The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I know another pricing thread....

This in no way a sales thread at the pony in question isn't even for sale at the moment, but I have a few questions about how YOU would price a pony. I understand part of it has to do with the local market, but within the market where he is I see prices all over the place. I am just curious as what other people would expect to pay or get from the sale.

Large pony (QH pony) about 8 or 9 14.1 (easy to measure, but no perm card). Has mostly schooling show miles, some local rated show miles. Usually champ or reserve champ, has most experience at x-rails and short stirrup. Auto changes, easy, no show prep, complete kids pony and has pretty much been brought along by kids. Does have some miles at the 2'6"/2'9" level. Has a big step, good mover and good jumper (not super fancy though) steady. Went to 4-H regional horse show (has to qualify to make it there). I have a figure in my head, I am just wondering about others opinions. If you have anymore questions I will try to answer them as best as I can. I expect a range of answers.

Quote Originally Posted by whbar158 View Post
    This in no way a sales thread at the pony in question isn't even for sale at the moment, but I have a few questions about how YOU would price a pony. I understand part of it has to do with the local market, but within the market where he is I see prices all over the place. I am just curious as what other people would expect to pay or get from the sale.

Large pony (QH pony) about 8 or 9 14.1 (easy to measure, but no perm card). Has mostly schooling show miles, some local rated show miles. Usually champ or reserve champ, has most experience at x-rails and short stirrup. Auto changes, easy, no show prep, complete kids pony and has pretty much been brought along by kids. Does have some miles at the 2'6"/2'9" level. Has a big step, good mover and good jumper (not super fancy though) steady. Went to 4-H regional horse show (has to qualify to make it there). I have a figure in my head, I am just wondering about others opinions. If you have anymore questions I will try to answer them as best as I can. I expect a range of answers.
    I would really like to see a video, or pictures. But based from what you are saying maybe $12000-16000. If you think he has potential to do the green ponies possibly regulars, i would ask $18500+. and if he is a 'freak' exeptionally awesome mover, more.

Assuming not fancy means it won't ribbon in good company in the larges/greens- I'd say under $8-15k as a super-packer at w/t, short stirrup, beginner hunter. If it can get the kid miles at 2'6"- like pre-childrens pony hunters then maybe $20k. Maybe even more than that if it will do ok in the childrens pony hunters.

I personally think he is more suited to the childrens pony and think he could do well in that, the height and stride of the greens and regulars are not the problem. I am just not sure he would be fancy enough to ribbon at the top consistently, but her certainty could get a kid some solid miles on an easy and safe pony. I view him as a pony someone would buy for their short stirrup kid to get miles before getting a fancier pony or moving on to a horse.

Hmmm.... I'd say 10k-12k, maybe up to 15k if he can really pack a kid in the regulars. He sounds like a great guy though, a perfect 'starter' pony :-)

A Pony with the most experience at cross rails or short stirrup/2' no oxers with some non rated, limited experience at the 2'9" Green height, no permanent card, no A rated experience and a 4H background would not get what some have said on here.

If you could get it to a more show oriented state and get some A or competitive local B rated miles on it as a Childrens Pony? It might. Right now as it is, at almost 10 years old? It does not justify 5 figures. Nothing indicates it could move to the "real" divisions, it's not so young (and if you don't have the papers it's probably at least 2 years older then you think) and it is not in a show centered location. Plus people who want 2' packers for a 6 year old tot usually are not going to spend 10k plus on them.

Sorry.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Findeight-That is my biggest concern, the pony is a nice pony, but if you look at it's show history and where it has been showing those people do not want to pay 10k. I have told them to try to hit some bigger better known shows this fall and hope he does very well (which he can). He is papered I just can't remember his exact age at the moment. He is nice and cute enough that I do think he could do the bigger shows and pin but he is not fancy enough for people to go out of their way to buy him as is now. I have seen him pack 2'6" at home he just hasn't done it at shows. He has gone from could barely jump to where he is now in just over a year without much professional riding. Just trying to help them out with a price when the time comes, which will be soon as the kid is getting taller every day.

By the way this pony is not in MS that is just where I am, but I know the pony well and have ridden the pony many times.

Sounds like a good, safe guy. I think around $2k, maybe up to 4 if he is pretty. JMO though...
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

I would think 10k-15k, at least around here in Zone II...
    ILOVERMONT

Thanks guys! That is much of what I thought. Before I told them that I think they need to get him to a few bigger shows and see how he does so they could ask a higher price (if he does well) I wanted to hear what some other people think. His biggest draw back to being able to ask more (to me) is that he hasn't done many bigger shows where the people who would pay more are at. As he is not super fancy, I would think people would want to see that he CAN do it before they buy him for a bigger tag. Still interesting about the differences in prices! I do not want to post a picture or a video as I don't really want anyone to recognize him or this be considered a ad. Again he is not for sale right now, but will be and they money they get from him will be used to buy a horse so I would like them to have the best chance at getting a good horse for the kid. Will be sad to see the pony go, he is a sweetheart.