The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WHAT is going on at Woodside?

Just saw on the results that 3 of the 6 Advanced riders fell on XC. Also tons of stops at Preliminary and a few RFs and an MR as well. Is everyone ok?? Very worried.

HaveHeart819 Guest

I was also curious to know why in some of the divisions there were like 90-100 time penalties, even if the rider went clean.

Default Condolences are in order...

posted to friends in barn e-mails...Sarah Berry's gelding Yo Lo Tengo was euthanized on course after he collapsed. Lots of other folks that are "crashing and burning" just had all these horses at Rebecca...some moved up here...some are just not ready to go again...obviously, from the score board....BUT the scores and times on line are not accurate for hours after the fact! so recheck on the penalties for time, etc. Same glitch was seen on-line at Rebecca as well...entire divisions were really posted strange!!!!! Again, condolences to Sarah and Tengo,,,,He was a good guy.

I had a friend there that said the horse the was put down broke a leg coming off a water jump .. She made it sound like he couldn't get up, was thrashing around and wasn't able to clear his head from the water. I am not there but that was the phone call I got.

My thoughts are with his rider

Yes there was a lot of stops on prelim x-country, but there were a lot of move up people here and it isn't a run in the park course, the terrain is very hilly and there are a lot of skinnies after drops...overall technical. Another thing to remember is Rebecca farm was three weeks ago, so that wasn't the problem. Condolences to the horse that passed he will be missed.

No the horse collapsed at the water, they are doing a necropsy right now at Stanford university.

Quote Originally Posted by three_dayer View Post
    No the horse collapsed at the water, they are doing a necropsy right now at Stanford university.
    Really? Stanford doesn't have a vet school or vet hospital.

Default possible cardiac episode..necropsy being done...

according to trainer of horse who had to be euthanized. don't know, wasn't there. but thats what the e-mail back to the barn members was about. maybe they heard Stanford but the clinic down the freeway is Steinbeck and they have equine ambulance on site at woodside...just a thought.
    Last edited by Small Name Trainer aka SNIT!; Aug. 14, 2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: additnal info

I was one of the jump judges on the preliminary course. The horse did not go down at my jump, but unfortunately I had a good view of the accident. He looked fine as he cleared my fence, jump 3. From what I saw he cleared up 10a, which was rails into the water, got a stride or so away from the fence and went down. The jump in looked clean to me and the landing from my angle didn't look bad either, it was after. He did try to get up, once or twice but failed or went down again. There were people in the water with him immediately holding his head above water, so I don't think that was the problem. One person said broken leg, another said (sp?), but I can't say for sure. My deepest sympathy for his rider, they were having a nice go. It was awful to watch, even from a distance.

As far as the other riders, I had a number of close calls and refusals on my fence which was a pretty straight forward stepped table on pretty flat ground. It did slope up before the jump, but the actual jump and the area before and after it were pretty flat. I saw a lot of pilot error....long spots, short spots, chips, and confused horses. Intermediate and Training went much better. Not sure what happened on Advanced. One of the riders falls was on my jump, fence 5, narrow brush in the trees so there were shadows to deal with. It wasn't a bad fall, but to me it looked like either pilot error or the horse and rider disagreeing on take off point. The other one, if I remember correctly, was the result of a dirty stop on a combination. I hope whatever was in the air today goes away so that tomorrow will go smoother. This is the worst I have seen since I have been jump judging out there and these are the same fences in the same or similar spots, so I have no idea what was up. The weather was also cooler than it was for the May event.

Sorry my mistake, I was meaning to say Davis university...the official report was something to do with an aneurism...

One of the advanced horse falls was from my barn. Horse was having a great run, jumped into the second water, went across, and in fine advanced horse fashion.... tripped after jumping up the bank and his rider just stepped off his shoulder. Both are perfectly fine, just one of those things.

