The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Always looking for the train wreck.
    Always complaining about it but never staying away.........

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Just couldn't resist, could you Bluey?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Did we have to bring back up yet one more slaughter thread?
    Yes, I saw this one on the slaughter thread and read it. I figured.... What the hell.. lets just add in this question. I was curious and don't comment much at all about the whole eat horsie thing..

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    In general, Anglophone countries/cultures are not horse eating..... Britain, USA, Ireland, Australia/NZ. However, everyone of those countries either slaughters horses and exports the meat, or exports it on the hoof to be slaughtered.

I can't think of any country where it is illegal to actually slaughter a horse or illegal to eat horse meat.
    Thanks this is what I was looking for in terms of a response lol
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Just couldn't resist, could you Bluey?
    I can't resist either--Bluey's post from 2010 starts with the "...renewable resource....one last use..." rhetoric. Three years is a long time to be spewing the exact same words over, and over, and over....

3 members found this post helpful.

Well well the gang's [almost] all here, so I thought I had better stop by with a link to this great article addressing the present issues with US horsemeat being sent to Europe and other consumers for human consumption

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/op...stry.html?_r=0

... there are questions unrelated to accurate labeling that must now be asked of industry and government regulators....

And as a general matter, it is forbidden to use certain veterinary medicines on any animals used for human consumption.

Despite these important food safety policies and standards, every year tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of animals are routinely given prohibited substances; racehorses, show horses and carriage horses regularly end up as meat intended for human consumption imported into the E.U.

In July 2012, residues of the drugs phenylbutazone (an anti-inflammatory drug used to treat pain and fever in animals) and clenbuterol (a drug that promotes leaner meat but that is banned in the United States and the E.U.) were found in a consignment of horse meat imported to Belgium from Canada.

E.U. regulations stipulate that only meat from horses with a known medicinal treatment history (an equine passport) can be slaughtered for export to the E.U. But no North American horses have these passports.

^^^ this was NOT the question. Has nothing to do with regulations, lables blah blah blah

Let me restate it .. What countries DO NOT eat or slaughter horses? NOT what meds did the horse take..
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Heck, on Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, he just ate donkey in China, where apparently they're raised as meat animals.
    Bourdain's No Reservations showed donkey in Sardinia where they are also raised as food animals. Apparently there are other areas with rather poor fodder that do the same.

In some cultures, it is perfectly normal to raise Dobbin from a foal up through a working life and then process and eat Dobbin. In some societies (think Mongolian and nearby Russian communities), eating the family horse when its working life is over is a mark of honour to the memory of the horse.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    ^^^ this was NOT the question. Has nothing to do with regulations, lables blah blah blah

Let me restate it .. What countries DO NOT eat or slaughter horses? NOT what meds did the horse take..
    Point being whatever countries do eat it now... that will probably change in the near future as will the countries who slaughter.

The EU has long said they will require a passport for US horses starting in July of 2013. That will certainly change some things

Furthermore, as the demand for it falls because of the concerns being raised in those consuming countries re: labeling and the safety of the product we will see fewer consumers and therefore fewer producers.

Sorry to have confused you.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

I think the easiest way to identify countries where consumption of horse meat is unlikely is to look for those that have a (historic) connection to the British Isles, through migration, conquest etc.

The Irish and the British haven't eaten horse meat since the Catholic church banned it as a pagan practice way, way back when. The pagan Anglo-Saxons did eat horse in certain rituals so not eating horse was being Christian. Other parts of Europe re-discovered horse meat in times of hardship and other parts of the world never stopped eating it.

1 members found this post helpful.