate that the balance is necessary, though, so no harm done.

I feed canola oil, 1/2 cup twice a day for my dryskin horse but am beginning to get leery of any vegetable oil- the corn, soy and canola used for oil production are all genetically modified strains, grown by factory farms owned by big corporations. Believe me Dow and Monsanto do NOT have anyone's best interests at heart.

We know that the proteins from GMO oilseeds are detectable in the oil and we don't know the long term effects.

There is enough evidence in mammals generically to suggest that Omega 6 is inflammatory, so I would not be using corn oil anyway, just to be safe.

For an animal that lives 20-30 years, a 6 month study is too short to see if there are adverse effects.

Pass the tinfoil hat.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Canola oil. The big jug. Costco.

Same as CatonLap, half cup 2xday. Might decrease based on condition of horse.

To make life easier, I have bought a supplement pump, cut a hole in the screw off top of the canola oil and insert supplement pump through hole. The whole top and pump goes onto the next jug when I buy a new one. I wash it occasionally.

I stir it in with a purpose kept sweat scraper so that all feed gets coated and I don't get a big pool of oil in the bucket.

Cheap, easy and effective, just how I like it.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

veland Guest

Default RE;Add oil to diet?

Hi,
    If the weight gain is sudden, not related to any changes in feed or exercise, and does not respond to reduced rations, consult your veterinarian. This could be a symptom of a metabolic condition. Proper diet (low starch/low sugar), exercise, and give soybean oil in some cases, medication, can help manage the problem.

Online pharmacy

I've used Cocosoya with great success.

http://www.victoryequine.com/cocosoyaoil.html