The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Place to Sell Amerigo saddle?

Hi,

Where is the best place to sell an Amerigo dressage saddle? Are people even buying saddle's right now? I was told by one guy today that saddles aren't really moving....

TIA!!!

I have a still brand new (as in never sat in) Equipe from the Amerigo line. It hasn't moved for 70% of its new price. I have a few others as well, but they aren't moving either. I think ebay deals kill us! I've compared my Albion dressage saddle (almost new- no wear marks) and you can steal one on ebay every so often for half of what I need - which is 60% of what I paid new and only sat in it 10x! ugh- it stinks selling saddles. I think you have to have an extremely good deal for someone, or sell them your 20yo schooling saddle for $10. Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

The market stinks. Badly. And for Amerigo's, that is compounded by Amerigo having dumped a bunch of discontinued inventory on the market earlier this year at wholesale (approx. $2200) which drove down the demand.

I would call your local Amerigo rep and ask if they have any clients interested. If that's not an option, I'd put it on consignment with a big vendor that moves a lot of high-end tack. Fine Used Saddles is my personal favorite.

Some people also throw it on Ebay and just relist it over and over again. Ebay is having a free listing sale at the moment, so it wouldn't be a bad time to try that before you send it on consignment.

Regarding Equipe: Equipe is a very nice saddle brand but it is NOT affiliated with Amerigo. Equipe happens to be built in the same factory that builds Amerigo--for a totally different designer and manufacturer and with totally different specs from Amerigo/Vega. And Equipe likes to advertise that fact as if they ARE part of Amerigo. Got this info right from World Equestrian Brands headquarters, who distributes Amerigo in the US. Equipe is very nice but it's more French in design, closer in design to a CWD or Antares than an Amerigo.

Regarding Equipe: Equipe is a very nice saddle brand but it is NOT affiliated with Amerigo. Equipe happens to be built in the same factory that builds Amerigo--for a totally different designer and manufacturer and with totally different specs from Amerigo/Vega. And Equipe likes to advertise that fact as if they ARE part of Amerigo. Got this info right from World Equestrian Brands headquarters, who distributes Amerigo in the US. Equipe is very nice but it's more French in design, closer in design to a CWD or Antares than an Amerigo.

Interesting - thanks for clarity as I've heard both versions with fairly even regularity (including the Amerigo IS affiliated from somethat that reeally should know better )

As to design, DD sat in saddles (blind test with no idea of price or manufacture) & while she consistently chooses the "shop fit" of CWD, Antares & Amerigo CC, she could not find the sweet spot in the Equipe Expression - unfortunately no local tack shop has any other Equipe saddles so it may just be that model ...
    saddles ranged from Bates, Berney Bros, Butet, Collegiate, Crosby, Exselle, Pessoa, Stubben, L'Apogee - too bad this one didn't fit the horse as it was a super deal.

I liked the budget price of the Equipe Expression but the shop wouldn't allow the saddle to be girthed!!! nevermind actually riding in it

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post

Interesting - thanks for clarity as I've heard both versions with fairly even regularity (including the Amerigo IS affiliated from somethat that reeally should know better )
    Those must be the same people who run around saying that the "N" in an Amerigo serial number stands for Narrow Tree (it stands for normal flap and has no relationship to the tree size).

The confusion is probably that Amerigo *is* designed by Equipe Menetsattel, which is not the same thing as the Equipe brand of saddles. Similarly, Prestige happens to be built by Equipe Selleria Italiana but that doesn't mean they're affiliated with Equipe.