The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeches for straight, no-waisted people?

I just got home from the tack store and, after trying on 20 breeches, am a bit frustrated. I'm 5'6" and 120 lbs. I have long legs and zero waist (completely straight up and down). If the breeches fit in the hips, they were too small at the waist, or if they fit in the waist, they were awful in the hips. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

grand prix! don't remember the style, but the ones i have have a euro seat. i'm five five, and about 118, (with most of it in the chest, sadly, lol) straight hipped and waisted. LOVE LOVE LOVE them. i predict you'll take a 26 long.

Quote Originally Posted by KristieBee View Post
    grand prix! don't remember the style, but the ones i have have a euro seat. i'm five five, and about 118, (with most of it in the chest, sadly, lol) straight hipped and waisted. LOVE LOVE LOVE them. i predict you'll take a 26 long.
    Advice and a prediction! Care to lay some money on that?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

You could try some lower rise breeches...

5'7 and 125 here. I had the same problem with breeches that were higher waisted, so I went for lower rise ones. The RJ Classics Sterling breech fit pretty well... I still need a belt if to keep them from gapping at the top, but it was the best fit overall. The only problem was I have muscular calves and somehow breech manufacturers think skinny= no calves, so they are kinda tight... but they are sooo pretty. Look like TS, but a nicer color. If we are predicting here, I predict you take my size, 28 R. They are a little short on me, but I don't mind because I wear long socks.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

DD likes the TS 2 way stretch (#1941) - the 4 way stretch were very gappy in the backside.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat95 View Post
    You could try some lower rise breeches...

...The only problem was I have muscular calves and somehow breech manufacturers think skinny= no calves, so they are kinda tight... but they are sooo pretty. Look like TS, but a nicer color. If we are predicting here, I predict you take my size, 28 R.
    I noticed the tiny calf problem. One pair I couldn't even get my feet through. And I have tiny calves, so very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Advice and a prediction! Care to lay some money on that?
    Lol. I'm going to guess the 28, but we'll see once I actually get some to try on. I wasn't able to try on the Grand Prix's as there weren't any in a 26 or 28. I did like their fabric better than most, so I may just take the risk and order them.

Thanks for the suggestions! And look, I'm practicing my multi-quoting!

Kristie, are yours the Hampton II or the Vegas? From Dover's description it looks like the Hampton II has a lower rise but the Vegas has the euro-seat. Are yours pretty low-rise?

I was going to say Grand Prix too.....LOL

They are pricey but fit really well. I LOVE LOVE them too. I have no hips and these fit me the best of all breeches.

Mine are the Hampton II SIDE ZIP.... I actually have PINK ones too... they were my first pair because they were on sale and that's when I discovered I loved them....
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belair View Post
    Kristie, are yours the Hampton II or the Vegas? From Dover's description it looks like the Hampton II has a lower rise but the Vegas has the euro-seat. Are yours pretty low-rise?
    they are pretty low rise. but they definitely have a euro seat! the name is not printed in the label, so i don't know what to say in terms of which style they actually are!

ca#05563
    rn#76260

sorry that's the best i can do!

and lol mvp - no now that i think about it i don't want to put money on it! we sounded similarly built enough that i was feeling pretty confident but everyone is so different, i'm going to back down off of that prediction now. haha.

Thanks, everyone.

I have one more probably dumb question. When choosing between Regulars and Longs, do most breech manufacturers increase the rise or just the leg length?

i have exactlyyy the same problem and the pikeurs fit me really really well. im the same height and basically the same weight and the pikeurs fit me awesome, nothing else does.

hope that helps

I'm 5'10" and 125. I have quite literally 1/2" between my last rib and hip, so I am in the same "no-waist" boat as you. I'm veritably box shaped. Exhibit A.

I generally wear a 28L (well, an XL, but that's another story), and first tried to remedy the problem with low-rise breeches.

I tried on a pair of 28L low rise. Too small.

Tried on 30L low rise. Too small.

I got the 32L halfway on, realized they weren't going to fit, and decided that low-rise breeches were clearly not the answer. Back to the drawing board.

Since the problem was that Tailored Sportsman's fit everywhere except the waist, I just addressed it directly. Bought the 28s (erm, that is to say, had them made for me) and went to a tailor. There's a fair amount of extra fabric up in the waist, so he just let that part out.

Perfect solution. Not terribly expensive either. Win all around.

Alison, besides the 4" height diff, we're built very similarly. I think what you did may be the only solution. Though I think I may try another tack store breech-trying-on expedition first.

I'm about the same size as you (5'5 and 115lb), and all my curves are in my chest, so I have zero hips and a really small waist, but muscular legs (yeah, finding clothes that fit is SUPER fun). I LOVE the Grand Prix Hamptons. Low rise, wide waistband, and pretty slim cut. My new favorite pair of show breeches is a pair of kid's RJ's. They are the only breeches I've had that don't look like I have a full diaper on after wearing them for 10 minutes. The kids 16 is roughly the same size as the ladies 26, and a whole lot cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    I was going to say Grand Prix too.....LOL

They are pricey but fit really well. I LOVE LOVE them too. I have no hips and these fit me the best of all breeches.

Mine are the Hampton II SIDE ZIP.... I actually have PINK ones too... they were my first pair because they were on sale and that's when I discovered I loved them....
    The GP Hamptons are my faves too, I have them in all the colors for schooling (the tack/pet store I work at can get them, so I get them a bit cheaper). The grey ones are my absolute favorites, but I really like the blue and the pink ones as well. I just got a white pair for dressage shows and they aren't see-through, which is a huge bonus!

Damn it - so this all means that I should NOT waste my time with Grand Prix breeches, then, right? I love the look of them, and wanted to try them, but I definitely am not a straight-build person... (But it's equally fun for me to find breeches that truly fit, too!)
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.