The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts - F250 5.4L ?

Looking for opinions on this truck...was originally looking at the F150 but stumbled onto a great deal on a 2004 truck & I love how it tows my little 2h Trail-et It will have other duties - is the gas mileage that bad? Really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

http://www.f150online.com/forums/f-2...l-economy.html
    reading the above link may help.

My F250 was a pig on gas compared to either the F150 or the F350. The F150 had the 5 L gas motor and got 12-14 hauling and 15-18 otherwise. The F350 has the 6 L diesel and gets 15-16 hauling and 18-20 empty. The F250 had the 5.4 L gas motor and got 12 hauling or empty.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

The F150 is really a "toy" truck. Not big enough to safely haul a trailer - unless you are talking minis. I agree with CanOnLap - my F250 was a guzzler but I love my F350 - can drive all day (12+ hours!) on a tank of diesel. Couldn't do half the trip in the F250. And yes, my husband owns a toy F150. Not much of a farm truck, can't carry a pallet of bedding, can't haul 2 tons of hay, never would hook it to the horse trailer, but okay for hauling the golf cart up for repairs. If you have a great deal on the F250, go for it for safety reasons.
    Horse Feathers Farm

Yes, towing with the 250 is much much better. I live in the NE and the winters & winding roads & hills are terrible. It is a great deal, and red - I have a soft spot for Big. Red. Trucks. Just the reason to buy a truck

If you love how it tows, go for it!

I had the 5.4 in an ext. cab longbed and always kinda sorta wondered if I should have opted for a larger engine. It was a long, heavy truck to have the smaller engine, but I never had any actual doubts that it could do its job.

I never bothered to calculate its MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Sipsi View Post
    The F150 is really a "toy" truck. Not big enough to safely haul a trailer - unless you are talking minis. I agree with CanOnLap - my F250 was a guzzler but I love my F350 - can drive all day (12+ hours!) on a tank of diesel. Couldn't do half the trip in the F250. And yes, my husband owns a toy F150. Not much of a farm truck, can't carry a pallet of bedding, can't haul 2 tons of hay, never would hook it to the horse trailer, but okay for hauling the golf cart up for repairs. If you have a great deal on the F250, go for it for safety reasons.

Where do you people come from? A F150 is a toy truck? Not safe to haul a trailer?

First of all neither of them is a truck, they are pickups. I drive trucks for a living and always get a chuckle out of people who think their light duty dually pickup with it's ~3 ton payload is "the stuff".

Thanks for the laugh.

goodmorning,

mpg are not going to be "good" with either choice, if you like the F250 then get it and don't look back.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Yeah, well the hauling capacity of the new F150's is a lot better than those of 20 years ago.

I had a 1990 F150 -beautiful truck with all the options, hauling gears and the short box to boot, that I customized a bit- beefier springs and shocks, bigger tires, transmission cooler, frame mounted equalizer hitch. That one safely hauled a warmblood sized Circle J 2HBP all over the place, but it was not fast and the hills taxed it when loaded. I could also load a ton of hay on it without having it sit on the axles.

The F250 was newer and was much better for hauling because it had the larger motor and came with the beefier stuff that I'd had to install on the F150.

The F350 blows the other two out of the water in terms of comfort, power, safety etc., but it's a devil to park anywhere and cannot be a daily driver, which the other two sometimes were.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

We have one of the 5.4L F250's at work. It's a 1999. It was quite abused before it came to our office (was a hatchery truck in the mtns of NC) so it has worked VERY hard and did not deal well. The tranny died around 100K, we rebuilt, it still slips occassionally. Brake lines snapped not too long ago on rear brakes (read: very hard life in mtns, mentioned earlier), which is not really relevant to your question, oops.

With the 5.4L in it, it sucks down gas so fast you can just about watch the gas guage fall. I never really understood putting a gas engine in a 3/4 ton truck, especially if you are hauling, but I guess some folks like that option if they are afraid of taking on a diesel? Over the long haul, I've always had more maintenance and expenses with my gassers than the diesels, but ymmv. If you like the truck and it suits your needs, it will do better for towing than an F150 will, just be prepared now for the fuel costs. If it's been well taken care of and you continue to do so, it will probably last a long time.

