The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle storing? Blue book for trailers?

I just had to have my horse put down and am in the process of adjusting. Due to other circumstances I will not be getting another horse anytime soon. What do I need to do to store my saddle for a long period of time? Where is a good place to store it? And while I don't want to get rid of my tack, I may want to sell my truck and trailer. Is there a "blue book" for horse trailers that would help me price my trailer? Thanks for any help you can offer.

So sorry for your loss.

Regarding saddle storage, somewhere with low humidity and protection from scratches and bumps is ideal. When I had to keep my saddle at home, it lived in a faux-fur-lined nylon saddle bag in a bedroom closet.

Re: trailers, the easiest way is to find comparable trailers and then price accordingly. Horsetrailerworld.com is a good place to start. Searchtempest.com will allow you to search all national Craigslist listings, and you could look for trailers of the same brand. Tacktrader.com also has some trailer listings, as does Ebay but remember to look carefully on Ebay at what trailers actually sold versus were listed but didn't sell. If you have a local trailer dealer, you could also talk to them about consignment. Even if you didn't end up consigning it, it would be a productive chat regarding the trailer's price.

Sorry for your loss.

Regarding the tack, clean it, oil it, and store it in a low humidity, dark, cool place. Plan on inspecting and maintaining as required on a yearly basis. Cover and/or bag it with cloth bags to keep dust of off it.

Regarding the trailer, there is no "blue book" on trailer values. You can get some ideas by surfing the web and looking at trailer sites for similar units. If you have a good relationship with your bank/credit union you might give them a call and see what they say. Trailers sales are very much "unregulated." It's a truly caveat emptor/vendor world.

As far as the truck is concerned Kelley, Edmunds, and maybe others have on-line vauation sites.

Good luck in what you decide.

G.