The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for non-horse buddy recomendations

We currently have 2 horses on our farm - our 15 yr old retired gelding and a friend's retired gelding that we board. Our boarder is relocating to NH in a couple months and we're thinking about finding some other type of companion buddy for our gelding. We had minis before, but weren't a fan. Any recommendations for a good buddy? Goat? Sheep?

We would like to find something that is easy to take care of and handle

Wink

A mini donkey. They are fabulous companions and easy keepers, not to mention the cuteness factor!

Goats make good companions and will eat stuff horses don't but you absolutely need very good fence.

Sheep are also good and less testing of fences but unless you get hair sheep they need to be shorn.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

We have slip rail fence, so preferably someone that doesn't like to wander under/through the fencing would be good

the people that had my horse before I bought him kept him by himself, and they got him a goat, but he hated the goat. The poor goat loved, him, tho. Would not stop following him around.

I second the mini donkey recommendation. But, since I already have the cutest donkey on the planet, you'll have to content yourself with the lesser donkeys available :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z..._2005/Hank.jpg
    http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...tmasDonkey.jpg
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

How are mini donkeys to handle? What type of care do they need - food, feet, worming, shots? Does your equine vet take care of the donkey too?

my hair sheep stick to the horses like glue - except if it rains as the horses don't mind the rain and the sheep hate getting wet and will run to the stalls
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

an alpaca or llama.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Default Mini Donk

Another vote for a mini donkey. Mine sees herself as the protector of my mare. She will even chase deer out of the pasture to protect the horse. She stays by her side all the time, and they are best friends. She is the easiest keeper I have ever had.

We have 2 nubian goats with our dry-lotted pony and they are a happy family (and the goats are more fun than puppies and less trouble). I do have to braid his tail though. We have 3 strands of braided very HOT wire and they won't leave the pony's side and have never escaped.

My friend has a mini donkey and the horse is so attached he has an anxiety attack when the donkey is seperated from him for farrier or vetting.

Quote Originally Posted by filly78 View Post
    How are mini donkeys to handle? What type of care do they need - food, feet, worming, shots? Does your equine vet take care of the donkey too?
    A mini Donkey will require the same care as a horse as far as worming, vaccinations, dental and farrier care. My equine vet handles all things donkey related too. All donkeys are individuals with their own personality however, generally, donkeys are very affectionate and enjoy attention. As with any animal they need to be trained. Halter break early. My donkey does better being driven from behind than being led but I've found him easy to handle. He is very loving and affectionate and enjoys pats and scritches and will frisk you for treats if you enter his enclosure. I've trained him to pull a cart and now my husband will drive him on trail rides with me while I ride my horse. http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28114...80191555slYqAL They don't require a lot of food...most don't need any extra feed beyond good quality hay or pasture and fresh water. I give mine a cup of feed am and pm just because the horses are getting fed and I just can't leave the little fella out.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

PRS, that's one of the cutest pictures I've ever seen! I love mini donks.

KIm
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    PRS, that's one of the cutest pictures I've ever seen! I love mini donks.

KIm
    Thank you! I just love my little guy! That was my boss' son and twin grandsons in the cart. It's one of my favorite pictures too.