I have a 03 F250 5.4L crew cab, acquired it about 3 months ago. I LOVE it. I had originally intended to keep my smaller car for the commuting vehicle and use the truck for towing, etc, but literally 1 week after I got plates and was ready to go, the car died, and resurrecting it would be more than it was worth, so I now use the truck as my commuter and hauler. With a 20 minute commute each way 5 days/wk, random errands, plus a local haul to a show on a weekend that's about 15-30 mins away (2h bumper pull) I fill up every 8 days. I feel as if that is pretty decent. I drove it to my folks' house (5 1/2 hours away) and got there with the needle directly between 1/4 and 1/2. This weekend I hauled 3 hours away in a fairly hilly area (the truck had plenty of power.. this was the first time I really tested it like that) and it used the same amount. I feel so comfortable in this truck, I feel safe, and that light bumper pull DID NOT MOVE, even when huge trucks went by on the highway. The power was everything I needed it to be (had a compression check done on it). I have 2 friends that have F250's, one an 02 and one an 04, and because they sung praises of theirs, I got mine.

A side note: my mechanic puts in 20w50 for it in the summer only, and I could tell my gas mileage improved.

In your spot, I'd either think hard about a long-bed F-150 to beef up for hauling, or I'd go to a diesel. Within diesel world, I'd find a used 7.3L or a Chevy Duramax with their great Allison transmissions.

Here's why: With a f-250 gasser, you get the worst of both worlds-- bad fuel economy and an engine that will have a shorter lifespan than a diesel. If the f-150 does better on mpg and the 5.4L V8 engine feels powerful enough for your rig and hills in your area, then why not?

It also depends on how you like to own cars. If you like to drive them forever and care for them accordingly, you may do well with a new truck or low-milage used gasser. If you will garage your truck, that speaks to a gasoline engine as well since replacing that engine will be much cheaper than replacing a diesel engine. But if you also don't mind driving an unstylish old lady of a truck, the diesel is the species that has been selectively bred for just for you.

When I was looking at used V-10s recently, I found that sellers were not depreciating them fast enough, IMO. To me, the price of a gasoline-engined car or truck should drop off steeply around the 100K miles mark. Maybe that's true after 80K. The way I drive and care for cars, I think I could get many miles out of a gasoline engine and any transmission. But when I see people all hepped up about the new transmission they put in at 80K, I want to know how else they were beating on the truck. IMO, it's harder to buy someone else's history with a gasoline engine than with a dieseler.

If you like to trade in often, a gasoline engine can be cheaper for you.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Yes, towing with the 250 is much much better. I live in the NE and the winters & winding roads & hills are terrible. It is a great deal, and red - I have a soft spot for Big. Red. Trucks. Just the reason to buy a truck
    go for it!! please post some pictures asap too

Well, it's been purchased...For many reasons, the F250 with the 5.4 feels much safer to haul in than the F150 with the same engine (I do have a 3000lb trailer & 2 17 h horses!). We just have soo many hills, heck, the driveway to my barn is scary in a car with perfect weather. And the ice & snow...I have been lucky enough to always tow with a bigger truck and was a little concerned using a 1500/F150...maybe it was that stupid rotary that ruined the experience I tend to keep my cars until they die or it's just not worth repairing. That usually means a transmission. The Jeeps tranny just fell out at 235k I will probably end up with another actual commuter car in the spring, but the truck will be used often for various farm duties & for inclement weather. I hope it works out well - no turning back now! If it has transmission issues I'm selling the horses as it must be an omen that it's just not meant to be!

A diesel is just overkill and not worth the $$$ - and I'm not a fan of long-bed trucks as I've had a few 'encounters' with various inanimate objects - those metal/cement things protecting the gas pumps are deadly