The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fans and Lighting for New Barn?

I'm getting down to the nitty gritty details of my new barn and need more COTH advice.

Fans- which is better, ceiling fans over each stall or a big oscillating fan that points down the aisle?

Lighting- florescent? compact florescent? Any specific type of fixture?

Thanks!

There are soooo many lighting options...a lot will depend on the size of the barn, ceiling vs open beams, roof height, etc. Not to mention your own preferrence for looks. Some folks on here have gorgeous lantern type lights and other pretty types that really dress up the interior of a barn.

I personally went with boring covered single bulb lights. 6 in a 24 x 40 barn. If I had to do it over again, I'd have done it different. The light those make at night is nice and soft and very pretty but having them directly overhead and only 60 watts each means that the sides and bottom of the horse is in the shadows at night. As is the stall floor often. Makes it tough for checking them over or stall picking at night.

As for fans...well my barn is full of them. Most important is wiring and amps...make sure to add enough amps to support running lots of stuff like multiple fans.
    After that...well you're in a hot area. I do like overhead fans in each stall. (made for outdoor use in dusty or damp places) But I'd also add a side fan or roof vent fan so that the ceiling fans aren't just pulling down the hottest air trapped inside the roof. Something to circulate the air from outside to barn interior can make an enormous difference in how comfie your barn is in summer.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

For the stalls and washracks, consider vapor tight fixtures and 100-Watt equivalent CFLs.

The barn where I boarded put one in the center of each stall and two in each washrack. If the area above the stalls is open, you can put them over the dividers. The barn has a very high roof, so we used conventional porcelain sockets with CFL floodlamps along the ridge beam.

Each stall has a duplex outlet located about 7' above the floor and is used for heated buckets in the winter and box fans on timers in the summer. The outlets are on GFI breakers. If you're considering heated buckets, check the current draw for each bucket to determine the number of receptacles placed on each breaker.

Make sure your electrician is familiar with the codes for your area regarding dairies and barns. Many, if not most, are not. All fittings below a certain level should be of non-rusting, i.e. plastic, material. Ground wires should be carried all the way back to the breaker box, and any metallic conduit should not be relied upon for the ground circuit.

As far as getting rid of barn heat, the good ol' fashioned turbine-type is hard to beat for reliability and effectiveness.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

For lights: I got all my lights for both barns from Orion West lighting... http://http://equinelighting.com/

I've had these in my barn for 8 years now. Can't beat them! It's like daylight and turn on in all weather.

I have these in my stalls and down the aisle:
    http://http://equinelighting.com/stall_lighting.html

I have these on the aisle ends and wash stall (the bottom one):
    http://http://equinelighting.com/arena_lighting.html

Fans:

I have a double breezeway barn with huge windows in each stall. I have 20" high velocity circular fans on each stall. I also have 2 exhaust fans on the east end of the barn to draw the hot air out. I plan to put fans in the ceiling next year- but don't know how I'll set it up yet. Either ceiling fans over each stall or big fans down the aisle way to circulate air through? These are the exhaust fans:

http://http://www.globalindustrial.c.../b/exhaustfans

Regarding placement of lights: It's extremely helpful for vets and farriers if there is one area of your barn where the light is not directly over the horse. Instead, place one light on either side; that way the vet/farrier won't have to work in the shadow of the horse when examining the feet & legs.

We finished my dream barn a couple of years ago and put fluorescent tube lights down the center of the aisle, long-wise. It worked out well, but if I had it to do over again, I think that placing two fixtures long-wise over the cross-ties would have been nice (good light- no shadows). Also, we used the vapor tight fixtures with 100w bulbs in the stalls, just over the doors. BAD idea! Maybe if there was also a fixture in the back of the stall or if there were fixtures on both sides, there would be enough light, but as it is, it is pretty shadowy in there and hard to muck stalls when it's dark outside. We also used ceiling fans over all of our stalls- got the industrial Hampton Bay fans from Home Depot. We ended up switching all the fans over the horses to suck up rather than blow down (the fan over the equipment stall blows down) because all we were doing was blowing hot air from the loft down on our horses. I'm still not super happy with the fan arrangement. I think that ag. fans placed in the upper corner of the stall, blowing more horizontally might have been better... but don't tell my husband Check out my COMH page in my sig. line if you'd like to see the barn.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Thanks for all of your advice guys!

