The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Micro piglet around horses? Need info before taking the plunge

Has anyone had any experience with micro pigs with horses? I'm doing some research before I take the plunge.... I understand that they are very social and loving animals that could literally be traumatized if eventually given up for adoption. That being said, I need to know some things about them before purchasing one.

Do horses get along with them? Would my horse vet have a better shot administering medical attention to the pig or my dog vet? If purchased by a reputable breeder, and with the explicit requirement that they stay small, what is the max size I should expect them to get?

I have read that they do not get along with dogs, but what about cats?

Are they indoor pets or outdoor, and should they stay in clean bedding or be indoor pets?

I will not purchase one or adopt one without knowing the facts and their is limited info out there on the best way to care for them responsibly.

Wow! I had to search because I had never heard of a micro pig. At the prices they're asking, I could buy a sow and breed her for a year and have enough micro piglets to double my salary!

*rubs hands together and laughs deviously*

Even little pigs get big. Pigs can breed at a very young age, and people mistakenly think that the babies will stay as small as the parents - when in fact the parents are not full grown themselves ! So I'd proceed with extreme caution .... you'd be really surprised how many 'micro' pigs end up in rescue because they get a lot bigger than their owners thought they would . You might want to go to BESTFRIENDS.org , they have a lot of info about pigs there.

That being said, I have a friend who has a pot-belly pig at her horse farm, and the pig and horses get along fine. The new horses are a little wigged out about the pig at first (most have never seen one), but they get used to the pig. Beau the pig actually ducks under the stall guards and goes in the horses' stalls and 'cleans up' under their feed buckets. They don't seem to mind at all.

I never heard that pigs don't get along with horses, any kind of pigs.

Horses that are not familiar with pigs get very scared of them at first, just as they do llamas, ostriches, big horses of ponies and any other they are not used to.

Once horses are used to them, they make arrangements to get along, if the management is sensible.

Now, pigs are not pets, although people try to make pets out of them.
    Pigs are very nice when young, but adult pigs are not pets, they mature into a mind of their own and people learn to live with them, not the other way around, like dogs or cats.
    Mature, adult pigs of any size are demanding and hardheaded and will spend all their life trying to get their way, at any cost.
    Most people that buy a pet pig, once the pig is mature, eventually have to give it up.
    Those people didn't realize what living with a grown, demanding pig means, you can ask pig rescues.

Not saying that you may not be able to make it work for you, just that it is rare that pet pigs are other when older than a questionable, harder to handle pet.

If you are looking at becoming a breeder, to sell to the public, then that is another story, because your pigs really will be in pens, not living in the house with you.

I work at an animal shelter that usually gets 20 to 30 of these admitted per year. So I can't help but cringe when I hear about someone getting one, even a thoughtful responsible animal owner like you. It's just one of the types of animals I wish people did not try to have as pets.

Funny thing about horses and pigs - we somehow got a baby ( full size breed) pig running around in our pasture with the horses, and the three big horses were scared of it, but our Welsh pony didn't seem fazed at all. I tried to catch it but it was quicker than a greased...uh..pig. And so that night I went out to put the horses to bed and there's the little thing all curled up sleeping between the pony's legs in his stall! He found his "herd," and joined up. It was so cute. I cornered it, caught it, and put it in the dog's kennel until we found him an appropriate home. He was really cute, too.

It is a pig, therefore I think your horse vet that treats livestock will do a better job than your dog vet that treats small animals. These pigs will get bigger than you think, they are strong in body and mind. They are very smart- and can do alot of damage. my friend had to chain and padlock the fridge door to keep her pet mini pig out of it- oh and pet mini/micro pig was not supposed to get bigger tha n30 pounds- yah right..thing weighs in at almost 80 pounds- its like a footstool with an appetite!

There have been a couple of threads about pot-bellied pigs...you may want to do a search. Probably same principles apply.

I have a PB - the horses really don't pay him any mind and he spends a lot of his day with them. He will guard the chickens and goats when they are out. I've seen him tear across the field when he percieves a threat, screaming his head off. This will get the Corgis all riled up, they charge out there barking, the chickens start running for the barn, the goats act crazy, it's quite a circus. The horses just keep eating.

I don't let mine in the house, EVER. That doesn't stop him from trying at every opportunity. He slimes up everything with his nose so I don't want him messing up my house.

Mine has free run of the place...he does get into trouble, but I just don't have the heart to pen him up. He sticks to my property...however, he did wander over here from the neighbor's and I "adopted" him.

The local coyotes are afraid of him.

Should also add...my horse vet looks at him occasionally, but doesn't want to handle him. I've had to have his feet trimmed once. I sincerely hope I never have to go through that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    I have a PB -

The local coyotes are afraid of him.
    Says it all, right there.

... _. ._ .._. .._

Uhmmm...I'm no pig expert, but those look just like my pot-bellied pig.

Any gimmick so you can charge $1800 for a pig. I'll bet you can get a PBP for free.

Yeah, those guys hardly stay small. And paying $1000 or so for a pig is INSANE.

I think pigs are just cute. But they are pigs, not chihuahuas. Expecting one to be a chihuahua isn't really fair to the pig, who will get to 75lb or so and want to roll around in the mud and eat your flowers.

Yeah, I'm afraid you guys are right. Anything that has the potential to turn into a 75lb snorting slobbering mess most likey won't work. Good thing I didn't jump head long into it. But the plights of these poor pigs, makes me sad. :-(