The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Underground Well..can it be in the pasture?

There's area beside the house that would make a nice add on to the pasture. The only thing is is has the deep well that suppies our water to the side of it. Would having the horse pastured on the same area be unsanitary? Trying to make use of the small piece of land that we have.

We have a well in one of our pastures. We've fenced it off (in hindsight I would have made one side a gate, so we could get in to weedwhack, as it is the weeds grow 5' all around). As long as your well is properly done there should be no surface contamination in any case (no matter what's on top of the ground).

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

um...

Mine is.

Standpipe is 6" and is about, I dunno, 18" above ground? I used to use it for a mounting block.

I actually really, REALLY want to put a barn on top of the pipe running from well to house. I *know* that's a bad idea, because even though the pipe is below 8', the first Nor'easter we have that ALL the horses are in, I *KNOW* that one pipe will somehow fail...

Sadly, it's the PERFECT place to put the 'attached garage' that just happens to fit 6 stalls...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Our well head is in the middle of my large pasture. I've always MEANT to enclose or cover it, but have just never gotten around to it. So there it stands, ignored by the horses.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Our well head is in the middle of my large pasture. I've always MEANT to enclose or cover it, but have just never gotten around to it. So there it stands, ignored by the horses.
    Your lucky! My first thought was 'no way!' But I have horses that have to bite/chew/taste/lick/stratch against/rub against absolutely feakin everything! I can honestly say if I had a well out in the pasture it would look like Old Faithful within an hour!

We have four 10' panels around one of our wells, so the cattle don't rub on it and the light pole and control box by it.

As long as a truck has access to the well to pull it, it doesn't matter what you put around that well.

On building over the pipe, could you make that the aisle and so, if the pipe were to break, you can dig the aisle up to get to the pipe?
    That is the way we have our line to some cattle pens, right down the aisle of the extension we made to the old barn.
    Not that we ever expect any problems, but you never know...

Check with your county. Ours didn't care if the well was in the pasture but the barn had to be about 150 feet from it.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Here, the recommended distance to drill a well or build a house from an existing well is 100'.
    We went 140' to drill our new well for the house and horse pens, although the lines are connected to the old well, that services the cattle pastures for miles.
    In a pinch, if one quits, we can connect all wells.

That is just a precaution, but you really have wells wherever you find them and some times, it is closer to something already there.