The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Bump"/Swelling on front of hind cannon bone

I did a search and found things CLOSE to this but not exactly.

Long story short, I went out of town on Thursday last week. The night before, I noticed a small swelling on my mares hind cannon bone, directly on the front of the bone, below the hock. It had no heat, was not tender at ALL, and I lunged her quickly and she was not lame.

I arrived home this evening and checked on it - same. I can "wiggle" it back and forth, it feels like the tendon, possibly the extensor tendon, but the online pics of the anatomy show it just off to the inside of the cannon bone, not directly on top. Maybe banged her extensor muscle?

Its late and dark so no pics but while googling, I found this post on yahoo answers and the pictures posted look like my mares, but my mares swelling is smaller.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2185124AAWVDtO

Any thoughts?
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Is she not sensitive when you palpate it?

What has her work schedule been like? Any increase in work, new living arrangements (like a new pasture or paddock)?

Nope - not sensitive at all. Nothing new. Actually not riding pretty much at all right now due to the heat and my pain (upcoming surgery). No change in her turnout, living arrangements, it hasnt been slippery, etc.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    Nope - not sensitive at all. Nothing new. Actually not riding pretty much at all right now due to the heat and my pain (upcoming surgery). No change in her turnout, living arrangements, it hasnt been slippery, etc.
    The only bucked shin experience I've had, the mare was VERY sensitive to touching that area. And if she hasn't had an increase in work or been running hard in turnout or something, I don't think it would be likely.

Hmm, don't know what else it could be.

This is exactly what happened to my horse. He wasn't lame on it, but it was a a weird bump..

Vet said it was created by him hitting his leg and inflammation formed from the tendon coming off of the bone.. I don't remember what he called it but he injected it with something to keep it from getting bigger and we sweat it and gave him a week off and he was fine..

Sorry I'm so vague about it but I can't remember the specifics!

EverAfter, that is what I was thinking. I do not see any nics or marks on the leg but was thinking maybe she banged it somehow.

I have been cold hosing it but it doesnt help. I wasnt sure if I should try to sweat it or not. Its only been 5 days so I was kind of waiting to see what happened since it does not bother her AT ALL.
    ~~~~~~~~~

yeah what happened with my horse is he hit his leg while jumping... Sweating it helped it go down a bit until the vet came out.. it was about the size of a bean probably and then once the vet injected (with a steroid I believe) it we just wrapped it.. I don't notice it anymore..

But yeah when I was doing google searches that's what came up as well haha... My trainer thought it was a bucked shin but it wasn't