The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Seeking Standard or Small Standard size donkeys NY

We have a large horse operation in the southern tier of NY. I am looking for another Standard or Small Standard Size (minis are too small, mammoths are too big) donkey to protect our equine senior citizens from coyotes. In the two fields we had protected by donkeys last year (all our young horses) there were no incidents with coyotes. We did have a very young filly killed by a coyote in a small unprotected paddock.

I have several older retired broodmares that are living out their days on a 60 acre pasture. I am very concerned that one of them might have an incident that might be an opportunity for a coyote. We have one Jenny that I could move to that pasture. But she would be the only donkey and unlikely to make a friend among the mares. Our donkeys prefer the company of other donkeys. I would like to find another donkey to buddy up with her so she will have a friend.

We have had donkeys to protect our calves and horses for many, many years and have never had a donkey injured by a predator. However, we have found many predators killed by donkeys in our fields through the years.

We treat our donkeys as members of our family. We have a safe regular income, grow our own hay and have affordable custom milled grain. Our situation is as safe as it can be in this economy. Every one of our retired broodmares are physically touched and looked over every day. We also groom them and keep them current on everything. I will do the same with the donkeys looking out for my old girls. I would be very happy and willing to keep in touch and provide regular updates. Thanks!
    Last edited by Baroquecoco; Aug. 17, 2010 at 07:52 PM.