The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Post Bit Question: Mikmar line

My TB show hunter in the older adults gets heavy at the ends of the ring and can get progressively faster. He likes to root down but he is generally a calm individual. I show him in a slow twist. For schooling a traditional gag works, but I dont want to use 2 reins due to a hand problem. I was looking into the Mikmar 2 ring snaffle with cupreon simple center, as the Mikmar cupreon ergom lozenge bit was not quite enough for him. I have read that the Mikmar D ring snaffle with low port is another option and as is the short shank. Could someone please help me?

Go back to the basics, don't just resort to the 'bigger bit theory'. Heavy on the front, of course he is going to increase his speed, particularly to balance himself. I realise this is under the h/j thread however he sounds like he needs more of a solid foundation - dressage scale!! Patterns and exercises that encourage him to sit back on his hind end. If he's sitting back on his hind end and working from back to front, over his back, then he obviously won't be rooting down and heavy on the forehand!! If you can't do it in a basic bit (or even bitless), then he definitely should not be in a bigger bit - the 'bigger bits' are for refinement, not control.

Have you tried a corkscrew or a twisted wire bit? What about a dr. bristol (or a dr. bristol w/ a twist)? Those are some other choices without going to two reins or the mikmar. The cupreon mikmar bits aren't going to do much for control, different types of metal don't do nearly as much as bit companies like to advertise. You won't be able to show in the 2 ring bit or the short shank, but the D with the traditional mouthpiece is a good option. Although I think those bits are best used, and designed, to be a switch from the short shank bits or the combination bits used for schooling to something you can show in. I like the Mikmar bits, but they need to be used with an educated hand - you can flip a horse over if you're not careful...