Definitely make sure to check the power of the fans you buy if you go for overheads. I'm no fan connoisseur so I assumed that because I wasn't buying some big honkin fans they wouldn't have a big honkin blow to them, but mine are SO obnoxious that they actually scare the bejeezus out of the horses when they go on... and they're set up that they go on for a while and then shut off for a bit and so on. While it IS pretty hilarious when one of the babies turns one on with their nose it was the biggest waste of money I spent on my barn... I still use box fans until I can afford to get different ceiling fans...
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I don't use fans so can't help you there (my barn has excellent cross-ventilation both E/W & N/S)

For lighting:
    If you haven't considered eavelights and/or skylights - DO!
    In my 36X36 center aisle barn & indoor arena I went with translucent 2' eavelights & wish I had done the 3'.
    They let in an enormous amount of daylight - so much that I rarely need the electric on as long as there's daylight.
    For lighting fixtures I chose useful over pretty and have 6' cold-ballast fluorescents. The fixtures in the barn run widthwise so stalls & aisle are both lit w/o shadows.
    There are 2 banks of lights, each operated with a separate switch.
    The switch is right by the service door so I never have to fumble in the dark. I can also turn on the one bank not directly over the stalls so I don't startle dozing horses.

In the 60X120 arena I have 3 banks of 5 lights and could have probably cut that down by 1/3.
    I rarely need more than the center bank on unless it is pitchblack out. Even then, if you don't mind some shadowy corners, the center bank provides plenty light to ride in.
    With all 3 banks lit you could perform surgery in there!

Remember to have your electrician place GFI outlets where they will be most convenient for you and inaccessible to horses.
    Eyeball your layout and determine where you might want to plug something in: radio, fridge, microwave, fans, etc.
    I have a 4-outlet plug set between the 2 stalls at the top - 8' up.
    It means I need to stand on a stepstool to plug in the heated buckets or clippers, but no chance of horses messing with the wires.

Enjoy your new place - sounds like you are now down to the fun part
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

2DogFarm- where did you find the 6' cold-ballast fluorescents and are they vapor tight? I'm having a bit of a hard time finding these for a reasonable price. Maybe a good price doesn't exist?

Thanks so much for the idea of the GFCI duplex outlets above each stall. Excellent idea!

One GFCI outlet can be wired to protect several conventional outlets. Saves some $$$.

This is a very handy and inexpensive device to have around the barn. It will test for live circuits, reveal wiring errors, and test GFCI circuits. Use it as soon as your wiring is completed and before the bill is paid. Licensed electricians DO make mistakes, as we found out in our barn, fortunately before any persons or horses were killed.

It's so easy to use a caveman can do it!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by GrandStratus View Post
    2DogFarm- where did you find the 6' cold-ballast fluorescents and are they vapor tight? I'm having a bit of a hard time finding these for a reasonable price. Maybe a good price doesn't exist?

Sorry, I am useless here - lights were installed 6 years ago and all I did was specify cold-ballast fixtures to the electrician at the advcie of the barn builder.
    Price was inclusive of everything as barn was built from the ground up, electric was a subcontractor.

If vapor-tight means they aren't fluky* when it is very humid out, then No, mine are not vapor-tight

*they go on, but sometimes in less than the Instant On I am used to otherwise
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

FrankB- Yes, I'm having my GFCI outlets wired this way to save $$$. I have an electrical background, but am still having a licensed electrician do the wiring AND since the barn will have its own electrical service it has to be inspected before being connected to power. That does look like a handy device. I'll have to get one. Safety is #1.