The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which billets to keep the saddle from sliding back?

I seem to recall a thread where some people said if you use certain billets, it helps keep the saddle from sliding back.

Does anyone know or remember about this? How/why does it work?

It entirely depends on why it's sliding back.

IME, MOST of the sliding back issues are because the saddle is put on too far forward, and the saddle is just moving back to where it's supposed to be.

1st and 3rd billets are traditionally used because 2 of the billets - usually 2/3 - are on the same strap, and #1 is on another. So, using 1/3 distributes the pressure across 2 straps, AND equally pulls down on the saddle.

1/2 billets can be used if the saddle tends to slide forward, 2/3 for sliding back.

However, the very first thing to determine is why the slippage. The vast majority of properly fitting saddles just don't slide either direction.

You have a saddle fit problem. But use back billits if you want. Get a rug no slip cushion from walmart for temp fix.

IF the saddle fits properly but still slips maybe you need a breast girth or collar. Does the horse have a big hard jumping effort?

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I seem to recall a thread where some people said if you use certain billets, it helps keep the saddle from sliding back.

Does anyone know or remember about this? How/why does it work?
    Two and three...but that may not work. I find that on saddles that want to slip, they will slip anyway. These saddles were usually too wide through the withers. On saddles that didn't want to slip, I could use one and three with no issue.

My new saddle doesn't slip and I use two and three. Rep said to use those two billets for at least 3 months and then do anything I wanted. I don't think I have to, because this saddle fits the horse.

FWIW...I've only had three saddles on the horse that didn't slip. Even if I used a pad with some fill at the withers to compensate for his TB dip...most saddles would still slip.

BTW - I think it's usually one and two that are on the same strap...so you use 1/3 or 2/3 and still distribute across the straps...and avoid the 'what if the strap breaks' issue. Wish my saddle was close to check...
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    You have a saddle fit problem. But use back billits if you want. Get a rug no slip cushion from walmart for temp fix.
    Slightly damp chamois cloth under the saddle pad, on the hair works too...