The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Va folks

Virginia Eases Hay Transport Rules
    Due to the severe drought affecting most of the state, the Virginia Department of Transportation and Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles have granted temporary waivers of registration and license requirements for carriers transporting emergency supplies of hay and/or animal feed. Waivers for normal weight and width restrictions are also being granted.

Unlike previous years, the 2010 exemptions extend statewide, not just to localities designated as primary and contiguous natural disaster areas by USDA. The exemptions will remain in effect until Oct. 6 or whenever the drought crisis has abated.

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Do you deliver in VA?

Thanks Tamara.

My county is going through the process of disaster declaration. Crops are crispy - rain came too late.

Question Tamara in Tenn, please. What do we do now?

Tamara,
    I'm looking for hay, too. Does the restriction change make it now more reasonable for you to deliver hay to Virginia? What if a group of us who live close got together for a large amount, say a semi?

I called a hay wholesaler in southern Va and he is bringing hay in from Colorado,Wyoming and other spots that far away.

There is a "HAY" thread in a separate section, but there hasn't been any action on it.

Thoughts? guidance?

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    Tamara,
    I'm looking for hay, too. Does the restriction change make it now more reasonable for you to deliver hay to Virginia? What if a group of us who live close got together for a large amount, say a semi?
    basically it drops any overweight loads and over wide loads
    (normally overwide round bale loads as it is nearly impossible to go overweight) it is not "easier" for us personally as we never run wide or over esp in semi loads...and the state the hay comes thru are not going to be as generous as Va is being...

these are normally rules for the locals only...it will make it easier for "Farmer John" from Bristol w/o a CDL to haul an over wide load of say 6x6's to say Roanoke w/o worrying about a ticket...

the biggest expense in getting hay from me to any of you (or any other hay dealer seller in the nation) is the freight...

it is huge amount for any single farm to manage but trucks don't drive on air and drivers have to eat...it is easier/cheaper for many of you just to come here...splitting loads are easier on the end buyers provided the fee is split evenly w/no regard to load size

I was FURIOUS with some Big South Fork people when they divided our freight charge based on the load size such that even with 4 separate stops the person who bought the most hay was penalized with the most freight charge
    that was wrong and we have never agreed to that again from them...

I called a hay wholesaler in southern Va and he is bringing hay in from Colorado,Wyoming and other spots that far away.
    the best hay must come from where it is grown properly...improperly grown hay is a disappointment and should not be shipped

Thoughts? guidance?
    be careful...if they know you need it they will show no mercy...

Tamara in TN
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by RNB View Post
    Do you deliver in VA?
    see above

Tamara in TN