The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gro and Win Ration balancer

Anyone use this and do you like the results you are getting? My vet says my 18 yr old Appy is a bit chunky and needs to slim down but he gets good hay 24/7. She recommended this product.

She also gave me 2 other types, but i don't know if i can get it in the feed stores near me. Natures Choice? And All Phase by Pennfield.

Read the labels - if you can understand what's in it - go from there.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    Anyone use this and do you like the results you are getting? My vet says my 18 yr old Appy is a bit chunky and needs to slim down but he gets good hay 24/7. She recommended this product.

She also gave me 2 other types, but i don't know if i can get it in the feed stores near me. Natures Choice? And All Phase by Pennfield.
    I've used Buckeye in the past w/ great results-just choose the type based on the type of hay you feed-either grass/mixed or alfalfa ....i have fed it from youngsters on up to seniors-excellent...never used the others so i can't comment...only other ration balancer ive used is Progressive Nutrition-also excellent/premium quality

Is he getting anything else besides hay? If so, why is adding something with calories going to make him lose weight?

If he's not getting anything but hay, then the hay needs to be reduced to at most 2% of his *desired* body weight. Use small hole hay nets if you need to make sure hay time is extended and he's not eating it all in 2 hours and then standing around for 10.

If he's getting all this hay and some sort of grain, drop the grain and use a vit/min supplement with a cup or so of beet pulp to carry it.

Gro N Win offers no sufficient calories, just vitamins/minerals/protein. They get about 1# per head/day to get all the vitamins etc that they would get in a full day's ration of fortified grain; without the extra calorie load of a fortified grain. I started using it on my girls this past winter and I am very happy with it.
    Last edited by bumblesmama; Aug. 17, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
    "It's about the journey, not the destination"

My horse has been on Senior feed for a couple years but the vet says he's the kind of horse who will probably never need to be on it. So we are cutting way back and weaning him off it and changing to a Ration balancer. I was looking online for the closest feed store to carry them, and the one closest has the Buckeye brand. Gro and Win. The vet says give him a cup per feeding. I was just curious if those who use it are happy with it.

1lb of GNW DOES offer calories. It's a ration balancer, like Enrich 32 or TC 30. It may be lower in calories than most other RBs, but at 1lb, unless it's water or celery, there ARE calories. Probably 800-1000.

So Nezzy, if you're feeding more than 1lb of the Sr feed, which is more than 1000 calories/lb, then yes, 1lb of just about any ration balancer is going to be fewer calories yet still provide a good deal of nutrition.

1c is shorting on the designed nuritional benefit though, and at that point I'd probably just use a vit/min supplement. But, if it works for you, it works.

I'm new to ration balancer, my vet told me it was good for him, so i'm trying to get opinions on it. my horse is not very big, he's probably 15 h or less.

RBs are, as a whole, good things. That does not mean they are good for every horse, nor does it mean every horse needs one.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    RBs are, as a whole, good things. That does not mean they are good for every horse, nor does it mean every horse needs one.
    Definitely. If you want to know for sure, then hay analysis is a good place to start. Your horse may need nothing more than hay, salt/mineral block and water. You can't know for sure if your horse needs more without analyzing your hay or even hair analysis might help you with a baseline for your horse too. These are just suggestions of course.
    "It's about the journey, not the destination"

Forget hair analysis

Hay/grass analysis *can* be a helpful start, if it's even feasible to do. Bloodwork can help find if there are some very obvious issues, like low Se or E. Hair analysis is just about useless

Nezzy, the only thing I would say is to watch for a change in behavior especially if he is a riding horse. A few winters ago I decided to forego the grain and switch to BP/oats and add the RB for the vitamins. Anyway, after my horse turned psycho only after a few days on it, I learned that the 30% protein it touts is from soy and apparently some horses have a sensitivity to soy. So I stopped the RB after a few weeks and added only a vitaman supplement to the BP/oats and he went right back to his normal mellow self. I have heard this is pretty common, so just know about it ahead of time so you can watch for any possible changes in behavior.

