The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    between the barn and the pond

Default Special Equestrians in Birmingham, AL: Has anyone here donated a horse?

Considering options for my QH gelding. Would love to hear about your experience with this program.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Want to hear it all, good and bad.

Katarine, I know Kathy Claybrook who runs the program and Rita Mendel who is on the Board of Directors and very hands on. They are both horse people and care about the animals. They are very specific on what they will take also. The facilities and stabling is at Indian Springs School on Hwy 119 -- go by and look at the horses and conditions, talk to Kathy about how they are used and cared for. I would be inclined to think it is a good situation for the right horse. What you might ask is what happens if the horse becomes unsuitable.

between the barn and the pond

Thanks TKR, I haven't run into anything that gives me pause. And yes you're right, both Rita and Kathy will do it right if it's going to be done.

He's a very good horse, I've owned him 13 years...he's just a horse that has no job, as I'm busy riding laps on my TWH with Debbie hollering at me ...and I do need to inquire about how they'd want to address his needs in say, 5 years, should something happen to him (get hurt, come up lame, etc).

Thank you!

in the tiny cottage behind three maple trees

I volunteered there about seven years ago. All the horses were in good shape and appeared well cared for with appropriate and well-fitted tack used. We didn't have any leaders who didn't appear to know what they were doing. The only qualm I had about the program was noticing on a few occasions that leaders and sidewalkers were not wearing appropriate footwear (flip-flips and mules). But that's not really relevant to your query and may not even be the case any longer.
    Full-time bargain hunter.