The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Confidence Building

Do you believe or have you found that training your horse and presenting them with (fair) challenges, builds their confidence? I heard a wonderful quote on a DVD the other day that made me think..hmm.. The instructor said that if you have a good foundation of trust and communication with your horse, then the challenges that you present to him will only build his confidence. I'm guilty of babying my 5 year old to the point where he is bored now I think. I think a lot of that is because I'm afraid I'll blow his confidence. He's VERY smart, but has a history of being not-so-confident, and I think that's what I became accustomed to. I've spent SO MUCH TIME building his trust and communication with me. I get compliments all the time now on how bonded he is to me and how responsive, which is very cool! But I haven't been working with a trainer this summer, so we've kinda been doing the same 'ol thing, staying in our comfort zone. He seems bored. So I'm thinking of starting weekly lessons with a trainer who will kick my butt a little, and I'm thinking my boy will enjoy the challenge! He does get awfully puffed up and proud when he thinks he's got something

Yes yes and YES!! It is SO important to build a horse's confidence progressively and it can be done easily via challenges they are prepared to handle. It will continue to make a huge difference in your horse