I've been using it for many years & love it. My horses are such air ferns that I know that they're getting what the need without all the extra fat. Just be sure that you weigh it to get the right amount. Feeding only one cup is not enough for most horses.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Thanks Everyone. Is soy intolerance common? I usually trust this vet with nutrition issues. She has placed another horse in our farm on the ration balancer. The other horse is a small arab pony that foundered badly on grass a year ago. I think they did analyze the hay for that horse. Our BO is a hay dealer and grows all of our hay. She has lost a good amount of weight and looks healthy.

My guy looks plump, but not too bad, however the neck being slightly cresty, the vet thinks he could be prone to founder and we should cut back. Since he gets all the hay he wants, I asked if we could just stop giving grain all together and she said the ration balancer would be best for him.

Actually, I wouldn't do a ration balancer at all if he's plump and cresty. 1-2 cups of soaked Beet Pulp (yes, amount AFTER soaking) and a vitamin/mineral supp is all you need. You're looking at 100-200 calories with that amount of beet pulp vs. 1000 calories for 1lb of RB. I have 4 out of 6 horses sensitive to soy. Learned that when I went the RB route and started having tons of problems. Sure wish that hadn't been the case, because life sure would have been easier. My horses, due to the soy intolerance, ballooned up like beach whales and were a mouthful of grass away from founder. BUT, if your horse isn't sensitive to soy, the RBs and good. But in your case, I would really do BP and multi vit as opposed to an RB, hands down.

My guy looks plump, but not too bad, however the neck being slightly cresty, the vet thinks he could be prone to founder and we should cut back. Since he gets all the hay he wants, I asked if we could just stop giving grain all together and she said the ration balancer would be best for him.

Sidenote-plump with a cresty neck, getting all the hay he wants-I think you have crossed the line from he "could founder" to he is on the path, direct route, no stops.

I would NOT feed this horse an RB. No grain, and obviously less hay.

How much Senior feed was your horse on? The vet may just want to make sure your horse is getting enough protein, which is why he recommended Gro N Win. If the swap results in a reduction in calories, then you are addressing the excess weight. I've never had a problem with soy, and if you are only feeding a small amount, it probably will not be a problem for you. I actually use the Triple Crown 30% supplement.

Here are links to these 2 products:

http://www.buckeyenutrition.com/rati...in/Detail.aspx

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/suppl...ent-supplement

You may also want to check out Quiessence, which is good for founder prone fatties!

http://www.foxdenequine.com/quiessence.htm

Good luck!

My guy looks plump, but not too bad, however the neck being slightly cresty, the vet thinks he could be prone to founder and we should cut back.
    This means there is a great need to either test your hay, or start soaking it.

Since he gets all the hay he wants,
    You may still be able do that *as long as* you are either knowing it's low enough in NSC, or are soaking it.

I asked if we could just stop giving grain all together and she said the ration balancer would be best for him.
    As mentioned, *I* would not put this horse on the RB. He's overweight, cresty, and that right there means there is a higher than normal chance there will be some sensitivity to the soy. No proof, just personal observations.

Vit/min supp, 1-2c beet pulp (doesn't have to be post-soaking, 1c is still just a bit over 100 calories), likely added magnesium, and *I* would add at least some extra lysine. And, I would have him tested for IR issues.

We will be trying the RB but not much at all. i think he was getting a lb of senior feed at each meal. Around that. so we'll be finding a new home for the senior feed, and working with the vet with the RB. IF i think anything is wrong i will call the vet and explain my concerns to her. Thanks for giving me your advice. I will always keep it in mind.

"but not much at all" makes it about worthless to spend the $$ on a RB then. You're not going to be doing any more than about what's in a vit/min supplement if you do "not much at all" of a RB is my point.