Thanks you to those that have sent their condolences.
    My name is Gina Economou, I am Sarah Berry's trainer.
    Yes, Tengo was euthanized on cross country today. They were having a good run until he fell at the water. He did not break a leg.
    The necropsy is being done at Davis. He died of massive internal bleeding. At this time however it is not known where the bleeding originated from. They will get more information as time goes by.

As to the falls at Advanced....I fell at fence 5. It was 100% pilot error. I panicked, and pulled him to the bottom of a brush fence. He tried his best, and I wound up pretty much stepping off with my vest still attached.

So so sorry about Sarah's horse and for Sarah :-(

As for the prelim course it was "softened" a bit compared to may..

1. The water line log pile was moved way back from the post and rails into the water

2. You had a nice jump in water instead of a tighter square turn to a wedge

3. The skinny Cabin which caused so much trouble after the first water was also moved WAY back to make the drop easy and the slice over the bigger cabin nice

4. They got rid of the log pile table to corner before sunken road

5. The sunken road line was more direct instead of bending out on landing to the skinny

Derek did make the drop (2nd water) to corner a little bit more challenging but compared to May of this year much softer feeling over all

I do agree the horse park is not a choice for having students move up to Novice or Prelim (yes on T). The ground can be harder than some courses and the terrain challenging for those not used to galloping up and down hills. the novice's 1st water now has double good size half rounds out of the water in 2 steps, we shall see how this goes tomorrow :-)
    To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart

Quote Originally Posted by Patchintime View Post
    Thanks you to those that have sent their condolences.
    Yes, Tengo was euthanized on cross country today. They were having a good run until he fell at the water. He did not break a leg.
    The necropsy is being done at Davis. He died of massive internal bleeding. At this time however it is not known where the bleeding originated from. They will get more information as time goes by.

As to the falls at Advanced....I fell at fence 5. It was 100% pilot error. I panicked, and pulled him to the bottom of a brush fence. He tried his best, and I wound up pretty much stepping off with my vest still attached.
    Please give Sarah my deepest condolences. Glad you are ok too!

Christine
    Aca-Believe it!!

My thoughts go out to Sarah and her family/friends, what a tragedy

Another note - has anyone noticed all the time faults, rails, and eliminations in BN-T stadium? It seems excessive, but I'm not sure what happened...

I can answer the stadium question, as I saw every ride.

1. Lots of people doing "hunter course" rides - long loops into the corners, etc.

2. There was a lot of "loose in the tack" riding at the N/BN level, and a few at the T level. There were several people who I thought perhaps should not be showing at the level they were competing.

3. Some of the people who had 3 refusals didn't turn away and re-present, they sort of presented, refused, pulled back in front of the jump, refused, rinse, wash, repeat.

And of course there were many lovely, lovely rides, and well turned out horses and riders.

So sorry for Sarah's loss..

Quote Originally Posted by Patchintime View Post
    Gina, I'm so very sorry. My condolences to you, Sarah and all who loved Tengo...

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    I can answer the stadium question, as I saw every ride.

1. Lots of people doing "hunter course" rides - long loops into the corners, etc.

2. There was a lot of "loose in the tack" riding at the N/BN level, and a few at the T level. There were several people who I thought perhaps should not be showing at the level they were competing.
    This is pretty accurate. As the human half of an aspiring BN team, I go to Woodside to cheer on my friends and to watch and learn from other riders. I always pay close attention to the rides at BN and N. There was a lot of "gymnastic" riding at stadium and I saw quite a few neck grabs to save the round. If nothing else, it kept the onlookers entertained. The course seemed much more inviting this time so clearly the Woodside people paid attention after the last show that had all the carnage in stadium.

I also feel compelled to add this PSA: Always, Always, Always, check your girth before you go into the ring...!!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Good news! Novice and Beginner Novice cross country went much better today. We did have some falls and refusals, but no horses fell and we didn't need the ambulance at all. I did see a number of horses saving riders from trouble.